Question Regarding Whey Protein

CuriousJohn

Awards
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

Quick question regarding whey protein. In the last month or so I've been getting a lot more serious into losing weight and weightlifting. I gained a lot of weight a couple of years ago and was at 210 pounds at 5 foot 9 inches. I'm back down to 170 and I really want to lose a bit more weight and gain a lot of muscle. I do not want to bulk up, but become more lean and have a great physique. I purchased whey protein and I was wondering how often I should take it. I purchases the 100% whey gold standard dietary supplements and have found great reviews on google. It says to take 3 scoops a day and 1 of those being after I work out.

I have 2 questions:
1. Should I be taking those 3 scoops on days that I am not working out as well as the days I am working out?
2. i've been working out 1 muscle group per week. Abs on Monday, chest/arms on Wednesday, and legs on Friday. The guy at the store said with the whey protein in my diet, I should be able to work out every other day. Is this true and if not, how will the whey change my workout schedule accordingly. I know I'll have to see how my body reacts and make adjustments accordingly, but is his every other day claim really true?

Thanks in advance for the help.

punksurfer024

punksurfer024

Awards
my suggestion for use of whey is as follows:

-upon waking in morning in order to break your catabolic fast from sleeping

-preworkout to get nutrients into blood before you work them out

-post workout to feed your muscles the nutrients they need when they need it (most important)

as for use everyday yes you can use it everyday i personally do. its just protein. the reason (i think) the guy at the store said you will be able to workout more often is becuase of increased recovery time. thats a personal thing though, if your body can handle it without becoming over trained then go for it.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Punk has it about right.

I take in at least 3 a day. Sometimes I have a whey shake + oatmeal as a mid-day meal if I'm pressed for time.