Greater intake of calcium reduces colorectal cancer risk in men - AnabolicMinds.com

Greater intake of calcium reduces colorectal cancer risk in men

1. Elite Member

Post Greater intake of calcium reduces colorectal cancer risk in men

Greater intake of calcium reduces colorectal cancer risk in men

The March, 2006 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published the findings of S. C. Larsson of the Karolinska Instutet in Stockholm, Sweden and colleagues that men whose diets provide higher amounts of calcium and dairy foods have a lower risk of colorectal cancer.

The researchers enrolled 45,306 men with no history of cancer who were between the ages of 45 and 79 in 1997, and followed them for an average of 6.7 years. Food frequency questionnaires completed by the participants at the beginning of the study were analyzed for calcium and dairy product intake. During the follow-up period there were 276 cases of colon cancer and 173 cases of rectal cancer diagnosed.

Men whose calcium intake was in the top one-fourth of participants had a 32 percent lower risk of developing colorectal cancer than those whose intake was in the bottom fourth. The reduction in risk did not vary significantly with the site of the cancer. For dairy foods, consuming seven or more servings per day reduced the risk to 54 percent below that of men whose intake was less than two servings per day. Dairy foods appeared to have the greatest protective effect on the proximal colon. Milk emerged as the dairy food most strongly associated with a reduced risk of colorectal cancer, possibly because it is the most important source of dietary calcium intake in Sweden. Additionally, milk provides conjugated linoleic acid, sphingolipids and lactoferrin, all of which have been demonstrated to help prevent colorectal cancer in animals. The authors write. "Future studies should examine the relation of other components of dairy foods, such as conjugated linoleic acid, sphingolipids, and milk proteins, with the risk of colorectal cancer."

2. Registered User

I wonder if supplementing with CAL is just as effective as drinking milk in prevention?
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  3. Elite Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by motiv8er
    I wonder if supplementing with CAL is just as effective as drinking milk in prevention?
    Sigh, I know. That's the problem with these studies. 10 years from now we're going to discover that it's some obscure peptide in the milk that has the positive effect, not the calcium.

Another example of why whole foods are better than sups.....but I sure love my sups....makes me feel like I'm taking charge of my own health.

On a humorous but related note: I rushed out of the house this morning and forgot my coffee. My wife called on the cellphone and asked "if it was safe" for her to drink the coffee that I had forgotten (in other words, did it have some "weird" supplement in it).
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

There's alot more to milk than calcium.

Here's an example

Lactoferrin: The Amazing Milk Protein
  5. New Member

screw milk imo.dont believe it is supposed to be ingested by human beings.at least alot of them

regardless...my girl and i both take 1200mg cal citrate every morning.definately a must have supp along with magnesium as i have yet to find any otherwise solid multivit/min with more than a smidgen of either.and diet alone usually doesnt cut it these days as with alot of other things.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Testosterone therapy may boost serious risks in men
    By 996ttelise in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM
  2. effects of very low prolactin (almost nil) in men?
    By Gutterpump in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 04:54 AM
  4. Obesity and weight gain increase cancer risk in men
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 01:32 AM
  5. Finasteride Reduces Prostate Cancer Risk
    By Dr of Golf in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2