Cissus repairs ulcers?

Smoky

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gastroprotective action of Cissus quadrangularis extract against NSAID induced gastric ulcer: Role of proinflammatory cytokines and oxidative damage.

Jainu M, Devi CS.

Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, A.C. Tech, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600025, Tamil Nadu, India.

The objective of this research was to analyse the gastroprotective effect of Cissus quadrangularis extract (CQE) along with its mechanism underlying the therapeutic action against the gastric mucosal damage induced by aspirin. In this study, we investigated the effect of CQE on the course of experimentally induced gastric ulcer by analyzing the levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), microvascular permeability, activity of nitric oxide synthase-2 (NOS-2), mitochondrial antioxidants, lipid peroxidation and DNA damage. A significant increase in vascular permeability, NOS-2 activity, TNF-alpha, IL-1beta levels and oxidative damage were noted in aspirin administered rats. Pretreatment with CQE (500mg/kg bw/day) by oral gavage for 7 days significantly attenuated these biochemical changes caused by aspirin in rats. Tissue damage was showed by decreased levels of glutathione (GSH), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) and an associated rise in lipid peroxidation (LPO) in mitochondria, which were reversed by CQE. In addition, CQE prevents oxidative damage of DNA by reducing DNA fragmentation indicating its block on cell death. Ulcer protection in CQE treated rats was confirmed by histoarchitecture, which was comprised of reduced size of ulcer crater and restoration of mucosal epithelium. Thus, reduced neutrophil infiltration, antiapoptotic and antioxidant action have a pivotal role in the gastroprotective effect of CQE.

PMID: 16797507 [PubMed - in process]

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cissus is the new Tussin!

Ma! I broke my arm!
Aww honey, put some cissus on it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I have found very similar studies citing it's ability to block the inflammatory cytokines in the stomach.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This also was posted by USPLabs about a year ago:

Journal of Medicinal Food
Effect of Cissus quadrangularis on Gastric Mucosal Defensive Factors in Experimentally Induced Gastric UlcerA Comparative Study with Sucralfate
Sep 2004, Vol. 7, No. 3: 372-376

Mallika Jainu Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai, India

C.S. Shyamala Devi Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai, India

Cissus quadrangularis is an indigenous plant commonly mentioned in Ayurveda for treatment of gastric ulcers. The ulcer-protective effect of a methanolic extract of C. quadrangularis (CQE) was comparable to that of the reference drug sucralfate. Further, gastric juice and mucosal studies showed that CQE at a dose of 500 mg/kg given for 10 days significantly increased the mucosal defensive factors like mucin secretion, mucosal cell proliferation, glycoproteins, and life span of cells. The present investigation suggests that CQE not only strengthens mucosal resistance against ulcerogens but also promotes healing by inducing cellular proliferation. Thus, CQE has potential usefulness for treatment of peptic ulcer disease.

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
it actually states that in the new cissus rx writeup i believe

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
wow...I really may have to give cissus a try.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
Cissus is awesome!

Aside from promoting general well-being, the anabolic effects and pumps are out of this world!