Effects of Cinnamon on blood sugar/triglycerides/cholesterol

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Bioactive compounds extracted from cinnamon potentiate insulin activity, as measured by glucose oxidation in the rat epididymal fat cell assay. Wortmannin, a potent PI 3'-kinase inhibitor, decreases the biological response to insulin and bioactive compounds from cinnamon similarly, indicating that cinnamon is affecting an elements upstream of PI 3'-kinase. Enzyme studies done in vitro show that the bioactive compounds can stimulate autophosphorylation of a truncated form of the insulin receptor and can inhibit PTP-1, a rat homolog of a tyrosine phosphatase (PTP-1B) that inactivates the insulin receptor. No inhibition was found with alkaline phosphate or calcineurin suggesting that the active material is not a general phosphatase inhibitor. It is suggested, then, that a cinnamon compounds, like insulin, affects protein phosphorylation-dephosphorylation reactions in the intact adipocyte. Bioactive cinnamon compounds may find further use in studies of insulin resistance in adult-onset diabetes.

Cinnamon Improves Glucose and Lipids of People With Type 2 Diabetes
Alam Khan, MS, PHD1,2,3, Mahpara Safdar, MS1,2, Mohammad Muzaffar Ali Khan, MS, PHD1,2, Khan Nawaz Khattak, MS1,2 and Richard A. Anderson, PHD3

1 Department of Human Nutrition, NWFP Agricultural University, Peshawar, Pakistan
2 Post Graduate Medical Institute, Hayatabad Medical Complex, Peshawar, Pakistan
3 Nutrients Requirements and Functions Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Beltsville, Maryland

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Dr. Richard A. Anderson, Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Bldg. 307, Rm. 224, Beltsville, MD 20705. E-mail: [email protected]

OBJECTIVE—The objective of this study was to determine whether cinnamon improves blood glucose, triglyceride, total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and LDL cholesterol levels in people with type 2 diabetes.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS—A total of 60 people with type 2 diabetes, 30 men and 30 women aged 52.2 ± 6.32 years, were divided randomly into six groups. Groups 1, 2, and 3 consumed 1, 3, or 6 g of cinnamon daily, respectively, and groups 4, 5, and 6 were given placebo capsules corresponding to the number of capsules consumed for the three levels of cinnamon. The cinnamon was consumed for 40 days followed by a 20-day washout period.

RESULTS—After 40 days, all three levels of cinnamon reduced the mean fasting serum glucose (18–29%), triglyceride (23–30%), LDL cholesterol (7–27%), and total cholesterol (12–26%) levels; no significant changes were noted in the placebo groups. Changes in HDL cholesterol were not significant.

CONCLUSIONS—The results of this study demonstrate that intake of 1, 3, or 6 g of cinnamon per day reduces serum glucose, triglyceride, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes and suggest that the inclusion of cinnamon in the diet of people with type 2 diabetes will reduce risk factors associated with diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Cinnamon Extract Prevents the Insulin Resistance Induced by a High-fructose Diet

B. Qin 1, M. Nagasaki 2, M. Ren 3, G. Bajotto 1, Y. Oshida 1, 2, Y. Sato 1, 2
1 Department of Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
2 Research Center of Health, Physical Fitness and Sports, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
3 Department of Visual Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
Abstract

The aim of this study was to determine whether cinnamon extract (CE) would improve the glucose utilization in normal male Wistar rats fed a high-fructose diet (HFD) for three weeks with or without CE added to the drinking water (300 mg/kg/day). In vivo glucose utilization was measured by the euglycemic clamp technique. Further analyses on the possible changes in insulin signaling occurring in skeletal muscle were performed afterwards by Western blotting. At 3 mU/kg/min insulin infusions, the decreased glucose infusion rate (GIR) in HFD-fed rats (60 % of controls, p < 0.01) was improved by CE administration to the same level of controls (normal chow diet) and the improving effect of CE on the GIR of HFD-fed rats was blocked by approximately 50 % by N-monometyl-L-arginine. The same tendency was found during the 30 mU/kg/min insulin infusions. There were no differences in skeletal muscle insulin receptor (IR)-β, IR substrate (IRS)-1, or phosphatidylinositol (PI) 3-kinase protein content in any groups. However, the muscular insulin-stimulated IR-β and IRS-1 tyrosine phosphorylation levels and IRS-1 associated with PI 3-kinase in HFD-fed rats were only 70 ± 9 %, 76 ± 5 %, and 72 ± 6 % of controls (p < 0.05), respectively, and these decreases were significantly improved by CE treatment. These results suggest that early CE administration to HFD-fed rats would prevent the development of insulin resistance at least in part by enhancing insulin signaling and possibly via the NO pathway in skeletal muscle.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I've seen a whole lot of similar reports........and take cinnamon supplements as a result.........so cheap for such (seemingly) profound long-term health benefits.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
That cinnulin is supposed to be some special extract........maybe worth it, I don't know. In addition to bulk, you can also buy regular old cinnamon capped pretty cheap (couple bucks for 90 caps) from various producers.

And/Or you can incorporate it into your diet:

Cinnamon-Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes

2 cups "complete" pancake mix 1/4 cup quick (not instant) oats 1 tsp. cinnamon 2 cups water 1 tsp. plain vegetable oil, for cooking 1 cup blueberries, or to taste, fresh or frozen 1 cup maple syrup for serving

Cook's note: For testing purposes, we used Hungry Jack Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix. Be sure to choose a mix that requires only water and no other additional ingredients. The amount of water specified may vary from brand to brand, which is fine. Simply use 1/ 2 cup more water than is directed for 2 cups of mix to compensate for the oats. The amount of oil may vary depending on your pan. Use more if needed. Turn on the oven to 300 F. Place the pancake mix into a medium mixing bowl. Add the oats and cinnamon, and stir well. Add the water and stir just until the lumps disappear. (Batter will be slightly lumpy.) Heat the oil on medium-high in an extra-deep 12- inch skillet or pancake griddle. Pour about 1/4-cup batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake, cooking 3 to 4 per batch. (More or less batter may be used for each pancake as desired.) Immediately sprinkle blueberries on top of each pancake, to taste. Cook 1 to 1- 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place the cooked pancakes in the warm oven, and continue to cook the pancakes in batches until all of the batter is used. Serve at once with maple syrup, if desired.

Start to finish: 20 minutes. Makes 14 to 16 pancakes.

Approximate values per pancake: 134 calories (9 percent from fat), 1 g fat (trace amount saturated), 4 mg cholesterol, 2 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 213 mg sodium.

Desperation Dinners: Desperation Dinners -- Quick and easy recipes that taste good!.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Sadly - Wal-mart has Cinnulin PF for $12.50.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Okay, crazy question butt: If I take a regular cinnamon supplement, say just 1 pill, after I work out, would it affect the way my post workout carb and protein drink work?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Isn't there a mild toxicity issue with taking many grams of regular cinnamin?

Hope not, because I add a bunch of it to my coffee every AM. lol

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Toxicity studies in mice of common spices, Cinnamomum zeylanicum bark and Piper longum fruits

A.H. Shah1 Contact Information, A.H. Al-Shareef1, A.M. Ageel2 and S. Qureshi2
(1) Central Laboratory for Drug and Food Analysis, M.O.H., P.O.Box 59082, Riyadh-, 11525, Saudi Arabia
(2) Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Abstract Acute (24 hours) and chronic (90 days) oral toxicity studies on the ethanolic extracts of common spices Cinnamomum zeylanicum Nees bark and Piper longum L. fruits were carried out in mice. Acute dosages were 0.5, 1.0 and 3 g/kg while the chronic dosage was 100 mg/kg/day. All external morphological, hematological and spermatogenic changes, in addition to body weight and vital organ weights, were recorded. The extracts of both the plants caused no significant acute or chronic mortality compared to the control during this study. During chronic treatment there was no significant change in the pre- and post treatment body weight of the test animals while the weight gain in the control group was significant. C. zeylanicum treatment caused reduction in liver weight while P. longum caused a significant increase in the weight of the lungs and spleen of the treated animals compared to the control. Hematological studies revealed a significant fall in hemoglobin level of C. zeylanicum treated animals. Both of the extracts induced a significant increase in reproductive organ weights, sperm motility, sperm count and failed to illicit any spermatotoxic effect.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hold up - so cinnamon can increase my reproductive organ weight!!!!!

3 lb balls - here I come!

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
so do I start taking 1,3, or 6 grams daily?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. Livign at high altitude, I can't say lowered hemoglobin levels really appeal to me, lol, but it seems there is no serious toxicity to worry about. The lowered liver weight is kind of interesting though...some sort of choleo dynamic reaction perhaps.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Interesting. Livign at high altitude, I can't say lowered hemoglobin levels really appeal to me, lol, but it seems there is no serious toxicity to worry about. The lowered liver weight is kind of interesting though...some sort of choleo dynamic reaction perhaps.
I will read the full text version, the lowered hemoglobin was probably the group consuming 100mg/kg*bodyweight which is a lot.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, caught that. There's only so many pounds of cinnamon I can choke down in a day so I doubt it's an issue.

I remember hearing about this years ago and read of diabetics getting complete control of their blood sugar levels with tablespoon of cinnamon per day. Love it when a treatment is right under our noses.

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember hearing about this years ago and read of diabetics getting complete control of their blood sugar levels with tablespoon of cinnamon per day. Love it when a treatment is right under our noses.
but the pharmacy companies don't...

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I guess you don't have to get caps of these if you use it on regular basis. I eat some twice a day in my oatmeal, and you get the taste benefits too.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I have started adding 3/4 tsp in my shakes ...good?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I have started adding 3/4 tsp in my shakes ...good?
Typical Dosage
Crushed Cinnamon: 2 to 4 grams (about one-half teaspoonful) daily
Essential oil: 50 to 200 milligrams daily
Tea: 1 cup 2 to 3 times daily with meals
Liquid extract: 0.5 to 1 milliliter 3 times daily
Alcohol solution (tincture): up to 4 milliliters (almost 1 teaspoonful) 3 times daily
Potency of commercial preparations may vary. Follow the manufacturer's instructions whenever available. Store away from light and moisture in a non-synthetic container.

ABA4life

Awards
Yeah and cinnamon also masks the flavor of nasty ass supplements. I mix bulk super cissus in with my protein shake and it tastes like shiit. By adding cinnamon, it completely masks the flavor, and tastes fine.

arjun4

arjun4

Awards
you should not be megadosing regular cinnamon...there are two types of cinnamon... ceylon cinnamon and cassia cinnamon. its not possible for the layman to make the distinction between the two... cassia (which is what you find mostly in american stores) contains relatively high levels of coumarin and other fat soluble toxins. ceylon is ok, but expensive....

cinnulin PF contains only the beneficial water soluble compounds, Type-A Polymers etc...

Sniper1088

Sniper1088

Awards
you should not be megadosing regular cinnamon...there are two types of cinnamon... ceylon cinnamon and cassia cinnamon. its not possible for the layman to make the distinction between the two... cassia (which is what you find mostly in american stores) contains relatively high levels of coumarin and other fat soluble toxins. ceylon is ok, but expensive....

cinnulin PF contains only the beneficial water soluble compounds, Type-A Polymers etc...

So there is no visual difference?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established