Chromium , no use for fat loss but how about Insulin Sensivity?

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
I know from a lot of studies i've researched on my own it doesn't offer any improvement on fat loss on any individuals, but lets examine chromium from a different point of view that could help us achieve a more post workout anabolic environment :

1: Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 2001 Sep;30(5):284-6 Related Articles, Links

[Effects of chromium and fish oil on insulin resistance and leptin resistance in obese developing rats]

[Article in Chinese]

Wang S, Sun C, Kao Q, Yu C.

Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Public Health College, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150001, China.

In order to study the effects of chromium and fish oil on insulin resistance and leptin resistance in obese rats, 50 rats were divided randomly into five groups: basal diet group was fed on normal diet, other four groups were fed on high fat diet. In addition to high fat diet, chromium group fed chromium (3 mg/kg BW), fish oil group fish oil(5 ml/kg BW) and chromium + fish oil group fed chromium(3 mg/kg BW) plus fish oil(5 ml/kg BW). Blood samples were collected in the following five weeks from tail each week to determine blood sugar, insulin and leptin. The results showed that blood sugar, insulin and leptin in fish oil group and chromium group were lower than those in high fat diet control group. Chromium and fish oil improved the insulin resistance and leptin resistance.

PMID: 12561594 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Biol Psychiatry 2003 Feb 1;53(3):261-4 Related Articles, Links

Effectiveness of chromium in atypical depression: a placebo-controlled trial.

Davidson JR, Abraham K, Connor KM, McLeod MN.

Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA.

BACKGROUND: Chromium picolinate (CP) has been reported to benefit patients with symptoms of atypical depression. METHODS: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, pilot study of CP was conducted in 15 patients with DSM-IV major depressive disorder, atypical type. Patients received 600 micro g of CP or matching placebo (PBO) for 8 weeks. RESULTS: Seven (70%) CP and zero (0%) PBO patients met responder criteria (p =.02). Other outcomes were consistent with greater effect of CP. Three patients on CP failed to show any improvement. Chromium picolinate was well tolerated. CONCLUSIONS: Chromium picolinate shows promising antidepressant effects in atypical depression. Its mechanism of action may relate to 5HT2A downregulation, increased insulin sensitivity, or to other effects.

PMID: 12559660 [PubMed - in process]

1: Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 2000 Nov;29(6):370-1 Related Articles, Links

[Effect of chromium gluconate on body weight, serum leptin and insulin in rats]

[Article in Chinese]

Sun C, Zhang W, Wang S, Zhang Y.

Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150001, China.

In order to observe the effect of chromium on rat body weight, serum leptin and insulin, eight groups of rats were randomly fed diets (basal diet or high-fat diet) with different levels of chromium gluconate [proximally Cr(III) 1,2 and 3 mg/kg BW]. All rats were weighted once a week. By the end of the 8th week, all rats were decapitalized and the levels of serum leptin and insulin were tested by RIA method. The ratio of liver, spleen, kidney and testickle to body weight were calculated. The average body weight and the levels of leptin and insulin of high-fat-diet groups were significantly higher than those of the basal-diet group (P < 0.05), but the insulin and leptin of groups with chromium were significantly lower than their corresponding control groups without chromium(P < 0.05). It was concluded that chromium could cause weight loss slightly and reduce the levels of insulin and leptin.

PMID: 12520958 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: J Biol Inorg Chem 2002 Sep;7(7-8):852-62 Related Articles, Links

The biomimetic [Cr(3)O(O(2)CCH(2)CH(3))(6)(H(2)O)(3)](+ )decreases plasma insulin, cholesterol, and triglycerides in healthy and type II diabetic rats but not type I diabetic rats.

Sun Y, Clodfelder BJ, Shute AA, Irvin T, Vincent JB.

Department of Chemistry and Coalition for Biomolecular Products, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0336, USA.

The in vivo effects of administration of the synthetic, functional biomimetic cation [Cr(3)O(O(2)CCH(2)CH(3))(6)(H(2)O)(3)](+) to healthy and type I and type II diabetic model rats are described. In contrast to current chromium-containing nutrition supplements, which only serve as sources of absorbable chromium, the trinuclear cation has been shown in in vitro assays to interact with the insulin receptor, activating its kinase activity, presumably by trapping the receptor in its active conformation. Thus, treatment of rats with the trinuclear cation would be expected to result in changes in lipid and carbohydrate metabolism related to insulin action. After 24 weeks of intravenous administration (0-20 micro g Cr/kg body mass), the cation results in a concentration-dependent lowering of levels of fasting blood plasma LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, triglycerides, and insulin and of 2-h plasma insulin and glucose levels after a glucose challenge; these results confirm a previous 12-week study examining the effect of the synthetic cation on healthy rats and are in stark contrast to those of administration of other forms of Cr(III) to rats, which have no effect on these parameters. The cation has little, if any, effect on rats with STZ-induced diabetes (a type I diabetes model). However, Zucker obese rats (a model of the early stages of type II diabetes) after 24 weeks of supplementation (20 micro g/kg) have lower fasting plasma total, HDL, and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, and insulin levels and lower 2-h plasma insulin levels. The lowering of plasma insulin concentrations with little effect on glucose concentrations suggests that the supplement increases insulin sensitivity.

PMID: 12203022 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: J Nutr 2002 Jun;132(6):1107-14 Related Articles, Links

Oral chromium picolinate improves carbohydrate and lipid metabolism and enhances skeletal muscle Glut-4 translocation in obese, hyperinsulinemic (JCR-LA corpulent) rats.

Cefalu WT, Wang ZQ, Zhang XH, Baldor LC, Russell JC.

Department of Medicine, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, USA. [email protected]

Human studies suggest that chromium picolinate (CrPic) decreases insulin levels and improves glucose disposal in obese and type 2 diabetic populations. To evaluate whether CrPic may aid in treatment of the insulin resistance syndrome, we assessed its effects in JCR:LA-corpulent rats, a model of this syndrome. Male lean and obese hyperinsulinemic rats were randomly assigned to receive oral CrPic [80 microg/(kg. d); n = 5 or 6, respectively) in water or to control conditions (water, n = 5). After 3 mo, a 120-min intraperitoneal glucose tolerance test (IPGTT) and a 30-min insulin tolerance test were performed. Obese rats administered CrPic had significantly lower fasting insulin levels (1848 +/- 102 vs. 2688 +/- 234 pmol/L; P < 0.001; mean +/- SEM) and significantly improved glucose disappearance (P < 0.001) compared with obese controls. Glucose and insulin areas under the curve for IPGTT were significantly less for obese CrPic-treated rats than in obese controls (P < 0.001). Obese CrPic-treated rats had lower plasma total cholesterol (3.57 +/- 0.28 vs. 4.11 +/- 0.47 mmol/L, P < 0.05) and higher HDL cholesterol levels (1.92 +/- 0.09 vs. 1.37 +/- 0.36 mmol/L, P < 0.01) than obese controls. CrPic did not alter plasma glucose or cholesterol levels in lean rats. Total skeletal muscle glucose transporter (Glut)-4 did not differ among groups; however, CrPic significantly enhanced membrane-associated Glut-4 in obese rats after insulin stimulation. Thus, CrPic supplementation enhances insulin sensitivity and glucose disappearance, and improves lipids in male obese hyperinsulinemic JCR:LA-corpulent rats.

PMID: 12042418 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
this was actually just discussed last night in the scam supps thread, as DrofGolf had posted his support of Cr supplementation for insulin efficiency reasons (which I don't necessarily disagree with). it's been shown that moderate doses (i.e., multi) DO help keep insulin efficiency at optimum levels, but that further large-dose supplementation is not necessary. I did mention studies done on animals as you posted, and then showed some done on humans in both elderly and resistance training environments, and it can be shown that extra Cr supplementation is NOT particularly beneficial from what I have gathered.

linky- Ineffective Supps Thread, Cr & Insulin

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Yes biggin I currently agree with you about extra chromium supplementation not being particularly beneficial on strength or fat loss gains, but in less amount spread throughout the day , I think it would prove as a good supplement to have to further improve insulin efficiency at optimum levels specially post workout. as little at 300 to 600 divided 2 times a day.