My GF is about to undergo surgery

labrad

Awards
  • Established
My GF, a bodybuilder, is about to undergo surgery. The Dr. told her that after surgery, she should not work out for 6-8 weeks. She is worried about losing some of her hard earned muscle. Does anyone have any suggestions on supplements she should take? Any advice would be appreciated.

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Whats she having surgery on? That would impact what she could still work on... Talk to ya..

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Ohhh boob job, nice job for you labrad heh, well tell her not to take it seriously, just need to wait till it heals, muscle atrophy will result, you might want to go with glutamine for some anti catabolic properties but other than that, muscle memory will come back as soon as she hits the gym, good luck.

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
I though so. I just wanted to ask in a nice way so i don;t look like a perv.. hehehe.. She can still do legs.... Talk to ya..

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
i think the glutamine is a pretty good idea....but some atrophy will prolly occur...but like another post said muscle memory will kick in and i dare say she will not only gain it back but i'd bet she'll gain some. i know that happened to me after my shoulder surgery. and i couldnt lift for 6 months after surgery.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I told her about muscle memory, but she is impatient. I thought about glutamine and maybe some bcaa's? More ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
labrad, just go with the anti-catabolic properties because she isn;t going to be lifting or stimulating new muscle growth or maintenance for that mean, so she will have to be patient and just wait till she can come back , peace.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
High Protein diet, HMB.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I would add CLA at high doses if you can afford it. Find a good tonalin brand and take at least 10 grams a day.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

HMB, are you sure? Not one to doubt your advice, but... What are your opinions on glutamine and BCAA's? As always, I appreciate your input.
I don't give advice unless I'm sure. Its a better anti-catabolic than glutamine.

Jay Mc

Awards
haha this is all moot, she's not gonna wanna do anything, much less down glutamine and giant BCAA pills. Thats a REALLY painful surgery. As long as she eats well (at least from my experience) she shouldn't lose too much, and what she does lose will likely be made up for by the new hoo hoo's....I'm glad curt's a perv and got to the bottom of this :)

J

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Agreed Jay, just have her watch her diet, follow Bobo suggestions and have her look at it as major cutting time.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Who cares? You're gonna be too busy staring at those boobies.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
HMB:

Beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. When taken in divided doses totalling 2-4 grams per day, there is usually an very strong anti-catabolic effect. HMB is a metabloite of the branched chan amino acid L-leucine...so large amounts of this amino acid would show an increased amount of circulating HMB.

I have used HMB in the past and have had great results with it...its a little pricey, but good.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not that pricey anymore. That was always the bad thing about it.

Universal Nutrition

120 750mg Capsules $12 ;)

Jay Mc

Awards
you guys only using HMB for cutting or at other times like post cycle or during a gear free cycle?

J

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
well my wife had implants herself, and it makes a big difference if they are put in under the muscle or ontop, which is she doing? My wife had them under the muscle and she could not lift weights for AT LEAST 6-8 weeks, no joke. Now my sis in law had them ontop the muscle and she could lift weights again in like 3 weeks

institutional

Awards
My GF, a bodybuilder, is about to undergo surgery. The Dr. told her that after surgery, she should not work out for 6-8 weeks. She is worried about losing some of her hard earned muscle. Does anyone have any suggestions on supplements she should take? Any advice would be appreciated.
bro just admit it your getting pec implants, and need advice:D :D :).

i couldnt resist that one!

labrad

Awards
  • Established
well my wife had implants herself, and it makes a big difference if they are put in under the muscle or ontop, which is she doing? My wife had them under the muscle and she could not lift weights for AT LEAST 6-8 weeks, no joke. Now my sis in law had them ontop the muscle and she could lift weights again in like 3 weeks

I am not 100% sure, but I believe they are going to be over the muscle. Thanks for all of the input. Really appreciate it.

Clintdogg

Clintdogg

Awards
yeah...were gonna need some before/after pics to detirmine other things also....:p

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: My GF is about to undergo surgery

Originally posted by institutional

bro just admit it your getting pec implants, and need advice:D :D :).

i couldnt resist that one!

LOL!  That one caught me off guard.  I'm sitting here all serious reading about HMB.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Not that pricey anymore. That was always the bad thing about it.

Universal Nutrition

120 750mg Capsules $12 ;)
Looks like HMB is it. Where is the site, and how much a day?

labrad

Awards
  • Established
dps labrad and its ultimate not universal
dpsnutrition.com? Thanks. Oh yeah, I will give you bro's a follow up (it will be a couple of months), but no pics. For those that need a visual, go to your local topless bar.:D

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Forgot to ask again. Bobo (or anyone) how much per day?