has anyone had good gains with tribulus

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
i was thinking about giveing tribulus a try, but i have read its only good if you have low test levels, has anyboy in there mid 20s had any bennefit from taking it and if so for how long/how much/what sort of gains did you get or is it just a waste of money ?

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
i was thinking about giveing tribulus a try, but i have read its only good if you have low test levels, has anyboy in there mid 20s had any bennefit from taking it and if so for how long/how much/what sort of gains did you get or is it just a waste of money ?
I have heard good things about it, and witnessed pretty good gains froma friend. One thing though, he took like 5 times the dose, it was the liquid form. He really saw good gains. I tried it, but not long enough to see gains. My skin was awfully oily, and I had to stop it. So yeah, if you aren't prone to acne, you should be fine.

Good luck ;)

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
it's not like that. It's not a prohormone, or even creatine. That being said, I used Endotest for a month and put on 4lbs, more than my usual rate. I can't say it's all because of the Endotest, but it helped. I felt great on it, motivated, and I'm sure that's what did it.

The only one I'd recommend is Diesel Test, which has bloodwork to back it up; you might look into Designer Supplements ActivaTe or ALRI Jungle WArfare, too.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now Tribulus 1000mg. <-----Thats the ticket right there. Its cheap and works. Start at 2 grams and work your way up to 4 grams, upping by 500mg each week. I got a ton stronger, didnt really look at the scale but more in the mirror but muscles were alot harder looking, and had a boner prolly 18 hrs out of the day..lol. I did get acnce from it but I look at this as atleast I know its working. Im in my 20's and will always use this PcT and while cutting. Heres how I dose it
Week 1: 500mg 1st thing in the morn./1000mg 60 min. pre-workout/ 500mg before bed
Week 2: 1000mg in mor./ 1000mg Pre-workout/ 1000mg before bed
Week 3: 1000mg in morn./ 2000mg Pre-workout/ 1000mg before bed
Week 4: SAME AS WEEK 2
Week 5: SAME AS WEEK 1

GOOD LUCK

Proteinpowda

Awards
Ok stop reading supplement ads...and start doing some research. My first advice to you would be to take some anatomy and physiology courses.

As far as tribulus there is very little clinicial research on it. If I'm wrong please cite me some articles based on human studies from pubmed or medline. Second off are you a doctor? Have you had your blood levels checked? If not how do you know you have low test?
Third: Tribulus is theorized to increase LH output which should increase test output. If this theoretically work over time this would lead to a slight desentization of Leydig cell receptors and they would output less testosterone in response to equivocal amounts of LH.

As far as 6-OXO I credit Ergopharm for taking the time and expense to actually do clinical trials on it. The only that that bothered me a bit about them was the rather low levels of testosterone present in their studies participants. As levels of estradiol did not decline; they theorized that the 6-oxo bound to aromatase, and receptors in the body picked up on this and told the hypothalamus to start ouputting some more GNRH...raising LH, FSH, and in turn test...and since there was more testosterone in circulation more became bound with aromatase and was then converted to estrogen.

I'm not sold on it.....100%. I would choose it over Tribulus though.

Also come on; if your test levels are really that low you can
1) Increase resistance training (Higher GH output and increased TEST)
2) Decrease Fat mass (This is theoretical and I"m basing it on that there is a high concentration of aromatase in adipocyte cells).
3) Also since adiponectin concentrations are negatively correlated with adipose tissue, decreasing fat mass will increase adiponectin and enhance insulin sensitivity.

Also when I have asked on other forums about taking Nolvadex or clomid (which I'll get to in a second) to promote muscle gains the general response is that they will not do much.

So nolvadex and clomid are basically weak forms of estrogens (antagonists), or SERMS to be more exact that pretty much exert little if any (depending on the type of tissue) on estrogen receptors and prevent the binding of estrogen (whereas 6oxo theoretically looks to bind to aromatase and prohit it from binding to testosterone). These are clinically tested substances and I remember reading an abstract from a clomid study where it was shown to raise FREE TEST (testosterone that is not bound to SHBG) close to 1400% in older individuals. If these are not going to promote muscle gains...then why the hell will test boosters like tribulus and 6oxo? At most as per their claims they'll boost your test around 100%. Also remember that estrogen is linked to other hormones in your body (GH, IGF, etc) and completely obliterating it from your system will hamper gains.

Proteinpowda

Awards
So in the end you're QUITE OFTEN SAFER taking a pharmaceutically based product over an OTC product based on the double-blind placebo controlled studies done on it. For example if you removed all the legalties from society would you rather take a compound like Methyl-1-Test or Superdrol or Pheraplex with little clinical research behind it...kind of a find out as you go along by having blood panels done (and finding a sympathetic physician who is knowledgeable in this field), and has been on the market for a matter of months, or an actual steroid that has 15-60 years of clinical research behind it...where we know what it does, and what it does not.

No I'm not promoting steroids, I'm just promoting the idea that quite often we do not know what we're taking; especially with OTC supplements. And saying something has been used in the Amazon or as a herbal medicine for thousands of year qualifies NOTHING. If you tell someone that something will have an effect they're predisposed to locate that effect (placebo) and inadvertenely replicate it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I posted a thread about Tribulus called "Tribulus Inneffective" in which more than a few studies were posted. Start there

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Many people seem to get a positive effect from tribulus. I haven't heard of any major gains from it alone per se, but if it has a pro-sexual effect that can often improve motivation and performance in the gym as well. The problem with many of the studies on this and other herbal ingredients is that often they don't use a standarized form. This is true for some supplement companies as well. Regardless, I think tribulus may fall into the adaptogen realm. Adaptogens often don't have a clear method of action, but they all reduce stress at some level and many have positive sexual effects and some even more pronounced in their effects on muscle gains etc. So perhaps they may not have a direct effect of building muscle, but they may be exerting their effects by lessening the stress related damage that can hinder gains.

With all that said, tribulus wouldn't be my first choice to use, but it and others can be a nice ADDITION. As a stand alone don't expect too much.

TSC

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people seem to get a positive effect from tribulus. I haven't heard of any major gains from it alone per se, but if it has a pro-sexual effect that can often improve motivation and performance in the gym as well. The problem with many of the studies on this and other herbal ingredients is that often they don't use a standarized form. This is true for some supplement companies as well. Regardless, I think tribulus may fall into the adaptogen realm. Adaptogens often don't have a clear method of action, but they all reduce stress at some level and many have positive sexual effects and some even more pronounced in their effects on muscle gains etc. So perhaps they may not have a direct effect of building muscle, but they may be exerting their effects by lessening the stress related damage that can hinder gains.

With all that said, tribulus wouldn't be my first choice to use, but it and others can be a nice ADDITION. As a stand alone don't expect too much.

TSC
Great post. I believe I have seen some studies on Trib. having adatagenic capabilities as it pertained to oxidative stress, and maybe even lipid peroxidation. So like you said it may not be able to have a 1:1 cause/effect ratio on tissue growth but it may have additional athletic benefits.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Anecdotal side bar - a guy in my office that I lift with (in his late 20's) takes trib (don't know the brand) says he ha takes 3-4 a day (don't know his dosing sched). I do know that on the days he takes them I have a hard time slowing him down on his reps and weights. He wants to just load the bar up and slam the rep, no control or negative portion. It seems to jack him up big time.

I don't know how much is actual vs. placebo effect but it definitely has some kind of effect.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i have heard people say trib is worthless as an anabolic-all they get is increased libido. well nothing gets me pumped up like a random woody.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I like the effects of Tribulus and 7Keto, when administered together during post cycle therapy.... :think:

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure about the effectiveness of tribulus to put on mass. I tried Tribex first and saw an increase in energy level but that's about it. I then moved on to SAN Endotest and I believe I got results from it. I'm not sure if it was the workout intensity and diet that helped add the size but I'm positive the Endotest gave me a harder look and cut out some body fat.

Proteinpowda

Awards
I'm not sure about the effectiveness of tribulus to put on mass. I tried Tribex first and saw an increase in energy level but that's about it. I then moved on to SAN Endotest and I believe I got results from it. I'm not sure if it was the workout intensity and diet that helped add the size but I'm positive the Endotest gave me a harder look and cut out some body fat.
You're sure huh? How can you qualify/quantifiy this?
Skinfold measurements? Underwater weighing? Measurements?
Were all other variables controlled?

If not there's no merit to this statement.
Judge your supplements with a sense of science; 99% of replies about supplements seem like quackery.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're sure huh? How can you qualify/quantifiy this?
Skinfold measurements? Underwater weighing? Measurements?
Were all other variables controlled?

If not there's no merit to this statement.
Judge your supplements with a sense of science; 99% of replies about supplements seem like quackery.
And this is your revelation to the board??

99% of responses about supplements seem like quackery because 99% of the ingredients in supplements lack any controlled, human studies behind them. And when human studies do exist they are not for our intended application.

Proteinpowda

Awards

99% of responses about supplements seem like quackery because 99% of the ingredients in supplements lack any controlled, human studies behind them. And when human studies do exist they are not for our intended application.

Yes, b/c double-blind studies involving subjects are both expensive and often hard to do b/c of ethical reasons. Also for a study to be totally randomized requires a decent amount of participants (e.g. does one type of a population respond to a supplement better than another?).

And human studies are not for your intended application b/c generally they are conducted for more medical reasons...b/c that's where the funding is. And I don't see reasons for supplements to be subsidized or studies funded for them: that's the duty of the manufacturers....this is a FOR-PROFIT business.
Who is John Galt?

And no: what I said is not a revelation to this board: it's just that the placebo effect highly comes into play with supplements b/c for one we are not keeping a lab notebook with records and we don't want to feel like we wasted our money.
A big step for ALL supplement companies would to at be to carry the USP designation.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, b/c double-blind studies involving subjects are both expensive and often hard to do b/c of ethical reasons. Also for a study to be totally randomized requires a decent amount of participants (e.g. does one type of a population respond to a supplement better than another?).

And human studies are not for your intended application b/c generally they are conducted for more medical reasons...b/c that's where the funding is. And I don't see reasons for supplements to be subsidized or studies funded for them: that's the duty of the manufacturers....this is a FOR-PROFIT business.
Who is John Galt?

And no: what I said is not a revelation to this board: it's just that the placebo effect highly comes into play with supplements b/c for one we are not keeping a lab notebook with records and we don't want to feel like we wasted our money.
A big step for ALL supplement companies would to at be to carry the USP designation.
And manufacturer studies are often vague, biased, and lack any type of external validity as they choose favourable subject panels which will reflect the positive and deflect the negative.

You are right, studies for OUR (as I assume you use supplements as well, I am speaking as a supplement user/weightlifter) will never be government funded as they would serve no societal purpose.

So, back to my original point of why one such as yourself would act surprised enough, or feel compelled to make a post about something you already know?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The point is that most supplements on the market are founded on brotelligence, and a lack of research. So, I just could not understand why you would jump on someone for expressing something you obviously already know.

Proteinpowda

Awards
The point is that most supplements on the market are founded on brotelligence, and a lack of research. So, I just could not understand why you would jump on someone for expressing something you obviously already know.
Why would I jump on him? I guess the fact that I'm a kinesiology major/pre-med and understand what real research is and what goes into it, what's required, etc. Broknowledge is not "research," reading a supplement company's advertisement for a product is not research, nor is reading someone's else's experience on a product research. Granted we can pool our experiences together and form some sort of knowledge base but it's not concrete.

As far as research goes you're right. Most of it's animal research. Optimizing human performance is not something the govt will fund (unless it's military based), nor will pharmaceutical companies neccessarily invest money in it b/c they don't feel there is enough money to be made in it. Hell optimizing humans, lowering cholesterol, raising HDL, solves a lot of problems that we currently medicate ourselves for.

So to further clarify...I'm jumping on him b/c people need to wake up and realize what we're talking about here... if you want to make a claim be able to substansiate it.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

When will people learn that there is a slight difference between a human being and a lab rat?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
this is fun, keep it up. this is why we participate in forums to sort out the supps that have a high probability of working for us. we are the research guinea pigs. trib has been around long enough that it must be working for the majority of people that have tried it.

anabolicrhino

anabolicrhino

Awards
  • Established
I hope it is okay to post on this board without holding any advanced degrees. I have taken tribulus for the last ten years. It has never given me any "gains" similar to anything anabolic. It does give me a mood lift espescially in the AM. It initially stimulates my libido then fades to baseline after a few weeks. It will also have a slight stimulating effect in my testicles and seems to cause them to hang lower! I find tribulus is a nice "pick me up" inbetween cycles.
I woiuld rank it below B-trione and Nettles as a real or perceived test booster.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would I jump on him? I guess the fact that I'm a kinesiology major/pre-med and understand what real research is and what goes into it, what's required, etc. Broknowledge is not "research," reading a supplement company's advertisement for a product is not research, nor is reading someone's else's experience on a product research. Granted we can pool our experiences together and form some sort of knowledge base but it's not concrete.

As far as research goes you're right. Most of it's animal research. Optimizing human performance is not something the govt will fund (unless it's military based), nor will pharmaceutical companies neccessarily invest money in it b/c they don't feel there is enough money to be made in it. Hell optimizing humans, lowering cholesterol, raising HDL, solves a lot of problems that we currently medicate ourselves for.

So to further clarify...I'm jumping on him b/c people need to wake up and realize what we're talking about here... if you want to make a claim be able to substansiate it.
Im in the same area of study as you. So why dont you step away from the brain-wash all our professors are telling us and form your own opinion on things. Yes I'll agree with some of your statements but theres alot of ignorance in your statments as well. Alot of people have taken supp. with these claims and SEEN results so dont get all over people.....man just chill

So what if its a placebo effect, he got the results with the supp. that he wasnt getting without.......

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
trib has been around long enough that it must be working for the majority of people that have tried it.
The length of time it's been on the market implies that more people are continuing to buy it than it costs to be produced. People still take apple-cider vinegar pills for weight-loss.

If I had a quarter for every time I saw somebody down a scoop of NO-Xplode, go to the gym, crank out 3 sets of flat bench @ 135, 3 sets of 7-21's, 100 situps and a set of shrugs ; and say that NO-Xplode is the greatest supplement there ever was, I could probably buy out BSN. The bottom line that I'm trying to get at is that people take supplements because they "like" them, and lack any substantial evidence that this particular supplement was the cause for any sort of benefits. I think they call that a placebo effect.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Good for you. And I guess the fact that any individual who is beyond their second year of either Social or Natural sciences understands what real research is and what goes into it, what's required, etc., did not occur to you when trying to seem intellectually credible?

If you expect to play 'Empirical Evidence Sheriff" to every individual, on every board who claims they gained something off 'Product X' without a cross-sectional muscle tissue biopsy and independently reviewed article on said biopsy, you are in for a long and frustrating career.

Sad to say, but anecdotal evidence is the modus operandi of many companies and because of that ultimate imperative shared anecdotal experience between (mostly) non-partisan testers is all most people have. I think you may need to step out of the classroom for a bit and realize where it is practical, plausible, and feasible to apply the methods you have learned.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

jesus, people go to schools of higher learning and think they're all that. Relax, you're not a genius until you actually graduate. :jaw:

Now, if no unsubstantiatec claims were ever made on this board, there'd be 3 posts. Sure, there's a lot of shaky statements made, but with a little patience we can spot useful trends.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
to answer the mans question i personally have had good results with blue rhino added to green bulge/white blood, made some decent gains on it-would recommend. san endotest is also good stacked with activate. imo trib seems to add something to other supps. actually endotest would be good with pfull/activate.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Good for you. And I guess the fact that any individual who is beyond their second year of either Social or Natural sciences understands what real research is and what goes into it, what's required, etc., did not occur to you when trying to seem intellectually credible?

If you expect to play 'Empirical Evidence Sheriff" to every individual, on every board who claims they gained something off 'Product X' without a cross-sectional muscle tissue biopsy and independently reviewed article on said biopsy, you are in for a long and frustrating career.

Sad to say, but anecdotal evidence is the modus operandi of many companies and because of that ultimate imperative shared anecdotal experience between (mostly) non-partisan testers is all most people have. I think you may need to step out of the classroom for a bit and realize where it is practical, plausible, and feasible to apply the methods you have learned.

.... :clap2: .... :goodpost:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
jesus, people go to schools of higher learning and think they're all that. Relax, you're not a genius until you actually graduate. :jaw:
even then it's still up for debate

brittishbulldog

Awards
  • Established
to answer the mans question i personally have had good results with blue rhino added to green bulge/white blood, made some decent gains on it-would recommend. san endotest is also good stacked with activate. imo trib seems to add something to other supps. actually endotest would be good with pfull/activate.
thank you for being one of the few people who understood my Question.

To be honest just going to school and passing some exams in Fitness, nutrition, anatomy does not mean that everything that you have learnt is corect and although I do have many qulifications in fitness. I found gym science still a very usefull information.