R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid. Better than K-RALA?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys and gals. I thought I would adress this issue since I haven't heard anyone talking about it. I think it's safe to say that most of us realize the benefits of supplementing Alpha Lipoic Acid. Amongst other things, it has been shown to regenerate and elevate intracellular glutathione levels, wich result in the recycling of antioxidants in our bodies.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) consists of two entantiomers, R and S.
Only the R- portion is biologically active. When you supplement ALA, you are getting a 50/50 mixture of R-Lipoic Acid and S-Lipoic Acid. That means that when you take a 600mg dose of ALA, only 300mg is active.

So, with the non-active, S- portion out of the picture, let's talk about R-Lipoic Acid (R-LA). It's more biologically active and offers better antioxidant and neuroprotective benefits at substantially lower doses than ALA. The downside to R-LA is it's poor bioavailability. Also, polymerization is a major problem when dealing with R-LA. In other words, it changes sructurally very easily.

So now we've got K-RALA. Note: K-RALA is not naturally found in the body. K-RALA is a registered trademark of GeroNova. K-RALA is R-LA with the addition of Potassium-R-lipoate added in order to reduce polymerization and increase bioavailability. So we get all the benefits, and it's a more stable version.

Well guess what? Just like the progression of ALA being reduced to R-LA. The next step is R-LA being reduced to R-DHLA or R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid. This is the form wich is immeadiately availible to cells. Free R-LA is rapidly taken up by cells and reduced to R-DHLA wich have all of the benefits previously spoken of with even smaller doses. Also, only R-Dihydro-Lipoic Acid has been shown capable of actually repairing oxidative damage.

So there you have it. Something else to spend our money on!
Oh and by the way. If you are thinking of purchasing any in the future, remember that it is only effective as a liquid capsule due to the fact that R-DHLA is a liquid and can NOT be oxidized.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hummm any companys using it in there product in a repartitioning product vs just a stand alone?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see LEF has one but only as a stand alone product.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
as always no hype brings the truth.solid post

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Ill be honest I notice no difference using regular ALA than with one of these fancy ALAs

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AOR seemed to think there was not as much scientific backing for R-DHLA to make it superior to R-ALA. More studies and results with R-ALA.

Doesn't mean R-DHLA isn't better, just not enough known about it to determine absolutely.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Best products are from the main RLA producer. I have used the RLA/RDHLA Tocotrienol product for some time with good results, seemingly less problematic than ALA, should be combined with L-Carnitine for synergy. JMO

ReNude1

Awards
I've been looking into DHLA could you direct me to a good source of DHLA I have found one or two sources of Nana DHLA Liquid form

Nano DHLa
and the other is Geronova

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No hype is a standalone product ?