Hydrocortisone:Should it be avoided?

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
I tend to get eczema and hydrocortisone cream is the only thing that works to relieve it. However, I have read that hydrocortisone can interfere with protein synthesis, not something that seems to help build muscle. Will using a small amount of hydrocortisone cream cause significant catabolism or should I not worry about it. It's nice to get rid of the eczema but I don't want to do it at the expense of precious muscle tissue. Thanks for your help!

Lonsdale

Awards
I don't know the answer to your question, but i doubt a small amount can have a hugely negative effect on you. However, I would choose my health over big muscles imho - muscles surely are just icing on the cake? Wouldnt look too good if you have big rash patches on you, "titanic triceps" or not!

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I don't know the answer to your question, but i doubt a small amount can have a hugely negative effect on you. However, I would choose my health over big muscles imho - muscles surely are just icing on the cake? Wouldnt look too good if you have big rash patches on you, "titanic triceps" or not!
Agreed. I think if you need it for a pre-existing medical condition, then you should still use it, and adjust your training or supplementation accordingly.

FYI777

Awards
You said you are using a cream,therefore unless your using gobs of it, I would think very little gets into systemic ciculation. Go easy with applications and I think this wouldn't effect protein synthesis.
OTOH I know somebody with Crohn's disease(intestinal problem) and he's given some form of cortisone pills(there are many forms of synthetic cortisone) and man there you can see definite catabolism in the works.He's not that old and already suffering from osteoporosis,walks with a cane,and looks like a walking skeleton.This BTW after years of corticosteroid therapy.I tried to explain to him but allas he wouldn't listen to me.

By the way I have read that low thyroid is associated with eczema. Saw it in the Broda Barnes book(can't remember title,sorry) on thyroid.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Yeah, it just takes a little bit of the hydrocortisone cream to treat the mild eczema I experience. It really hasn't seemed to effect my training in a negative way. I guess I should just be glad it works on the eczema and use it as sparingly as possible. Thanks for the feedback, guys.