Affects of Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen on Muscle Growth

jeepthang

Awards
Found the following study which indicates that regular over the counter doses of both Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen will inhibit muscle growth. By reading the study, it does not directly mention Acetylsalicylic Acid, but does mention a similar study done 20 years ago with Aspirin that did produce similar results.

Thoughts?

--------
Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis.

Trappe TA, White F, Lambert CP, Cesar D, Hellerstein M, Evans WJ.

Donald W. Reynolds Center on Aging, Department of Geriatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and the Central Arkansas Veterans HealthCare System, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA. [email protected]

We examined the effect of two commonly consumed over-the-counter analgesics, ibuprofen and acetaminophen, on muscle protein synthesis and soreness after high-intensity eccentric resistance exercise. Twenty-four males (25 +/- 3 yr, 180 +/- 6 cm, 81 +/- 6 kg, and 17 +/- 8% body fat) were assigned to one of three groups that received either the maximal over-the-counter dose of ibuprofen (IBU; 1,200 mg/day), acetaminophen (ACET; 4,000 mg/day), or a placebo (PLA) after 10-14 sets of 10 eccentric repetitions at 120% of concentric one-repetition maximum with the knee extensors. Postexercise (24 h) skeletal muscle fractional synthesis rate (FSR) was increased 76 +/- 19% (P < 0.05) in PLA (0.058 +/- 0.012%/h) and was unchanged (P > 0.05) in IBU (35 +/- 21%; 0.021 +/- 0.014%/h) and ACET (22 +/- 23%; 0.010 +/- 0.019%/h). Neither drug had any influence on whole body protein breakdown, as measured by rate of phenylalanine appearance, on serum creatine kinase, or on rating of perceived muscle soreness compared with PLA. These results suggest that over-the-counter doses of both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the protein synthesis response in skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise. Thus these two analgesics may work through a common mechanism to influence protein metabolism in skeletal muscle.
--------

FULL TEXT:
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/3/E551

jlynch

Awards
damn i hope its not too bad, i usually take a boatload of ibuprofen when ever i am feeling crappy. hell, during football in college i was taking like 12 a day during camp!! thats a good article bro, i havent really seen too much about the effects that OTC drugs have in strength training.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
People have posted about this for years...not sure where you guys have been but it is true. Can't remember where I read it but it mentioned that the dose was pretty high up there for a significant negative effect. Used to take so many painkillers myself all through football, having multiple injuries on both knees. Now I absolutely refuse to use anything for pain.

jeepthang

Awards
People have posted about this for years...not sure where you guys have been but it is true.
Not everyone has been bodybuilding - especially not researching - for years. I can guarantee you many people did not know this, so why the hostility?

Can't remember where I read it but it mentioned that the dose was pretty high up there for a significant negative effect.
The article states significant impairement at regular, not high, doses. See, even you just learned something.

Sam Arias

Awards
This means we have to examine the role of ECA stacks in our training. If aspirin inhibits protein synthesis, would it be wiser to use ephedra and caffeine without the aspirin?

jeepthang

Awards
This means we have to examine the role of ECA stacks in our training. If aspirin inhibits protein synthesis, would it be wiser to use ephedra and caffeine without the aspirin?
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking about. The whole point of Aspirin in the ECA stack is to lengthen the time that ephedrine is in your system. I'm very much starting to doubt whether or not it is worth it.

Anyone have any further information on this?

Jedi Master

Banned
Awards
Asprin is totally different than Ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Word.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
True, but asprin affects protein synthesis all the same. As do all NSAIDS. Sorry if I came off hostile, did not mean it in the least. I was just trying to say that certain people have been saying this type of thing for awhile now. I think it was Nandi or someone else (that was respectable) that tried showing that it didn't have significant effects until it got in the higher end ranges (800mg and above I believe). Don't hold me to these numbers however, it was a while ago. Also, like you mentioned, that is "moderate" levels for many of us (I used to use 1200mg and not even notice anything), but it was more meant to show that using ibu or tylenol for something like a headache or occasional pain was not a big deal. Personally, I haven't used the A in the EC stack in a while. I make my own and prefer ECY. I would rather not have the ephedrine stay in my system for long, if I need more, I take small often dosing patterns.

quasar

Awards
hell, during football in college i was taking like 12 a day during camp!!
I second that! Football camp was a b*tch, I took way too many aspirin just to make it to practice the next day!

And I wouldn't say aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen are "completely" different as they all inhibit the enzyme for prostaglandin synthesis (thereby reducing inflammation), but I can't remember which ones bind reversibly and which are irreversible...

I'd definitely drop the aspirin in the ECA stack b/c I've read it's just as effective to take less pills more often and leave out the aspirin (but what do I know, I've still got some lipokinetix & 2 bottles of hollywood cuts around) ;)

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
You would have to MAX dosages right after working out to have any noticable effects on your protein synth.

D D D

Awards
You would have to MAX dosages right after working out to have any noticable effects on your protein synth.
I don't beleive that ibuprofen effects protein synthesis negatively. I take 400-600mg post-workout almost every day. They're the bomb for headaches as well (which I get quite often). My proof you ask??? 21 inch guns with veins that will make your fucking eyes pop out of your head hanging from my shoulders. Hey, I'm 6'0" and weigh 242 lbs with a 6-7% bodyfat already. Just imagine how fucking big I'd be if I didn't take all that ibuprofen. I can't speak for aspirin since I don't take it, but don't you think manufacturers would need to put warning labels on bottles to keep the aspirin away from your children since it is going to stunt their growth??? Don't buy into one 20 year old study which has never been followed up on. JMO.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by DDD

I don't beleive that ibuprofen effects protein synthesis negatively. I take 400-600mg post-workout almost every day. They're the bomb for headaches as well (which I get quite often). My proof you ask??? 21 inch guns with veins that will make your fucking eyes pop out of your head hanging from my shoulders. Hey, I'm 6'0" and weigh 242 lbs with a 6-7% bodyfat already. Just imagine how fucking big I'd be if I didn't take all that ibuprofen. I can't speak for aspirin since I don't take it, but don't you think manufacturers would need to put warning labels on bottles to keep the aspirin away from your children since it is going to stunt their growth??? Don't buy into one 20 year old study which has never been followed up on. JMO.
You do understand that I was saying that it was bogus??

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by DDD

My proof you ask??? 21 inch guns with veins that will make your fucking eyes pop out of your head hanging from my shoulders. Hey, I'm 6'0" and weigh 242 lbs with a 6-7% bodyfat already. Just imagine how fucking big I'd be if I didn't take all that ibuprofen. I
BTW, on a side note, thats some pretty amazing claims you've made about yourself. Post up some pics. I would love to see a 242 pound guy at 6%.

D D D

Awards

BTW, on a side note, thats some pretty amazing claims you've made about yourself. Post up some pics. I would love to see a 242 pound guy at 6%.
They're not just claims. I may post some pictures in the future. I have somewhat more experience than most that can be attributed to my physique. I've been at it since I was 19 and I'm about to turn 37 in June. I've never taken AAS other than 1-test and PH's, but have tried just about everything else that's come along. I was eating freeze dried bulls testicles while most of you were still on pablum. It's all about dedication, persistence and patience.