Creatine and Protein

Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw

Awards
Just a quick question.
I'm trying to gain strength and size and I just want to know if i'm on the right track.

My schedule is kind of crazy right now but I try to workout at least 3 times per week.
I take Creatine (xpand) 45 mins before my workout, and then protein (optium gold) before I go to bed.
Is this ok?
Do I need to take the protein directly after I workout, does it matter?
Should I be taking both even on non workout days?

Also I bought some dextrose becuase a buddy of mine told me it was good to mix that with the protein, does that sound right?
Should I be doing that with the creatine as well? I've read on here it's good to take creatine with fruit juices, grape mainly, right?

Forgive me if these are common questions but I did look before I posted and couldn't really find a definitive answer.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
About the protein and this is most important, EAT IT EVERYDAY! Your recover day nutrition very importand to how you build muscle. I have 60 grams for breakfast, and try to get at least 40 grams in every meal. The more you eat the better, to a reasonable point. Also after you work out consume some complex carbs with your protein. Oatmeal is great, about 1 cup should do. Eat at least 1 gram of protein per day, for every pound you weigh. If you weigh 200 pounds eat 200 grams protein.

I dont know much about dextrose.

If you are going to take creatine, post workout it most important. I take it before and after workout. Im not sure of the purpose of taking it with juices, but I mix mine with OJ cause its CEE and tastes like crap with water. I assume you are taking creatine monohydrate which is tasteless.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
great advice norris, I'm in the same boat with the same questions and you answered more questions then I knew I had.

I'm going to try to find some complex carbs to add with my afterworkout shake.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Just a quick question.
I'm trying to gain strength and size and I just want to know if i'm on the right track.

My schedule is kind of crazy right now but I try to workout at least 3 times per week.
I take Creatine (xpand) 45 mins before my workout, and then protein (optium gold) before I go to bed.
Is this ok?
Do I need to take the protein directly after I workout, does it matter?
Should I be taking both even on non workout days?

Also I bought some dextrose becuase a buddy of mine told me it was good to mix that with the protein, does that sound right?
Should I be doing that with the creatine as well? I've read on here it's good to take creatine with fruit juices, grape mainly, right?

Forgive me if these are common questions but I did look before I posted and couldn't really find a definitive answer.
There are a lot of articles from sports nutritionists all over the web. Do a search and get ready to read a lot. You will find that there is also a lot of conflicting advice.

Most folks recommend creatine before/during/after the workout, with a protein / carb drink for recovery right after.

There are some studies that show that sipping a protein/carb drink is helpful during excercize, but it is not a requirement. PWO nutrition is critical in my opinion, and it has made all of the difference for me.

Regarding creatine absorption, it depends on the kind that you buy. Most preps come with something in the mix to help you absorb it, like sugars or alpha lipoic acid. If you buy simple monohydrate (the cheapest) then you should mix it with some sugars and maybe supplement with R-ALA. I just bought "sizeon" which a lot of people are talking about - it is pretty expensive, though.

Read - read - read!

Have Fun,
R