ALCAR Vs. PLCAR....Whats better? Benefits?

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
been reading on these 2 supps.....but.....i want to know what you guys feel as the benefits of this stuff...and the difference between the 2.......do they both have mental bonuses...ive heard alcar is better mentally than plcar....but some people say that plcar is all around better than alcar....also.....fat loss benefits?? some say yes....some dont mention it.....let me know what you guys think

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
damn..no one has tried either of these products?

lilkev42

lilkev42

Awards
  • Established
I have tried ALCAR, but never PLCAR. I havn't seen many reviews on PLCAR, all I know is Primaforce's Durablast has it in it. Thats the only supplement besides buying it in bulk, that I have seen. I tried to get some PLCAR but it was sold out when I tried to get it. Otherwise I would be able to chime in on the differences.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I use Alcar when I feel like doggy doo-doo, I take it with R-ala. Never heard of the other one. Alcar is nice for sure, but I wouldnt want to take it everyday. Its a great pick me up when your not feeling good or overly tired.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Originally Posted by Propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine in chronic fatigue syndrome
OBJECTIVES: We compared the effects of acetylcarnitine, propionylcarnitine and both compounds on the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
METHODS: In an open, randomized fashion we compared 2 g/d acetyl-L-carnitine, 2 g/d propionyl-L-carnitine, and its combination in 3 groups of 30 CFS patients during 24 weeks. Effects were rated by clinical global impression of change. Secondary endpoints were the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory, McGill Pain Questionnaire, and the Stroop attention concentration test. Scores were assessed 8 weeks before treatment; at randomization; after 8, 16, and 24 weeks of treatment; and 2 weeks later.
RESULTS: Clinical global impression of change after treatment showed considerable improvement in 59% of the patients in the acetylcarnitine group and 63% in the propionylcarnitine group, but less in the acetylcarnitine plus propionylcarnitine group (37%). Acetylcarnitine significantly improved mental fatigue (p =.015) and propionylcarnitine improved general fatigue (p =.004). Attention concentration improved in all groups, whereas pain complaints did not decrease in any group. Two weeks after treatment, worsening of fatigue was experienced by 52%, 50%, and 37% in the acetylcarnitine, propionylcarnitine, and combined group, respectively. In the acetylcarnitine group, but not in the other groups, the changes in plasma carnitine levels correlated with clinical improvement.
CONCLUSIONS: Acetylcarnitine and propionylcarnitine showed beneficial effect on fatigue and attention concentration. Less improvement was found by the combined treatment. Acetylcarnitine had main effect on mental fatigue and propionylcarnitine on general fatigue.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Originally Posted by Propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine in chronic fatigue syndrome
OBJECTIVES: We compared the effects of acetylcarnitine, propionylcarnitine and both compounds on the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
METHODS: In an open, randomized fashion we compared 2 g/d acetyl-L-carnitine, 2 g/d propionyl-L-carnitine, and its combination in 3 groups of 30 CFS patients during 24 weeks. Effects were rated by clinical global impression of change. Secondary endpoints were the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory, McGill Pain Questionnaire, and the Stroop attention concentration test. Scores were assessed 8 weeks before treatment; at randomization; after 8, 16, and 24 weeks of treatment; and 2 weeks later.
RESULTS: Clinical global impression of change after treatment showed considerable improvement in 59% of the patients in the acetylcarnitine group and 63% in the propionylcarnitine group, but less in the acetylcarnitine plus propionylcarnitine group (37%). Acetylcarnitine significantly improved mental fatigue (p =.015) and propionylcarnitine improved general fatigue (p =.004). Attention concentration improved in all groups, whereas pain complaints did not decrease in any group. Two weeks after treatment, worsening of fatigue was experienced by 52%, 50%, and 37% in the acetylcarnitine, propionylcarnitine, and combined group, respectively. In the acetylcarnitine group, but not in the other groups, the changes in plasma carnitine levels correlated with clinical improvement.
CONCLUSIONS: Acetylcarnitine and propionylcarnitine showed beneficial effect on fatigue and attention concentration. Less improvement was found by the combined treatment. Acetylcarnitine had main effect on mental fatigue and propionylcarnitine on general fatigue.
very nice little study...thank you

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I have used ALCAR for the past year and just recently changed to PLCAR to see if I notice any difference (Keep in mind that I stack this with Piracatem and Choline). After two weeks of using it, I have noticed that I feel more alert and less mentally tired. Not sure if this is due to the fact that I just changed over to it, but I will continue to monitor.

Gumbo

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone whant to buy some alcar from me? I personally don't like the stuff. It maks me tired, even at the lowest dosage, even with choline. I probably have 80 grams left, so message me if you whant it.

I have to warn you that I'm not even sure how I would ship it yet.

jim623

I've been on PLCAR for 2 weeks @ 2g twice a day, it does seem to help burn fat a little but mainly it's an overall good feeling. Not a boost of energy, just a well rested feeling.

Never tried ALCAR.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
ALCAR geared for the brain
PLCAR geared for enery, mitochondria boost, heart and overall energy

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been on ALCAR for a while. 3g, 2x/day. Haven't noticed much honestly.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
OK I am about to be a noob, I searched PLCAR even propionylcarnitine and only found Lcarnitine. Can someone help me find PLCAR as an actual supplement.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
OK I am about to be a noob, I searched PLCAR even propionylcarnitine and only found Lcarnitine. Can someone help me find PLCAR as an actual supplement.
Strong 5 year bump, but I believe SNS has an ALCAR supplement. The only supp that I know that has PLCAR is DCP 2.0

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks will look at both products. I am looking to stack with sns x-gel hence my search.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are still some SNS PLCAR bottles out there.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't know that, where?
Looks like TF Supplements still has some,

http://www.tfsupplements.com/store/product/2348/plcar-500.html

SNS discontinued PLCAR based on low sales. It's really too bad. I really love the stuff. Long term for fat loss it's great. Also it seemed to give me a physical type of energy not noticed from any other supplement. It's subtle but its there and you definitely notice a difference after you stop when you've been taking it a while. Really wish they would bring the stuff back.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Nutraplanet sell their own brand, 100g tubs of PLCAR

test112

Awards
  • Established
GPLC seems easier to find than PLCAR. Any functional difference between the two? Does the glycine component make any difference other than providing glycine, i.e. PLCAR + glycine?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GPLC seems easier to find than PLCAR. Any functional difference between the two? Does the glycine component make any difference other than providing glycine, i.e. PLCAR + glycine?

I've tried both. The Glycine version just isn't the same. It puts me straight to sleep. I'd never use it again.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
If fat loss is your goal, yet you want to reap the benefits of added mental boost and non-stim energy then ALC (Acetyl-L-Carnitine) is the right approach IMO.
There are studies that point to the addition of CLA (Cunjugated Linoeic Acid) being the right approach. The two work synergisticly.

Do your research and then research some more and make an educated choice. ;)

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can just buy glycine and combine it with PLCAR to make GPLC.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
How would you dose the Glycine say if i was dosing 1g-1.5g PLCAR twice a day?

test112

Awards
  • Established
That's kinda the opposite of what I was asking - I wouldn't buy it as a source of glycine, more it was whether the glycine component changed the PLCAR component's effects.

test112

Awards
  • Established
I've tried both. The Glycine version just isn't the same. It puts me straight to sleep. I'd never use it again.
And that's the thing - I like glycine specifically as a sleep aid. Wouldn't TMG theoretically have the same issues?

But I've used GPLC and haven't found it to be sedating. I was more wondering if the PLCAR- like benefits are identical despite the glycine.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How would you dose the Glycine say if i was dosing 1g-1.5g PLCAR twice a day?
I wouldn't bother doing this, PLCAR is good enough.

That's kinda the opposite of what I was asking - I wouldn't buy it as a source of glycine, more it was whether the glycine component changed the PLCAR component's effects.
Yes it would.

And that's the thing - I like glycine specifically as a sleep aid. Wouldn't TMG theoretically have the same issues?

But I've used GPLC and haven't found it to be sedating. I was more wondering if the PLCAR- like benefits are identical despite the glycine.
IMO GPLC is not worth the expense, much better products out there. Also interesting to note that GPLC has a u-curve that's small, so some of the common doses I see people using are actually bad for performance.

test112

Awards
  • Established
This study? Long-term glycine propionyl-l-carnitin... [J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

I love it when the titles have "paradoxical" in them.

That would indeed be pretty funny if guys were blowing out cash on 4.5g doses of GPLC and actually worsening their performance versus control, especially if they're going right past a 1.5g beneficial dose.
Wasn't that supposed to be due to the pump from the GPLC hindering knee extension during the cycle erg test?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember taking a pre-workout with the glycine version and just wanting to go to sleep. PLCAR on the other hand is awesome stuff, and works well on an empty stomach pre-workout.

test112

Awards
  • Established
I remember taking a pre-workout with the glycine version and just wanting to go to sleep. PLCAR on the other hand is awesome stuff, and works well on an empty stomach pre-workout.
I'd love to try it but it's not very easy to find! Only a few places seem to stock it. Reckon you guys could get nutra to sell it again? My options are limited as I'm not in the states.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I'd love to try it but it's not very easy to find! Only a few places seem to stock it. Reckon you guys could get nutra to sell it again? My options are limited as I'm not in the states.
Unfortunately PLCAR is as underrated as they come and so it is doubtful it will make a come back in our line.

test112

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately PLCAR is as underrated as they come and so it is doubtful it will make a come back in our line.
Didn't realise you guys had discontinued it! Nutra's always out as well.

In that case, apart from residual SNS stock, PLCAR is currently all but unavailable to consumers at a retail level.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally "feel" alcar more. I get a nice cognitive boost when I take it, and i definitely notice it when its not in my stack. I typically take around 2g per day, usually with my carb meal. Studies show intramuscular carnitine concentrations wont increase (with supplementation) without the presence of insulin, so something to keep in mind.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally "feel" alcar more. I get a nice cognitive boost when I take it, and i definitely notice it when its not in my stack. I typically take around 2g per day, usually with my carb meal. Studies show intramuscular carnitine concentrations wont increase (with supplementation) without the presence of insulin, so something to keep in mind.
What about dosing with Bcaa's since leucine itself elicits an insulin response?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about dosing with Bcaa's since leucine itself elicits an insulin response?
shiiiiitt, Hows it going man!?

I'm honestly not sure, I dont think they elicit "enough" of an insulin response to be honest. How many times have you been fasted, drank aminos with a high leucine content and went hypoglycemic? If it was causing a strong response everyone would need to have glucose with their BCAAs to prevent themselves from passing out.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
shiiiiitt, Hows it going man!?

I'm honestly not sure, I dont think they elicit "enough" of an insulin response to be honest. How many times have you been fasted, drank aminos with a high leucine content and went hypoglycemic? If it was causing a strong response everyone would need to have glucose with their BCAAs to prevent themselves from passing out.
Pretty great bro, how did the move go?

IIRC I read that leucine itself is very insulinogenic, however that the results are very short lived. I didn't know that if, lets say, a bolus containing 15g of a BCAA/EAA (like amino IV) with a gram of ALCAR during "fasted training" would saturate carnatine levels comparable to consuming with carbohydrates.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty great bro, how did the move go? IIRC I read that leucine itself is very insulinogenic, however that the results are very short lived. I didn't know that if, lets say, a bolus containing 15g of a BCAA/EAA (like amino IV) with a gram of ALCAR during "fasted training" would saturate carnatine levels comparable to consuming with carbohydrates.
Yeah it huge but very short lived. That's a good question. During prep I added LCLT to my intra that was mostly EAA with a high leucine content, I got pretty ripped soooo yeah? Lol can't hurt?

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
hey man this will definitely Get you Ripped with the right Nutriton. Some sites have Daily Deals that you may have some luck with right now.
Hey thanks man, but it seems this thing is hard to find now. I did find this Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine Hcl , not sure if it is the same thing.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure if anyone noticed the clearance section on TF supps..but they clearing out some SNS PLCAR for like $10/bottle...along with a bunch of other items...worth checking out.
I live in the clearance aisle :)

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
GPLC didn't make me sleepy in the least (dosed pre-workout; Coop warned of possible fatigue if dosed too high, and let me know that 2g is as high as I should go, despite the label claim of 4.5). It did provide the single best endurance boost I have ever experienced from a supplement. I have PLCAR that I haven't tried yet, and I expect it to be as good or better, but my GPLC was dirt cheap and is now expired so I am using that first.

I recommend everyone who hasn't tried PLCAR (or GPLC if it is cheaper or you can't find regular PLCAR) to give it a shot. 2g per day. It won't break the bank and everyone I know who tried it, loves it! I noticed it mainly with cardio and BJJ tho; not sure if it did much to my lifts.