Milk vs Water...

tek

Awards
which one do yall mix with your protein drink after workouts ?? im taking Pro COmplex(whey) and i herd milk takes awhile to digest. so by mixing milk with my protein. will that slow down the process ?? i want something i can take after a workout in the 30-45min window .. thanks guys

Jdub

Awards
I usually use milk as it is a good source of casien protein to help aid in slow digestion.

Jdub

sometimes i use water, just when i want to down it really quick, i find that it is smoother in water!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I take in milk before following my workouts when bulking, and water before and after when cutting and it has been working out great.Milk is a great source of protein for pre and post workout

picasso

Awards
In the morning i drink powder with cranberry juice and green tea and milk. post workout is just water.

Big Matt

Big Matt

All The Whey Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
I take in milk before following my workouts when bulking, and water before and after when cutting and it has been working out great.Milk is a great source of protein for pre and post workout
Took the words right outta my mouth.

Oats n' chicken

Awards
After work out I have my whey in juice made from the following: cellery, carrets, spinich, brocli, apple, bannana, peanut butter, egg flax seeds, and oats. Its not really much of a liquid, more on the solid side half the time..

Then at night right before bed, I put it in some milk, and compared to my PWO shake it is ****in great.

dr ozz

dr ozz

Awards
I Think taste normally improves with milk but it easier to wash down with water. In my opinion milk PWO makes your stomach feel a bit full and that makes it hard for me to be able to eat a big meal 1-2 hours post workout. On other occasions skim milk is perfect and a good source for slow ingested protein, perfect for the night-shake!

tek

Awards
thanks guys for the info. from what i read. Milk has casien in it. which then would make it a slow digesting protein. afterworks you want a fast digest supp within that 30min intake. so mixing the milk with whey protein slow down the whey digesting time ??

UncleRemus

Awards
I use water. Skim milk my not hinder abosrbtion too much, but if the milk has fat in it it will. You want the quickest absorbtion after a workout, so I go with whey, creatine and dextrose mixed water. Seems like that is the best mixture for the fastest absorbtion.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if you take a whey isolate mixed in milk, you are not killing the faster digestion of the isolate. It may slow down a slight bit, but nothing substantial.

I use water mixed proteins (40-50gms) during the workout, with no "shake" per se right after. I have a protein meal an hour after which should work fine. I do scoff down some fruit right after the workout with a couple hundred mgs of R-ALA.

Later on in the day I'll switch back to milk mixed proteins.

Later,
R

DoubleD2586

Awards
By adding milk with your protein shake, you are adding un-needed lactose into your system. This does slow down the digestion rate and your absorption rate in the large intestine, which is where absorption of nutrients occur. By using water, your body is able to rid itself of it and, and it's then able to fully absorb your protein intake. Simply put, use water, and your body can absorb more protein than if you use milk. Hope this helps.

tek

Awards
By adding milk with your protein shake, you are adding un-needed lactose into your system. This does slow down the digestion rate and your absorption rate in the large intestine, which is where absorption of nutrients occur. By using water, your body is able to rid itself of it and, and it's then able to fully absorb your protein intake. Simply put, use water, and your body can absorb more protein than if you use milk. Hope this helps.
thanks bro, that helpd out alot. =]

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Ive enjoyed milk all my life, and lately im starting to think maybe milk is made for baby cows not adult humans. It causes excess mucus production in the esophagus and sinus and heavy milk drinkers usually wake in the morning feeling sick or congested. I would have to blow my nose every morning and have the sniffles as well as hawking lougies. No more milk, no more lougies.

00integrals

00integrals

Awards
I use skim milk with every protein shake ...

millenium girl

Awards
which one do yall mix with your protein drink after workouts ?? im taking Pro COmplex(whey) and i herd milk takes awhile to digest. so by mixing milk with my protein. will that slow down the process ?? i want something i can take after a workout in the 30-45min window .. thanks guys
I hate the taste of milk. I mix my Whey protein powder with water.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome first post bro. :thumbsup: I can't remember where on the board I read this (sleeper effect), but I found the same thing via some research. I take PWO shakes with water and any others taken are done so with skim milk.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, are you suggesting that mixing protein powder (whey isolates) with milk will have an effect on muscle hypertrophy?

I have never seen any research to this effect....let me know if there is any evidence of this.

Thanks,
R

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry guys, are you suggesting that mixing protein powder (whey isolates) with milk will have an effect on muscle hypertrophy?

I have never seen any research to this effect....let me know if there is any evidence of this.

Thanks,
R
I have read that milk can hinder the digestion of whey PWO(not sure to what degree though). That's why I take my PWO shake with water only and ideally follow up with a meal about an hour later...and by the way, I go through about four gallons or more of skim milk per week...definetly not saying don't drink milk.

Maybe I got some bad info about the milk PWO, but that's been stuck in my head for at least a year.