Ephedra and acne

Matt_Stuart

Awards
Has anyone ever heard of a side of effect or anyone getting acne from ephedra? I am trying to research this one because a customer at my store is getting acne after taking it and was thinking its toxins coming out of the body sorta of like if someone did speed. Meth is on a completely different level but it is a good point, just trying to get other information or personal experience and an explanation for this.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
eeh...I've taken E off and on for about 6yrs for cutters. Never had a problem with it.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I cycle ephedrine every few months and Ive never gotten acne from it. What kind of dose was he taking? I usually build up to 75mg daily but have went up to 150mg and still had no acne.

HairyLarry35

Awards
It's in his head. I never had a problem with E or came acrossed it in any logs prior to my experience. Paranoia is his problem.

The only possible reason I can think is that he is touching his face too much, and not washing his skin enough. Or maybe he is entering that wonderful time in life when hormones are NATURALLY produced :squat:

To sum it up: No, it does not cause acne.

HL

Orgoonian

Orgoonian

Lipozene Rep
Awards
When my wife takes it,she tends to touch her face more often than normal,and she breaks out.Acne type breakout,not yer regular 'ol pimples:aargh:

:woohoo: She has since switched to plain old green tea(CNW),and is once again enjoying her complexion.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
When my wife takes it,she tends to touch her face more often than normal,and she breaks out.Acne type breakout,not yer regular 'ol pimples:aargh:

:woohoo: She has since switched to plain old green tea(CNW),and is once again enjoying her complexion.
Green Tea extract goes well with Ephedrine+Caffeine :)

Orgoonian

Orgoonian

Lipozene Rep
Awards
Green Tea extract goes well with Ephedrine+Caffeine :)

Shhhhhh!
I have assumed control of the ECA in my household.

Seriously though,i do love the green tea with Ephedrine,It's a shame it affects my wife the way it does.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
I've never noticed a problem if I had one.

EC + EGCG is a great stack. Capsaicin is a nice addition as well IMO.

MacMan

Awards
Has anyone ever heard of a side of effect or anyone getting acne from ephedra? I am trying to research this one because a customer at my store is getting acne after taking it and was thinking its toxins coming out of the body sorta of like if someone did speed. Meth is on a completely different level but it is a good point, just trying to get other information or personal experience and an explanation for this.

While there are all types of toxic substances associated with methamphetamine use, the skin blemishes seen on meth. addicts (whether on the face or on other parts of the body) are not so much related to the toxins as it to the addicts constantly picking at themselves. It's not acne per se that cause the very visible skin blemishes with meth. use, but the constant picking at their skin that cause the problems.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
While there are all types of toxic substances associated with methamphetamine use, the skin blemishes seen on meth. addicts (whether on the face or on other parts of the body) are not so much related to the toxins as it to the addicts constantly picking at themselves. It's not acne per se that cause the very visible skin blemishes with meth. use, but the constant picking at their skin that cause the problems.
Could it be that it was this persons 1st time using ephedrine? Perhaps it was too much for him and it gave him a nervous compulsion like touching his face too much?

tntsound

Awards
My wife is currently taking lipodrene and 200mg caffeine twice a day. She is also breaking out with acne. So it is not in someones head. Everything effects peole differently. Furthermore she does not want to stop because of the positive effects.

TNT

HairyLarry35

Awards
This is a pretty in depth journal based off of clinical studies about the side effects of ephedra, and not once did it say anything about acne.

http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/evidence/pdf/ephedra/ephedra.pdf

475 pages of descriptions.... with the vainity of American trying to look better by losing weight, only a few would sacrifice the ugliness of acne. I think there would have been a study on it at some point or another.

But who knows!!! That sh*t is banned anyway, right? No more studies from the good ol' USA, that's for sure :thumbsup:

tntsound

Awards
This is a pretty in depth journal based off of clinical studies about the side effects of ephedra, and not once did it say anything about acne.

http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/evidence/pdf/ephedra/ephedra.pdf

475 pages of descriptions.... with the vainity of American trying to look better by losing weight, only a few would sacrifice the ugliness of acne. I think there would have been a study on it at some point or another.

But who knows!!! That sh*t is banned anyway, right? No more studies from the good ol' USA, that's for sure :thumbsup:
I completly understand where you are comming from. I am just stating the facts of my wife's situation. maybe it is something in the Lipodrene, maybe she is a one in a million case. What ever it is when she is off the eca stack the acne goes away. She has been a personal trainer for 16 yrs and she on ly breaks out when doing an eca stack. Her diet changes a little but other than that everything stays the same. Go figure?

I forgot to mention that she only breaks out for the first 2 weeks. Then it goes away.

Epherdrine HCL is not banned. FYI. You can still get 25mg x 200 caps for $50.

TNT

HairyLarry35

Awards
Salt Lake Tribune - Ruling upholds ban on ephedra

Yes, it is banned. But, you are allowed to sell your stock. Search "ephedra ban" and you will see. BTW TNT, I totally believe that there is a possibility your wife may respond to ephedra in such a way. I just have not seen it documented. I did not mean to imply that you were lying. People are allergic to certain things, build resistances and become immune. It can happen. That is probably not the case with your wife, but not enough research has been done for the long term effects or total population effects that ephedra has on people. Unfortunately, it is now un-ethical to test in U.S.A. because of the ban and we won't see any studies out of our country for some time.

The fact that you and M.S. (the thread starter) have known people with similar experiences, in terms of how they reacted to ephedra, shows that there might just be some things left to study after all.

Thank God it clears up after 2 weeks for your wife!! Best of luck to you guys and if it's working and you feel good with the results, then more power to you. Just make sure you research the negative effects that I posted and understand the possibilities. Good luck, God bless, and I hope for the best.

HL

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I used ephedrine HCL 25 mg and never had acne probs for the duration of my usage.

MacMan

Awards
Could it be that it was this persons 1st time using ephedrine? Perhaps it was too much for him and it gave him a nervous compulsion like touching his face too much?
It is possible, but I wouldn't think it was likely. I would think it would be dose and duration dependent. I do believe it is possible that with high doses, the same side effects could be seen. However, I wouldn't expect this with first time use, unless the high dosages were continued for some duration. Not a bad theory though. If the person was very sensitive to ephedrine or like products, I think it could happen.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
MattStuart,

if by chance you are monitoring for an answer: Do you know what the product was they were using, and at what dose?

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The first time I ever took an ECY stack I broke out with acne. It was odd as I never had it even as a teenager. I put it down to the change in diet, extra excercise and other factors that my body was going through.
Usually when you are taking a product like E you change many variables in your lifestyle so it may or may not be related.

HairyLarry35

Awards
:yawn: Ephedra may be banned, but Ephedrine HCL and sulfate are not

Oh, really? Then I wonder what this is:

FDA Statement on Tenth Circuit’s Ruling to Uphold FDA Decision Banning Dietary Supplements Containing Ephedrine Alkaloids

"Background: On Aug. 17, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Denver upheld the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) final rule declaring all dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids adulterated, and therefore illegal for marketing in the United States, reversing a decision by the District Court of Utah.

The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling demonstrates the soundness of FDA's decision to ban dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids, consistent with the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994. The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals also found that Congress clearly required FDA to conduct a risk-benefit analysis under DSHEA.

FDA conducted an exhaustive and highly resource-intensive evaluation of the relevant scientific data evidence on ephedrine alkaloids before issuing its final rule, which became effective in 2004. The court found that the 133,000-page administrative record compiled by FDA supports the agency's findings that dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids pose an unreasonable risk of illness or injury to users, especially those suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure.

No dosage of dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids is safe and the sale of these products in the United States is illegal and subject to FDA enforcement action."

and this must be that action:

FDA Asks U.S. Marshals to Seize Dietary Supplements

FDA Asks U.S. Marshals to Seize Dietary Supplements
Products Being Promoted With Drug Claims

At the request of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on September 5, 2006, U.S. Marshals seized quantities of Ellagimax capsules, Coral Max capsules, Coral Max without Iron capsules, and Advanced Arthritis Support capsules distributed by Advantage Nutraceuticals L.L.C. of Fort Walton Beach, Florida, valued at approximately $55,000.00.

The products are alleged to be in violation of the new drug and misbranding provisions of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

and then there's an even more on other reliable sites!:

FDA Ban on Ephedrine Dietary Supplements Upheld

Yael Waknine

September 6, 2006 — The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has notified healthcare professionals and consumers that all dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids are illegal to market in the United States, according to an alert sent recently from MedWatch, the FDA's safety information and adverse event reporting program.

The notification followed a ruling in the FDA's favor by the US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Denver, thereby overturning a decision made by the District Court of Utah.

The products have been deemed adulterated and therefore illegal for marketing in this country since 2004, when the FDA issued a final ruling based on an exhaustive evaluation of relevant scientific data evidence showing that their use was linked to an unreasonable risk for illness or injury, particularly in patients with underlying heart failure and high blood pressure.

Adverse events related to use of dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids should be reported to the FDA's MedWatch reporting program by phone at 1-800-FDA-1088, by fax at 1-800-FDA-0178, online at MedWatch Home Page, or by mail to 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787.

HairyLarry35

Awards
:jaw:
You know, every once in a while, a fella needs to be humbled. Looks like my time is now.

FDA has concluded that synthetically produced ephedrine alkaloids are not “dietary ingredients” as defined in 21 USC §321 (ff)(1)…FDA has further concluded that products containing synthetic ephedrine alkaloids do not fall under the dietary supplement regulatory scheme and should be regulated as drugs.[7]

Under this interpretation of the FDCA, the FDA has recently taken action against E’OLA International and its contract manufacturer Nature's Energy, Inc, by seizing their adulterated product, Amp II Pro Drops, and the bulk Ephedrine HCl used to manufacture it.[8]

In its complaint requesting product seizure against E’OLA, the FDA asserts that synthetic Ephedrine HCl cannot be considered a legitimate dietary supplement ingredient because it is a new drug that was not marketed as a dietary supplement prior to its approval in 1948.[9] This court-proven argument invariably holds true for other synthetic ephedrine alkaloids such as PPA and pseudoephedrine.[10]

:gotsearch

And there's the small print. When I see the FDA banning things, sometimes I start posting like a bat-outta-hell. I owe you fellas an apology. Hell, I should take my own advice and do more thorough research before running my mouth like that. There is some chatter about a talk paper and plans to ban HCL, but I didn't see anything conclusive.

tntsound

Awards
:jaw:
You know, every once in a while, a fella needs to be humbled. Looks like my time is now.

FDA has concluded that synthetically produced ephedrine alkaloids are not “dietary ingredients” as defined in 21 USC §321 (ff)(1)…FDA has further concluded that products containing synthetic ephedrine alkaloids do not fall under the dietary supplement regulatory scheme and should be regulated as drugs.[7]

Under this interpretation of the FDCA, the FDA has recently taken action against E’OLA International and its contract manufacturer Nature's Energy, Inc, by seizing their adulterated product, Amp II Pro Drops, and the bulk Ephedrine HCl used to manufacture it.[8]

In its complaint requesting product seizure against E’OLA, the FDA asserts that synthetic Ephedrine HCl cannot be considered a legitimate dietary supplement ingredient because it is a new drug that was not marketed as a dietary supplement prior to its approval in 1948.[9] This court-proven argument invariably holds true for other synthetic ephedrine alkaloids such as PPA and pseudoephedrine.[10]

:gotsearch

And there's the small print. When I see the FDA banning things, sometimes I start posting like a bat-outta-hell. I owe you fellas an apology. Hell, I should take my own advice and do more thorough research before running my mouth like that. There is some chatter about a talk paper and plans to ban HCL, but I didn't see anything conclusive.
No offence taken. The fine print always gets everyone. Except lawyers. Wait are they considered people too?

TNT

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
pantothenic acid aka vitamin b5 helps with acne be it from what you are taking or not

mattjw348

mattjw348

Awards
i just started taking ECA and my acne has actually started to clear up since starting.

nikkiwong2000

Awards
Well I've never had a problem with acne.... but as soon as I take ephedra pills I start to break out all on my chin area and forehead, and my skin tends to get extremely oily. I love ephedra, but I had to stop taking it if I wanted to see my skin happy again.

pallojaakko

Banned
Awards
im very prone to acne,still never had any problems with using ephedra...just saying

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Could e toxic junk in her fat cells, but probably a heat rash.