Can someone help me dispute Whey can cause Tumors?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.45%

Can someone help me dispute Whey can cause Tumors?

Hello everyone,

I posted recently that I had a tumor removed from my bladder. Since that time I will be getting into some herbal cleansing and trying to eat less meat. I found some vegan BB boards and was interested in what that diet might provide health wise.

I understand their moral stance, animals and such but I dont really care about that at this time. Im in it for the health but I want to work out as well. Anyway, some get on the stance that all meat products (including whey) cause tumor growth (especially casein)

The only thing I can find on whey is its immune supporting properties. My goal here is to make sure I dont grow anymore tumors here while trying to get my ass in shape. Im only 34, I can still do it but I cant take anything that might be in the grey are as far as tumors go.

Any advice as far as protein goes?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Well...IMO Millions of people use whey daily....and tumor growth isn't rampant. I do think that certain things may make certain pre disposed people grow tumors...
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.45%

The argument is that it is an animal product which is claimed to all have links to tumor growth. I am looking for those links.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.57%

I have never heard of Whey causing/antagonizing tumors.
    Whey is safe and natural. It is a layer skimmed off the top during the cheese making process.
    cc
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Everything causes tumors
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jhferry
    The argument is that it is an animal product which is claimed to all have links to tumor growth. I am looking for those links.
    You can't prove a negative. You can't prove that whey doesn't cause tumors.

The burden is for the claimant to prove that whey DOES cause tumors. Run a search on pubmed.org as it will tell you what the medical literature says on the subject.

The vegans are essentially making a political argument, not a scientific one, which is why you can't find links to it.

There is evidence that SMOKED meats can cause some cancers. There is evidence that LOTS of meat in the absence of fruits and vegetables can cause heart disease and perhaps colon cancer (because of the lack of fiber leads to prolonged exposure to carcinogens which are the byproduct of cooking) but the general idea that animal products cause tumors is the product of a belief system (that it's wrong to eat animals) not the product of science.

Ask your doctors if they have any dietary concerns/restrictions for you. The folks on the vegan bulletin boards are essentially practicing a religion.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I would be be one big tumor by now.

I've heard this claim before but never seen any evidence. To the contrary, I have seen lots and lots of evidence that suggests whey is extremely good for the immune system. IMO, this effect outweighs any notion that whey could be bad.

In general, it is growth hormones like HGh, IGF and insulin that can fuel tumor growth and though these are elevated slightly by the consumption of whey, it is high GI carbohydrates that are the real culprit and IMO, represent one of the major causes for the rise in cancer rates.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Just scare tactics bro, whey is a great immune booster and supplement for BB'ers and that's the bottom line.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.45%

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    Just scare tactics bro, whey is a great immune booster and supplement for BB'ers and that's the bottom line.

I figured as much. I am going to cut down on meat for awhile though, I dont really drink Milk so I am practically a vegetarian anyway. I dont have any issues with eggs. My tumor was the result of living in central NJ, smoking pot for 10 years and living off of fast food. I believe I can reverse that trend by doing cleanses and eating right but they are a little extreme. There have been articles written recently about how good of a protein Soy is but I will be getting enough of that through food so I want to take Whey as a supplement.
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I dont think eating soy is good for you and i dont think eating less protein is good for you either.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.45%

I hear you, we could debate that all day long. I do agree with you about the protein part. Its just the source that I worry about. Part of the Natural healing regiman I am into requires no meat consumption. I can handle that during the duration of the cleanses because I am not lifting anyway and are more concerned with health.

However, I have goals just like anyone else and doing it as a vegan is too much. I can handle semi-vegetarian with Whey supps, eggs and such but thats pushing it.
  12. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.7%
    Achievements Posting Pro

As Arnold would say "Its Not a Tooo-maaaa" :
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright
    You can't prove a negative. You can't prove that whey doesn't cause tumors.

The burden is for the claimant to prove that whey DOES cause tumors. Run a search on pubmed.org as it will tell you what the medical literature says on the subject.

The vegans are essentially making a political argument, not a scientific one, which is why you can't find links to it.

There is evidence that SMOKED meats can cause some cancers. There is evidence that LOTS of meat in the absence of fruits and vegetables can cause heart disease and perhaps colon cancer (because of the lack of fiber leads to prolonged exposure to carcinogens which are the byproduct of cooking) but the general idea that animal products cause tumors is the product of a belief system (that it's wrong to eat animals) not the product of science.

Ask your doctors if they have any dietary concerns/restrictions for you. The folks on the vegan bulletin boards are essentially practicing a religion.
    agreed.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.45%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I would be be one big tumor by now.

I've heard this claim before but never seen any evidence. To the contrary, I have seen lots and lots of evidence that suggests whey is extremely good for the immune system. IMO, this effect outweighs any notion that whey could be bad.

In general, it is growth hormones like HGh, IGF and insulin that can fuel tumor growth and though these are elevated slightly by the consumption of whey, it is high GI carbohydrates that are the real culprit and IMO, represent one of the major causes for the rise in cancer rates.

I have seen this high sugar claim elsewhere. More so than "all meats" I had a really ****ty diet and a super high stress load. Most of the herbal sites I read advocate Juicing to help cure or prevent cancer although fruits are high GI. I imagine it the high refined white sugars that are really to blame. You dont see too many vegetarians with diabetis or cancer, especially the juicing ones. Perhaps my regimen should include even more Whey. Organic Cottage cheese with berries, etc. THat alone would enable my lifting.

Does this sound accurate?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Can someone help me come up with an IGF schedule?
    By PumpingIron in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 08:59 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM
  3. Can someone help me out?
    By junebug1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM
  4. Can someone help me fix my dumb mistake
    By freakboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21