Other Kinds of Protein besides Whey?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys are there any other protein powders out there that or not dairy based that are any good? Have you guys tried any of them and if so what products are the best you have tried? The Dairy is giving me some stomach problems.

Mr.50

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
You could try egg albumin powder. Had a friend with the same prob... whey gave him a bad case of 'da farts and he swore by egg protein powder (dude was jacked). I've never tried it but just an idea. They carry it at all the chain stores.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
You have soy protein, and casein. Some protein blends like lean dessert are available. Really good BTW.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
casein is dairy... but hey if you havent tried it yet... worth a try

Pit Bull

Awards
maybe try a whey that has aminogen digestive enzymes and see if that helps if you already have or it still does go with egg

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Which specific proteins have you tried? Some brands of whey gas me up bad, while others give me no problems at all. I think Syntrax Matrix gave me the worst problems. That cheap crap from WalMart tore me up too.

dd

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have tried tons. Most recently was Cytosport Complete Whey and now ON.

Mr.50

Which specific proteins have you tried? Some brands of whey gas me up bad, while others give me no problems at all. I think Syntrax Matrix gave me the worst problems. That cheap crap from WalMart tore me up too.

dd

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
ON is my favorite... it has aminogen... doesnt seem to gas me upp too bad, but with all the oatmeal and lentils in my diet I have gas all the time anyway. my fiance love the dutch oven!!! LMFAO:rofl:

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
STAY away from SOY i do not care what they say about it being good, blah, blah I want nothing that says phyto-estrogen in it. Anyway all i see are metrosexual fitness guys who drink soy milk. NO GOOD !!! Ok rant over, egg protein is great as my last weeks precontest were mostly eggs, sunny side up... nice, and filled out is how i felt...

Last edited:
Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Ha!!! yeah soy SUCKS!!! but it does work wonders on my sweet hooter:chick:
by the way, metersexual dudes are hilarious

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, then egg might work for you, but I think it's fairly expensive.
Have you tried getting some cheap lactase supplement to help with digestion? There may be other enzymes to help with milk digestion, too. I'm just not knowledgable in that area, but a google search may turn up some alternatives.

dd

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yah I tried it but the Lactase only helps with Milk sugars not the actual Milk protein. Any even the protein with the aminogen (ON) still seems to bother me. What can I say. I guess it is time to shell out some more money on egg protein.

Mr.50

Well, then egg might work for you, but I think it's fairly expensive.
Have you tried getting some cheap lactase supplement to help with digestion? There may be other enzymes to help with milk digestion, too. I'm just not knowledgable in that area, but a google search may turn up some alternatives.

dd

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Acidopholus should def help with digestion:
Probiotics also promote healthy digestion. Enzymes secreted by probiotic bacteria aid digestion. Acidophilus is a source of lactase, the enzyme needed to digest milk, which is lacking in lactose-intolerant individuals.
As my wife is Lactose Intolerant she pops 2 wafers, and eats her ice cream and is pain free...

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
yeah shellin' out the dough sux. you might check out the board sponsors to see if they got some inexpensive egg protein... if not, I think the vitamin shoppe has it for reasonable$$$

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
yes... probiotcs also a fantastic idea!!!

rocketscientist

Awards
Well - your problem probably come from whey concentrate which contains lactose. Whey isolates do not (though iso-chill seems to contain a bit), but for cost efficiency most manufacturers mix concentrates with isolates (and throw other junk in like gum as thickener). Check the sugar contents for the quality.

The problem with egg protein is that it doesn't taste very good... but maybe that has been fixed since I tried it.

Anyway - you should be fine if you get yourself a good (real) pure whey isolate. Look at the board sponsors.

Should add that the lactalbumin in whey isolate should also be better digestable if that causes problems for you.

And crowler has like a gazillion different flavors.

Last edited:
Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
You mentioned that you tried lactase, which as you mentioned, breaks down the lactose (sugar). you could try to find an enzyme blend that contains protease which aids in the breakdown of proteins... just a thought