ON's Serious Mass

nattyHST

Awards
I am currently on my first cycle and am eating myself sick throughout the day. I purchased ON's Serious Mass (see Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass for nutrition info). However, it makes me sick after I consume. Is this due to the high amount of carbs?

I am already eating peanut butter, milk, etc. to get as many cals in as possible and am at roughly 3,500 cals daily. Anyone have any tips on what I can do to increase cals?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
well personaly I would ditch that seriouse mass (weight gainer garbae imo) because it has 50 grams of sugar.

depending on your size i dont see to much of a problem with getting down 3500 cals but for some it is hard to eat.

what does your current diet look like? its impossible to offer suggestions by just seeing pb, milk, ect to get cals but if you post up what your eating we can critique and offer advice to help bump up cals (good cals :D)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i actually like serious mass. not sure what the nutrition facts are off the top of my head but i know the sugar isnt as high as most weightgainers. you are taking to much at one time thats y u feel sick. try one scoop with 16oz milk first then move your way up to the recommended dose after getting used to it. or use half water half milk or all water it goes down easier. i actually gained about 10lbs off of that 12lbs bag and after about 3months i have turned it into muscle thats for sure.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
i actually like serious mass. not sure what the nutrition facts are off the top of my head but i know the sugar isnt as high as most weightgainers. you are taking to much at one time thats y u feel sick. try one scoop with 16oz milk first then move your way up to the recommended dose after getting used to it. or use half water half milk or all water it goes down easier. i actually gained about 10lbs off of that 12lbs bag and after about 3months i have turned it into muscle thats for sure.
It may not be as high in sugar but if it has maltodextrin (and I bet it most likely does) then that's going to sabotage your results just like sugar.

I also prefer homemade gainers because they're cheaper and you control the macro-nutrient ratios. I prefer a 40-40-20 OR 50-30-20 mix so I find it better to make it myself

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Calories 1250
Calories from Fat 40
Total Fat 4.5 g 7%*
Saturated Fat 3 g 15%*
Cholesterol 75 mg 25%*
Total Carbohydrate 252 g 84%*
Sugars 40 g

per serving?

nattyHST

Awards
well personaly I would ditch that seriouse mass (weight gainer garbae imo) because it has 50 grams of sugar.
close to it (40g is what the package states).

depending on your size i dont see to much of a problem with getting down 3500 cals but for some it is hard to eat.
perhaps my estimate is incorrect, as i am known to be a big eater even when cutting.

what does your current diet look like? its impossible to offer suggestions by just seeing pb, milk, ect to get cals but if you post up what your eating we can critique and offer advice to help bump up cals (good cals )
prior to ON's Serious Mass I would do:

Breakfast 9am:
-1cup of oatmeal
-1tablespoon of organic peanut butter
-2 scoops of Muscle Milk
(blended in water)

11am snack:
varying foods typically of 30-40g protein, 40-50g carbs, 10g fat

1pm lunch:
sandwich w/
-8oz of varying animal
-2 slices of cheese
-2 slices of wheat bread

3pm snack:
identical to 11am snack

5pm preworkout shake:
-40g whey

5:45pm postr workout shake:
-40g whey
-90g dextrose

7:15pm dinner:
-chicken, cow or fish (ATLEAST 8 oz)
-rice, pasta, or bread (50+g of carbs)

10pm bedtime shake:
-12oz skim milk
-2 scoops of muscle milk

that is a regular day. sometimes ill throw in a muscle milk w/ water shake or two mid-day. what do YOU think my cal range is?

It may not be as high in sugar but if it has maltodextrin (and I bet it most likely does) then that's going to sabotage your results just like sugar.
hmm, it has no description of the carbs, but simply lists them as non-sugar carbs. any idea on how to tell?

I also prefer homemade gainers because they're cheaper and you control the macro-nutrient ratios. I prefer a 40-40-20 OR 50-30-20 mix so I find it better to make it myself
i was doing that prior to "Serious Mass", but turned to it for additional cals (see above).

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey iron do you have any recipes for your homemade gainer?

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

IMO Homemade weight gainers are probably the best way to go. It may take time to make them, but they will not hinder resutls.
Pistonb you may try looking here.BiPro Whey Protein Isolate - recipes for protein shakes, smoothies, cookies, pancakes and more

Last edited:

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'd drop the gainer as well, you may gain more but they will be quantitative gains not qualitative.

nattyHST

Awards
i looked at the ingredients on the bag. maltodextrin is #1, which explains why i felt so awful. it must have spiked the hell out of my insulin and i crashed afterwards (felt the same as too much dextrose). i decided to use 1/4 serving of "Serious Mass" in my homemade milk, peanut butter, oatmeal, muscle milk weight gainers.

anyone have any guesses as to my daily cal consumption from the post above?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
all that sugar + sugar from milk... it could make your head spin in large amounts. it packs on mass that's for sure, but expect some to be fat

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
im guessing calories at 2650.. it's very lean

i see lots of whey, which is good, but not instead of solid protein. eggs, tuna, chicken, salmon, meat. oatmeal, brown rice, wheat pasta, bagel/wheat bread.. that's where your lean mass will be at
throw in from veggies from time to time too - think high fiber for a couple of the meals

drop all that sugar post workout bud, have 1.5scoops of whey in 1/2 water, 1/2milk and a bagel/oatmeal or some complex carb source

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i almost always eat oatmeal pre WO its great energy sometimes throw in a half scoop of whey in it too.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im taking ISS Gainer on ocassions now (2x week), less sugar and i needed a change from choc so i heard there strawberry was good and it is. i just use it after workout because i usually rush back home and go straight to work.

some people just need size like say a 6' 150lber if you can afford to gain fat its okay for them as long as they workout. You can get rid of fat and if you cant then you need to change your diet to accomadate. I can loose fat easier than most minus the lower abs like us all. You never posted stats as well, that would help. if you have money to throw around just buy the load of food thats my best advice unless you have an appetite problem then thats another story...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
hey iron do you have any recipes for your homemade gainer?
Post-Workout/Pre-Workout do 2 scoops of whey, 5-6 ice cubes, 1.5 cups of oats, 20 oz water, blend and enjoy.

Other times during the day. 2 scoops of whey, 2 cups of milk (fat-free), 5-6 ice cubes, 1 medium banana, 1 cup of oats, blend and enjoy.

nattyHST

Awards
Post-Workout/Pre-Workout do 2 scoops of whey, 5-6 ice cubes, 1.5 cups of oats, 20 oz water, blend and enjoy.

Other times during the day. 2 scoops of whey, 2 cups of milk (fat-free), 5-6 ice cubes, 1 medium banana, 1 cup of oats, blend and enjoy.
my shakes look similar, but i only use dextrose for post workout, followed by complex carbs roughly 1 hour later.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
my shakes look similar, but i only use dextrose for post workout, followed by complex carbs roughly 1 hour later.
Bobo's going to smack you on the hands with a ruler for using dextrose, drop the dextrose ;)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

i have done that before but how do you keep the oats from settling on the bottom? It always ends up on the bottom.

i was thinking of using cooked oats but i havent yet.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
i have done that before but how do you keep the oats from settling on the bottom? It always ends up on the bottom.

i was thinking of using cooked oats but i havent yet.
You have to use the right ratio of water, protein and oats. I like 1 cup of oats for 16 oz of water, 2 scoops of whey. Shake the cup continuouosly as you drink your shake so you don't get all the oats clumped at the bottom

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to use the right ratio of water, protein and oats. I like 1 cup of oats for 16 oz of water, 2 scoops of whey. Shake the cup continuouosly as you drink your shake so you don't get all the oats clumped at the bottom
i thought you put it in the blender....

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like to grind up my oats in a coffee bean grinder and then add them to the shake/blender. It just makes the oats that much less chunky. I have also found oat flour here and there and you can't even tell that it's in the shake.