Nutritional benefits of ginger

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
In Asian societies, ginger has always been known for its healing powers. Pythagorus was one of its greatest supporters in Ancient Greece. King Henry VIII of England used it to protect against the plague. Though we don't know for sure if ginger can actually protect you from the plague, we do know that it is beneficial in many other ways.

The American Phytotherapy Research Laboratory in Salt Lake City has conducted a classic study on motion sickness, which may cause you to leave the dramamine on the shelf during your next vacation. By spinning motion sickness-prone students in two groups-one group was given Dramamine, the other group ginger-it was discovered that the group given the ginger was able to withstand the full 6 minute "spin" with less nausea and dizziness, while the other group stopped the ride within 4 1/2 minutes. Japanese researchers believe the gingerols found in ginger, may be responsible for blocking the body's reflex to vomit. Taking 1/4 teaspoon 20 minutes before a car or baot trip should give you about 4 hours of relief. Another popular remedy is 3 or 4 slices of sliced ginger in a cup of boiling water to make ginger tea. Sip as needed to relieve nausea caused by motion sickness.

Denmark researchers have discovered that ginger can block the effects of prostaglandins. These are substances that cause inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain, which leads to migraines. Though the results are still experimental, 1/3 teaspoon of fresh of powdered ginger taken when you feel a migraine coming on can help stop pain before it starts. Using the same theory, ginger has been found to produce "marked" relief in arthritis pain. The ginger tea described above or 1/2 teaspoon of ginger is recommended by Danish researchers for arthritis relief.

A researcher at Cornell University Medical College discovered that ginger has an effect on blood clots that is similar to that of aspirin. By the same token, it appears that high cholesterol levels are lowered using the same active ingredient,thromboxane.

When buying ginger, fresh is best! Be sure to avoid ginger with dry, wrinkled, skin, mold or soft spots. African ot Indian ginger are the most potent. Grating or using a garlic press will give you the maximum benefit. Ginger can definitely give you many benefits but more is not always better. An ounce a day should give you all the benefits you will need.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
Love ginger,always munchdown with the slices they give with all ths sushi i eat :)
And I keep capsulles of extract onhand.Nothing beats ginger for a digestive aid when one is pounding the protein.
Ill vouch for its preventative effects towards motion sickness as well via car or plane.
And as mentioned as well,its blood thinning effects are worthy to be noted,help give ppl an alternative to aspirin which imo should not be ingested by human beings.
Naseua?Ginger is the ultimate remedy for this as well.
And I cant forget to touch upon its anti inflammatory effects.Potent stuff,what an wonderful plant.

nphocus

Banned
Awards
I've read that in higher dosages that Ginger is also a potent thermogenic and stimulant... Dosing 6 or more grams per day is supposed to produce thermogenic effects superior to ECA.

ECA = 5% increase
6gr Ginger = 20% increase

There are also studies showing that ginger intake increases activity in muscle cells.

nphocus

Banned
Awards
check out some of the older superhumanradio podcasts, carl lenore seems to love this stuff. I was looking for a DNP substitute and ginger looks to fit the bill, nevermind not being explosive... or banned... or any number of a dozen other things...

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
are there actual results when taking at that high of a level? I wonder if there are any sides at 6g+ per day! I;d be interested in adding this to my arsenal. Anyone know if it is sold in bulk anywhere?

DMac

DMac

Awards
ya.. Ginger, man she was good f___...

Oh, you mean the plant!

Looks interesting man, never knew it was good for so much stuff. So what do you suggest for using this as a supplement, caps, or just buy it at the store? Do u just weigh out 6 grams of the raw stuff or is it 6 grams of extract?

nphocus

Banned
Awards
I sourced a 5% bulk powder from an internet supplier based out of PA. 1lb was about 50.00 shipped via priority mail. To save some headaches, the 4:1, 5:1, and even the 10:1 are not STANDARDIZED and not even half the potency of standardized 5%. Furthermore, the caps you buy at your local nutritional supplier, that don't list a ?:1 or 5% ratio have been tested in studies for the primary active in ginger, 6-gingerol, and have been found SEVERELY LACKING. FYI, Shagol is not an active in ginger. I've suggested NP add this to their lineup, but the supplier they are contacting wants them to buy it by the freaking barrel, two to be precise. So they are still negotiating.

If you can get the raw bulk 5% standardized powder, that is going to be the most potent. 5% of 6gr is going to be 300mg of active compound. The best I've sourced locally from nutrition shops in bottled/capped form is 15mg of standardized actives per cap. So 6gr of powder vs 20 pills at only 60 pills per bottle. I think you are better off buying the powder. Do the tea thing, or just choke it down with water, or cap it, or make ice tea and soak your dogs in it, cuz it is a fungicide and kills athlete's foot... so many uses...

Ginger is also a very mild, but very potent, non jittery stimulant. it's also a key ingredient in PA Ergopharm's Clearshot. It's also present in most of the fat burners out there, but in too low of a dosage and probably for it's antioxidant effects. Oh, did I mention that it's also a potent antioxidant?

Oh yeah, for those that eat raw eggs:
In scientific studies it has been determined that ginger kills salmonella in the intestinal tract. Kills it dead. Nuff typing, I got 30 raw eggs to chug.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I sourced a 5% bulk powder from an internet supplier based out of PA. 1lb was about 50.00 shipped via priority mail. To save some headaches, the 4:1, 5:1, and even the 10:1 are not STANDARDIZED and not even half the potency of standardized 5%. Furthermore, the caps you buy at your local nutritional supplier, that don't list a ?:1 or 5% ratio have been tested in studies for the primary active in ginger, 6-gingerol, and have been found SEVERELY LACKING. FYI, Shagol is not an active in ginger. I've suggested NP add this to their lineup, but the supplier they are contacting wants them to buy it by the freaking barrel, two to be precise. So they are still negotiating.

If you can get the raw bulk 5% standardized powder, that is going to be the most potent. 5% of 6gr is going to be 300mg of active compound. The best I've sourced locally from nutrition shops in bottled/capped form is 15mg of standardized actives per cap. So 6gr of powder vs 20 pills at only 60 pills per bottle. I think you are better off buying the powder. Do the tea thing, or just choke it down with water, or cap it, or make ice tea and soak your dogs in it, cuz it is a fungicide and kills athlete's foot... so many uses...

Ginger is also a very mild, but very potent, non jittery stimulant. it's also a key ingredient in PA Ergopharm's Clearshot. It's also present in most of the fat burners out there, but in too low of a dosage and probably for it's antioxidant effects. Oh, did I mention that it's also a potent antioxidant?

Oh yeah, for those that eat raw eggs:
In scientific studies it has been determined that ginger kills salmonella in the intestinal tract. Kills it dead. Nuff typing, I got 30 raw eggs to chug.

No offense, but raw egg whites are not very good:

From mercola:
raw egg whites contain a glycoprotein called avidin that is very effective at binding biotin, one of the B vitamins. The concern is that this can lead to a biotin deficiency. The simple solution is to cook the egg whites as this completely deactivates the avidin.

The problem is that it also completely deactivates nearly every other protein in the egg white. While you will still obtain nutritional benefits from consuming cooked egg whites, from a nutritional perspective it would seem far better to consume them uncooked.
So you eat raw egg whites, but you almost have no protein in the end. Food for thought..

nphocus

Banned
Awards
Fvcking non-reading idiots that copy and paste and don't comprehend.....

Bye