Fighting stress...help!

1. Registered User
    Answers

Fighting stress...help!

Hey guys,
    I've been lifting for over 10 years and had finally started getting to where I wanted to be this year. I also started a pretty tough Masters program to become a PA this year. The first semester was great. I lifted hard and ate well, too. With the help of superdrol I went from my sticking point of about 200lbs to 216 and benching 315X6. And I've always had trouble putting on muscle so this was great. Well the program got tougher the second semester. Each round of tests I would lose about 5 pounds. The stress was killing me---I lost my appetite, I couldn't sleep, and the weight and strength was just FALLING off. I even tried to make it to the gym during these high stress times to blow off some steam and keep what I had worked so hard to attain. But I still got weaker.

I've now completed the summer semester and would like to take my 3 weeks off to get some of it back. I now weigh in at a meager 190 lbs at 5'11. I did 245X8 yesterday on the bench and it was rough.

Some of you may be thinking it may have been due to improper post cycle therapy with the SD. I assure you that's not the case. I used this site as a guide for the cycles (2 3-week cycles). Also the weight loss did not coincide with the PCT, it happened during 2 week periods when I was studying constantly for the tests.

So, can someone help me out here???? I friend at the gym told me to try staying on a low dose of test, but I don't know about that. I think I need a good cortisol blocker and possibly some test also. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give all pertinent info!! ALL advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I hear ya on the disappointment about losing gains. It's happened to me many times.

First, for stress like yours I would dose Rhodiola rosae 3x per day at 50-100 mg per dose.

A cort blocker may be of use, LX, retain or even just DHEA would likely help a little.

Perhaps instead of dealing with a test cycle and it's issues, it may be better to run the NHA stack with Rebound Reloaded. This is now being shown to jack up test levels pretty well. I'm on it and I am actually gaining weight on PCT which never happens..ever.

Once you get the time to fully devote to training, then run a cycle if you wish.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    First, for stress like yours I would dose Rhodiola rosae 3x per day at 50-100 mg per dose.

A cort blocker may be of use, LX, retain or even just DHEA would likely help a little.

I just wanted to suggest the addition of a GOOD B-complex as it is detrimental to the maintenance of proper neurological impulses and overall mood, especially in times of stress.

Also, Acetyl L-Carnitine would be another good option as well.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I use so much B that I take it for granted..but yes, I wholeheartedy agree with your recommnedation.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

My gains also can go down the drain fast if I'm stressed. As bioman said lean extreme is good stuff. I get great results off of it. Chances are if stresses levels are high your cortisol levels are destroying your gains and fattening you up around the middle. Every time I take it I lean out and get stronger. Cissus is also suppose to lower cortisol to a small degree. As bioman also said rhodiala roseca(sp?) is suppose to be good. Its in anagen and I've been on it for about a week and it seems I'm dealing with stress better.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Holy Basil
    L-Theanine
    Kava Kava
    Lean Extreme
    Retain
    Lean Dreams
    Rem

Get yourself a sleep aid such as lean dreams or rem, then also use this in conjunction with a cortisol lowering compound like retain or lean extreme. Then if you really feel you need it use some holy basil or L-theanine or Kava Kava.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I took a big dose of theanine last week..about 1.5 grams...and wow, did I sleep well. I have taken it numerous times in the 300-500 mg range but decided to use up some old stick. Dang I was really relaxed.

You should probably also start taking magnesium if you aren't already. Magnesium-potassium asporotate by Solaray is my favorite.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20
    My gains also can go down the drain fast if I'm stressed. As bioman said lean extreme is good stuff. I get great results off of it. Chances are if stresses levels are high your cortisol levels are destroying your gains and fattening you up around the middle. Every time I take it I lean out and get stronger. Cissus is also suppose to lower cortisol to a small degree. As bioman also said rhodiala roseca(sp?) is suppose to be good. Its in anagen and I've been on it for about a week and it seems I'm dealing with stress better.
    Yes, if I am not mistaken I posted a few studies on here exhibiting how Cissus can block the family of inflammatory cytokines of which cortisol is a part of (I think)
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for all the great replies guys! I don't have much time to research the latest supps so I had no idea about Retain and Lean Extreme. I'm going to stock up on one of those for sure. Looks like I'll be hitting up some herbs also.

It's a viscious cycle which we've all been through. I'm trying very hard to bounce back fast this time because I have my first powerlifting meet in October. My dad was a powelifter and pulled a 701 deadlift weighing 198. So it's sorta a lifetime goal of mine to top that. I just wanted to pull over 600 in October.

I was just gonna say screw the meet, but with the posts here I think I may try the supps and go at it anyway. School comes first right now I'll just have to work that much harder to make iron go the right way. Thanks again guys you bros are lifesavers!!!

Jason
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Bioman stack L-theanine with ZMA they go really well together. And L-theanine is just an extract of green tea for those that didn't know.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I generally do take lots of magnesium asporotate before bed alongside some ashwagandha.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Never taken ashwagandha before isn't it just another adaptogen?
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Yes, but it has anti-anxiety properties as well as some potent antioxidant properties. Helps me sleep deeper.

There are some threads in the supp section about it.
  14. Registered User
    Answers

I'm also in school and I can honestly say that stress seems to be amplified while off cycle. While on you're on top of it. After my pct of Sdrol I felt stressed all the time. For me it seems like the real stress kicks in after pct. I have found that things like 7oxo, dhea, rhodiola, theanine, green tea, gaba, pheni and an occasional beer or three do really well for me.

School can be really stressful and it is amplified when your hormones are imbalanced. Stay off for awhile, eat good and let your natty levels FULLY recover. I seem to have some sort of rebound strength and new confidence when I've been off a while. JMO
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supps for stress - help a brotha out
    By StackedCop in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
  3. help fight aids with a phone call
    By juggernaut333 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 03:59 PM