Hydrocortisone:Should it be avoided?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.71%

Question Hydrocortisone:Should it be avoided?

I tend to get eczema and hydrocortisone cream is the only thing that works to relieve it. However, I have read that hydrocortisone can interfere with protein synthesis, not something that seems to help build muscle. Will using a small amount of hydrocortisone cream cause significant catabolism or should I not worry about it. It's nice to get rid of the eczema but I don't want to do it at the expense of precious muscle tissue. Thanks for your help!

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.07%

I don't know the answer to your question, but i doubt a small amount can have a hugely negative effect on you. However, I would choose my health over big muscles imho - muscles surely are just icing on the cake? Wouldnt look too good if you have big rash patches on you, "titanic triceps" or not!
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.87%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lonsdale
    I don't know the answer to your question, but i doubt a small amount can have a hugely negative effect on you. However, I would choose my health over big muscles imho - muscles surely are just icing on the cake? Wouldnt look too good if you have big rash patches on you, "titanic triceps" or not!
    Agreed. I think if you need it for a pre-existing medical condition, then you should still use it, and adjust your training or supplementation accordingly.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.95%

You said you are using a cream,therefore unless your using gobs of it, I would think very little gets into systemic ciculation. Go easy with applications and I think this wouldn't effect protein synthesis.
    OTOH I know somebody with Crohn's disease(intestinal problem) and he's given some form of cortisone pills(there are many forms of synthetic cortisone) and man there you can see definite catabolism in the works.He's not that old and already suffering from osteoporosis,walks with a cane,and looks like a walking skeleton.This BTW after years of corticosteroid therapy.I tried to explain to him but allas he wouldn't listen to me.

By the way I have read that low thyroid is associated with eczema. Saw it in the Broda Barnes book(can't remember title,sorry) on thyroid.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.71%

Yeah, it just takes a little bit of the hydrocortisone cream to treat the mild eczema I experience. It really hasn't seemed to effect my training in a negative way. I guess I should just be glad it works on the eczema and use it as sparingly as possible. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 1 more Sup, what should it be?
    By TruffleShuffle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 12:32 AM
  3. Should Nolvadex be Avoided at All Cost?
    By TripDog in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
  4. should it be spread?
    By futuremrO in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 01:16 AM
  5. Heart Rate... ( What should it be ?? )
    By Stinger124 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM