Alpha Lipoic acid

AlexParty

Do they only have it in capsules or do they sell it in liquid?? If they have the liquid form then I'd get that sicne it would absorb better and less is required than tablet form am I not right? What do you guys think? :confused:

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Have it it powder and could make a suspension...not sure whether it might "harm" the ALA.

Also, not sure how liquid would improve efficacy. Your not injecting or applying transdermal so oral is oral.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
would probably taste like some funky buttmud if there were even a purpose for doing it... can't think of one, really.. they're actually not tablets either Alex, but capsules, which are generally okay for most things oral (some tabs can be compressed waaay too much, etc)

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Last I read, uncapped ALA was ****. Such is the case with our old friend Cell Tech. However, I could be wrong, as there are new innovations frequently. But, Cell Tech still sucks:D

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Last I read, uncapped ALA was ****. Such is the case with our old friend Cell Tech. However, I could be wrong, as there are new innovations frequently. But, Cell Tech still sucks:D
According to the other scotty (scotty-o), he hasn't noticed any difference from using capped ALA than from using the powder. This whole thing about air sensitivity stems from the article on BB.com about the basics of ALA, but it never quoted any references as to where they go this info. AST also makes the same claims, but once again, doesn't site a reference.

As for alex's question, just get the capped version buddy. I've been using it for about a year now, and i'm just loving it.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have no recollection of using such a product. :D

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, you know... that's just what I... hear, from... people who waste their money, yeah...

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Before (I believe) bb.com had the whole debate on powder sources of ALA, it was all over the boards on elite. Seems like macro and ulter (with product in mind) were the staunchest defenders of the capsule form. I have noticed no difference as long as the powder is kept away from heat and used in a reasonable amount of time. Instycnt on animal's board sells both, caps and powder, and says he uses powder often so...

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
well im gonna have to agree with scottyo as i have yet to see any credible reference posted or any other proof

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I think we've got a convert.....However, I do agree that for dosing and convenience purposes the pills are the way to go. I plan on using both next time I order from 1fast.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
hey scotty never doubted u as i was quilty myself of blindly believing something and never looking further into it..lol..my bad

yordi

Awards
what about Syntrax's R?

they say their formula for this ALA(?) product is the best there is (like every company) but i did hear some good things about this product on dutch boards.

so, what do you think? does it work or suck?

shadow_manifest

Awards
From what I read and heard R-ala is the way to go and at about 8 bucks cheaper at 1fast its a better deal. Supposely
the s-ala in normal ala is useless and inhibits the r-ala which is the only part that does anything.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Actually the s can be considered worse then useless as it can negatively affect the r...however, to what degree is still not entirely known. A lot of guys around here have bought r, Im sure one will give an update...hint hint

shadow_manifest

Awards
I use it with a cycle of 1-test and lost fat but I don't know if that was 1-test or just a combination of the two. I take 100mg with every meal.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
i would trust syntrax over anyone else myself but thats me..there radox supopp was awesome it was a staple till r became available for me

yordi

Awards
i trust syntrax aswell.

also san :) i know the importers from both here in holland.

gonna buy me R this afternoon and see how it goes.

Nelson

When you guys take the R/ALA, do you usually take it 15-20 mins before your meal or post workout shake to give it a chance to get into your system before the carbs are introduced?

djremix

djremix

Awards
  • Established
i heard that a combo of r-ala at 80 to 85% and the rest in s form is best.
dunno why...yet.

but the guy who said it KNOWS his stuff ;)

shadow_manifest

Awards
I take it with my meals. Haven't thought about taking it before. I'll give it a shot and start taking 20 min before.

yordi

Awards
i take supplements 30 minutes before meals. except for creatine. i take that 45 minutes before breakfast, 30 minutes before lunch and within 30 minutes after workout

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Just something to think about Yordi....while Ala a bit (like 10 minutes) before meals might be good...it has a very quick clearance time so if you take it well before a meal it might be mostly cleared out of your system and thus not affect glucose disposal. Also, most vitamins, orals and other capsules are BETTER absorbed with food...especially clomid.

jeepthang

Awards
Take ALA immediately before you eat. Otherwise you'll get serious heartburn.

yordi

Awards
i haven't used ala before. but i am going to buy R from syntrax tomorow.
haven't read anything about when it's best to take it yet. was starting that now ;) thnx for the info!

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I'd say 5 before is good...combine with ALCAR and biotin for even better effects. Also, r-ala does not give most people heartburn.

bachovas

bachovas

Awards
I've been doing a little experiment myself (ALA, Mike's). I use to take it up to 20 minutes before my carb-based meal (no heartburn) but around 30+ minutes after the meal I kinda fell the hypoglycemia symptons. Now I'm taking it during (half way ) and up to 5 minutes after the meal. Better results this way, JMO.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Effects of exercise training and antioxidant R-ALA on glucose transport in insulin-sensitive rat skeletal muscle.

Saengsirisuwan V, Perez FR, Kinnick TR, Henriksen EJ.

Muscle Metabolism Laboratory, Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85721-0093, USA.

We have recently demonstrated (Saengsirisuwan V, Kinnick TR, Schmit MB, and Henriksen EJ, J Appl Physiol 91: 145-153, 2001) that exercise training (ET) and the antioxidant R-(+)-alpha-lipoic acid (R-ALA) interact in an additive fashion to improve insulin action in insulin-resistant obese Zucker (fa/fa) rats. The purpose of the present study was to assess the interactions of ET and R-ALA on insulin action and oxidative stress in a model of normal insulin sensitivity, the lean Zucker (fa/-) rat. For 6 wk, animals either remained sedentary, received R-ALA (30 mg. kg body wt(-1). day(-1)), performed ET (treadmill running), or underwent both R-ALA treatment and ET. ET alone or in combination with R-ALA significantly increased (P < 0.05) peak oxygen consumption (28-31%) and maximum run time (52-63%). During an oral glucose tolerance test, ET alone or in combination with R-ALA resulted in a significant lowering of the glucose response (17-36%) at 15 min relative to R-ALA alone and of the insulin response (19-36%) at 15 min compared with sedentary controls. Insulin-mediated glucose transport activity was increased by ET alone in isolated epitrochlearis (30%) and soleus (50%) muscles, and this was associated with increased GLUT-4 protein levels. Insulin action was not improved by R-ALA alone, and ET-associated improvements in these variables were not further enhanced with combined ET and R-ALA. Although ET and R-ALA caused reductions in soleus protein carbonyls (an index of oxidative stress), these alterations were not significantly correlated with insulin-mediated soleus glucose transport. These results indicate that the beneficial interactive effects of ET and R-ALA on skeletal muscle insulin action observed previously in insulin-resistant obese Zucker rats are not apparent in insulin-sensitive lean Zucker rats.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I have seen that same study before but have never fully believed it. Are you saying Bobo that ALA has no effect on glucose disposal at all? If no, then what reason do you have for taking it? I had thought there were others saying that ALA acted on different pathways then simply insulin spiking or mimicry.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has more effect on people who are insulin resistant, hence the reason its used in type II diabetics. If you have normal insulin sensitivity, I don't see much benefit. The study hints towards this. It does work on a different pathway than insulin and is another reason why its used with diabetics. I myself am mildly insulin resistance as it runs in the family so therefore its good for me. Older men can benefit from this too as insulin resiistance becomes an everyday thing as you get older. Younger men who have normal insulin sensitivity won't benefit from it much.

Its a good anti-oxidant though in everyone.