Green tea compound has antidiabetic effect

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
September 29, 2006

Green tea compound has antidiabetic effect

The October, 2006 issue of the Journal of Nutrition featured an article by Swiss researchers concerning their finding that epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a flavanol in green tea, alleviates diabetes in mice and rats.

In one experiment, type 2 diabetic mice were given diets containing 2.5, 5.0, or 10.0 grams per kilogram of a green tea extract providing over 94 percent EGCG. A control group of diabetic mice received no EGCG, and another group were treated with an antidiabetic drug. Blood glucose was analyzed before treatment and weekly until the study's conclusion at 7 weeks. An oral glucose tolerance test was administered at 5 weeks. At the end of the experiment, blood samples taken from the mice were analyzed for glucose, free fatty acids, triglycerides, and plasma insulin levels.

The researchers conducted a similar experiment with rats who received the EGCG concentrate at 5 grams per kilogram diet for ten weeks while a placebo group received the antidiabetic drug.

EGCG was found to dose-dependently improve glucose levels and glucose tolerance in diabetic mice after 5 weeks. Mice who received the highest dose of EGCG experienced a 36.9 percent average reduction in glucose levels compared to animals who did not receive the compound. Triglyceride levels were also dose-dependently reduced, and plasma insulin was increased. Diabetic rats who received EGCG also experienced improved glucose tolerance and increased plasma insulin, and had lower free fatty acids.

In an additional experiment in which the research team tested the effect of the EGCG concentrate on H411E rat liver tumor cells, the compound was found to downregulate genes involved in lipid metabolism and glucose formation.

"Dietary supplementation with EGCG could potentially contribute to nutritional strategies for the prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus," the authors conclude.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking camphibolic which has Green Tea in it. I am not seeing much in the way of fat reduction yet, but I'll pay more attention to my blood glucose now.

Thanks,
R

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
same here with the camp,but ive found increased benefits from taking extra green tea extract along with the camp. not sure why they dont have more gt in with the formula but there it is.usp has even said this as well.
im starting to take extra gt extract for egcg.one of the few supps it would be hard to get to much of.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Let’s see here, I weigh around 135 kilos so I would need to take around 675 grams or about 1 and 1/2 pounds of the stuff a day at 5 grams per kilogram. I like that they look at stuff like this but as a diabetic I find this frustrating sometime as the value of these studies is questionable, what I really want to know is how well real world dosing would affect the conditions. If I took all the things that were suppose to help me it would make me quite sick really. It would be nice if they would do more practical studies to follow this stuff up with. I am planning to try the stuff anyways but not for any benefits related to diabetes.

Must spread some reps first, thanks bro for all your post here. keeps me reading

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I saw no difference in my BG with camphibolic.

I may have been underdosing, though, in general...I did not see a whole heck of a lot from this supplement. I am a Cissus Rx fan, but not a camphibolic fan.

R