Designer Protein Whey VS Optimum Nutrition Whey

g35driver2003

g35driver2003

Awards
I have a friend that owns his own store and we have been talking about these two proteins. Which of these two do you think has a better QUALITY?

Next Designer Protein
Container Size: 2 Lbs.
Serving Size: 1 level scoop
Servings Per Container: 40

Amount Per Serving:

Total Calories 90
Calories From Fat 15
Total Fat 1.5 g 2*%
Saturated Fat 1 g 5*%
Cholesterol 30 mg 10*%
Sodium 60 mg 2*%
Potassium 90 mg 3*%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g 1*%
Dietary Fiber <1 g 4*%
Sugars <1 g
Protein 17.5 g 35*%

Calcium 100 mg 10%
Thiamin (B1) 1.13 mg 75%
Riboflavin (B2) 1.28 mg 75%
Pyridoxine (B6) 1.75 mg 88%
Cyanocobalamin (B12) 4.5 mcg 75%
Pantothenic Acid 7.5 mg 75%
Phosphorus 85 mg 9%
Magnesium 100 mg 25%
Zinc 5 mg 33%

Ingredients:
Designer Whey - Full spectrum whey peptides [modified molecular weight and partially pre-digested (hydrolyzed) whey protein concentrate, PDUF whey protein isolate, whey glutamine peptides (incl. natural glutamine peptides), taurine, l-leucine, l-phenylalanine], cocoa (treated with alkali), whey mineral complex, lecithin, natural and artificial chocolate flavor, glutasynth (l-glutamine, oligofructose, glutamine peptides), natural and artificial flavor, zinmag-6 (magnesium oxide, magnesium aspartate, zinc aspartate, pyridoxine), artificial peanut butter flavor, salt, cellulose gum, dried cream extract, xanthan gum, sodium alginate, artificial caramel flavor, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, vanillin, natural vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols), lactoperoxidase.

Optimum Nutrition Whey 100%
Container Size: 2 Lbs.
Serving Size: 1 Scoop
Servings Per Container: 31
Calories: 120
-Calories from Fat: 10
Total Fat: 1g
-Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Cholesterol: 30mg
Total Carbohydrates: 3g
-Sugars: 1g
Protein: 24g
Calcium: 140mg
Sodium: 60mg
Potassium: 220mg
Enzyme Blend: 25mg
-Aminogen --
-Lactase --

Other Ingredients:
Protein blend (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), cocoa (processed with alkali), artifical flavor, lecithin, acesulfame potassium.

Lonsdale

Awards
I much prefer ON 100% Whey to Designer's.

I've tried them both and prefer the taste and mixability of ON by far, and believe the protein content per 100 grams is better too.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Better I dunno but I chose ON for the same reasons as Lonsdale.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Designer is not bad, but ON has gained a lot of popularity. I guess the difference is how's the taste. Mixability are equivalent.

g35driver2003

g35driver2003

Awards
Designer is not bad, but ON has gained a lot of popularity. I guess the difference is how's the taste. Mixability are equivalent.
Ya I know that, lots of people just say ON cause the taste like the two people above, but does anyone really know which is a better quality?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like the top one has other stuff added just by looking at the ingrediant list.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well scoop for scoop you're getting less protein for your dollar. 1scoop has 7grams less protein thanthat of the ON

g35driver2003

g35driver2003

Awards
well scoop for scoop you're getting less protein for your dollar. 1scoop has 7grams less protein thanthat of the ON
I am talking quality of the protein not how much is in the tub.

Lonsdale

Awards
I have found that ON not only has a better taste, but a better mixability - which is quite important, as you won't get x amount of protein if there's four large lumps left at the bottom of your shaker.

Furthermore, the protein content (i think) is higher per scoop with ON.

As for which is better quality, i would say ON for these reasons. If you're talking about amino profiles etc, i don't think that matters that much at this level - surely they are much of a muchness. Unless you're a complete pro, i can't imagine such small variables to have any noticible impact in one's physique.

I would be mindful not to over analyse stuff, and ensure that I have a sound diet and put my full effort in at the gym. Small variations between two good protein powders such as ON and DW will have little to no difference to end results, in my opinion.

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
Have you tried Dymatize Elite whey? damn, they have some awesome flavors. very reasonably priced as well.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I am talking quality of the protein not how much is in the tub.
Both of these products are generally the same as far as isolation methods are concerned and that would be the determining factor in absorbtion and overall effectiveness.

So with the isolation methods and actuall protein content aside, the other area to consider comparing would be the amino acid profile. Additional ingredients like cholesterol, fat, vitamins, minerals, sucralose, aspartame, ect. should also be considered.

I know that on a tub of ON Pro Complex, the exact amount of all aminos contained in one serving is listed. From my experience, this is a quality company with nothing to hide.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
According to those lable claims:

2lbs of Desingers:
Fat: 60g (40 x 1.5g)
Carb: 80g (40 x 2g)
Pro: 700g (40 x 17.5)
Sodium: 2400mg (40 x 60mg)

2lbs ON:
Fat: 31g (31 x 1g)
Carb: 93g (31 x 3g)
Pro: 744g (31 x 24g)
Sodium: 1860mg (31 x 60mg)

In 2lbs of each, Designers has twice the fat, less carbs, less protein and 30% more sodium. You be the judge.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established

2lbs of Desingers:

2lbs ON:

In 2lbs of each, Designers has twice the fat, less carbs, less protein and 30% more sodium. You be the judge.
I guess ON blasts the DWhey... The carb difference is not huge, and therefore has not much impact on my decision if I would have to decide.

g35driver2003

g35driver2003

Awards

2lbs of Desingers:

2lbs ON:

ya the fat alone will now make me stay with ON.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
ON by far, especially after Brian's breakdown. I really like ON's double rich chocolate and chocolate mint. I also believe ON is a better deal, which will add up in the long run.