Potassium, magnesium and BP reduction

1. Registered User
    Answers

Potassium, magnesium and BP reduction

1: Clin Exp Hypertens. 2006 Jul;28(5):489-97. Related Articles, Links

Potassium magnesium supplementation for four weeks improves small distal artery compliance and reduces blood pressure in patients with essential hypertension.

Wu G, Tian H, Han K, Xi Y, Yao Y, Ma A.

Cardiovascular Department, the First Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University, Key Laboratory of Environment and Genes Related to Diseases, Ministry of Education, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China.

It has been postulated that the loss of arterial compliance may precede cardiovascular diseases, and that arterial compliance is an important parameter to consider when evaluating arterial diseases such as essential hypertension (EH) and the effects of antihypertensive treatment. In all, 133 EH patients and 147 healthy subjects were enrolled in this study. Large arterial compliance (C1) and small arterial compliance (C2) were measured by the CVProfilortrade mark DO-2020 CardioVascular Profiling System. Thirty-five patients randomly received magnesium potassium supplementation (magnesium, 70.8 mg/d; potassium, 217.2 mg/d) for four weeks, and 32 patients received lacidipin (4mg/d) as a control. Before and after the four weeks, blood pressure, C1, and C2 were measured. It was found that arterial compliance was significantly lower in EH patients compared with healthy subjects (C1: 12.53 +/- 0.33 vs. 15.63 +/- 0.30 ml/mmHg x 10, p < 0.01;C2: 3.79 +/- 0.17 vs. 5.69 +/- 0.25 ml/mmHg x 100,p < 0.01). On lacidipine, systolic and diastolic BP decreased 13.27 +/- 1.76 mm Hg and 6.33 +/- 1.55 mm Hg, and C1 and C2 compliance values increased 25.05% +/- 4.49% and 34.50% +/- 7.40%, respectively. On K+ and Mg2+ supplementation, systolic and diastolic BP decreased 7.83 +/- 1.87 mm Hg and 3.67 +/- 1.03 mm Hg, and C1 and C2 compliance values increased 12.44% +/- 4.43% and 45.25% +/- 6.67%, respectively. Decreases in systemic vascular resistance (mean arterial pressure divided by cardiac output) by 11.9% and 16.6 % (p < 0.01) were seen between the drug-induced changes, respectively. Both large arterial compliance and small arterial compliance were decreased in essential hypertension patients. In essential hypertension patients, magnesium and potassium supplementation could improve small arterial compliance, while lacidipine improved large arterial compliance significantly.

PMID: 16820345 [PubMed - in process]

2. Doctor Science
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Good post man. Those dosages are pretty low as well and very very very cheap.

I saw something like this a longgggg time ago (before I was a research whore haha) and totally forgot about it.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD
    Good post man. Those dosages are pretty low as well and very very very cheap.

I saw something like this a longgggg time ago (before I was a research whore haha) and totally forgot about it.
    I agree - the relatively low doses used in the study really blew my mind, and the total cost of both can be as cheap as $6 or $7, depending on the number of tablets. Combined with grape seed extract (there is a fairly recent study on Pub Med about this), I would think those of us that struggle with borderline high blood pressure would be quite happy. Add in L-carnosine, chromium, ALA, and benfotiamine for those who are at risk for type II diabetes, and one can "self-medicate" safely for less than $60 or $70 bucks every couple of months

I use both potassium and magnesium sporadically, but now I intend to make them both a daily thing. I suspect if I look hard enough, I can find a combo tablet at the local supermarket or at Wal-Mart.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I just read a research blub in MD last night that a reduction in carbohydrates yielded a 4 point reduction in blood pressure (not sure if systolic or dyastolic - will have to look later).

Card - not sure I've seen Mg + K in one tab at Wal-mart but by all means look. I think you'll have to get 2 different bottles.
    Sam's has a better deal on the K than Wal-mart, btw.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

The best brand I have used..and still use every night is Solaray's Magnesium-Potassium Asporotate. Helps relax, sleep deeper, and even wards off excessive pumps from cycling as well as keep cramps at bay when using a TTA product.

It's slightly more expensive, but has far greater absorption and never seems to cause stomach problems the way regular Mag can.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lean Extreme and/or REDuction
    By psychospic in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 03:24 PM
  3. help with cholesterol and BP
    By Get Big or Die in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 09:08 PM