Baking soda "trick" for endurance?

PIOTREK

PIOTREK

Awards
I recently read an article that suggested consuming 30 grams of baking soda with 2 cups of water, 30 mins prior to w/o. The baking soda is supposed to retard the burning sensation within the muscle thus allowing for greater endurance. Has anyone tried this?

Superior1

Awards
Good luck with the stomach irritation at that dose. You can also try Taurine.

PIOTREK

PIOTREK

Awards
lol, i know this sounds too weird. Just getting 30 grams down your throat would be a challenge! I'll try it in a few days and I'll post my experience. Hopefully I won't vomit.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LOL...good luck with that.

I'll sell you a box of Arm-n-Hammer Explode for $25

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I recently read an article that suggested consuming 30 grams of baking soda with 2 cups of water, 30 mins prior to w/o. The baking soda is supposed to retard the burning sensation within the muscle thus allowing for greater endurance. Has anyone tried this?
I tried this about...wow, 12 years ago at least. I can tell you that it works. I don't remember the actual amount of baking soda I used, but I can tell you to try whatever you can to mask the taste - Gatoraide, Kool-Aid, etc. Make no mistake - it did not taste good. Tolerable, but not good. (Reminds me of when I was naive and used baking soda instead of baking powder in my pancakes...ick).

Of course those were the days when I was putting raw eggs, peanut butter and blackstrap molassas in my shakes to bulk. I was also eating liver and tuna straight out of the can. I'm not so keen on sacrificing taste as much as I used to, LoL.

But yeah, if I remember correctly, it was supposed to act as a lactic acid buffer.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You can also try taking an epsom salt and baking soda bath before and after the event. Basically, you are trying to alkalize your system, which according to some alternative med people is a far healthier state than the usual slightly acidic state we are normally in. I think there is something to it, but take it with a grain of salt.

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
yeah ive heard the arm n hammer ethyl ester works much better though :rofl:

actually i do remember reading something on this about ten years back in bill phillips old magazine (when it was good)

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Did you get that information from an article over at t-nation. I read about this recently and I can't remember where at.

Schwaugher

Awards
I this related to the sodium bicarbinate they give to horses to prevent lactic acid build up in the muscles?

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The body has a very sophisticated buffering system, and I would be very suprised if such a crude method could produce results. I have pounded a whole bag of sour patch kids before (very acidic), and I doubt my blood PH varied a bit. Things like Citruline Malate that work in much more of a tertiary manner are far more likely to do something, albeit less radical and astonishing than we would like.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
J Appl Physiol. 2005 Nov;99(5):1668-75. Epub 2005 Jul 7.Related Articles, Links
[SIZE=+1]NaHCO3-induced alkalosis reduces the phosphocreatine slow component during heavy-intensity forearm exercise.[/SIZE]

Forbes SC, Raymer GH, Kowalchuk JM, Marsh GD.

School of Kinesiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A-3K7.

During heavy-intensity exercise, the mechanisms responsible for the continued slow decline in phosphocreatine concentration ([PCr]) (PCr slow component) have not been established. In this study, we tested the hypothesis that a reduced intracellular acidosis would result in a greater oxidative flux and, consequently, a reduced magnitude of the PCr slow component. Subjects (n = 10) performed isotonic wrist flexion in a control trial and in an induced alkalosis (Alk) trial (0.3g/kg oral dose of NaHCO3, 90 min before testing). Wrist flexion, at a contraction rate of 0.5 Hz, was performed for 9 min at moderate- (75% of onset of acidosis; intracellular pH threshold) and heavy-intensity (125% intracellular pH threshold) exercise. 31P-magnetic resonance spectroscopy was used to measure intracellular [H+], [PCr], [Pi], and [ATP]. The initial recovery data were used to estimate the rate of ATP synthesis and oxidative flux at the end of heavy-intensity exercise. In repeated trials, venous blood sampling was used to measure plasma [H+], [HCO3-], and [Lac-]. Throughout rest and exercise, plasma [H+] was lower (P < 0.05) and [HCO3-] was elevated (P < 0.05) in Alk compared with control. During the final 3 min of heavy-intensity exercise, Alk caused a lower (P < 0.05) intracellular [H+] [246 (SD 117) vs. 291 nmol/l (SD 129)], a greater (P < 0.05) [PCr] [12.7 (SD 7.0) vs. 9.9 mmol/l (SD 6.0)], and a reduced accumulation of [ADP] [0.065 (SD 0.031) vs. 0.098 mmol/l (SD 0.059)]. Oxidative flux was similar (P > 0.05) in the conditions at the end of heavy-intensity exercise. In conclusion, our results are consistent with a reduced intracellular acidosis, causing a decrease in the magnitude of the PCr slow component. The decreased PCr slow component in Alk did not appear to be due to an elevated oxidative flux.

Publication Types:
PMID: 16002768 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

p.s. That puts the dosage around said 30 grams...I'll resist the temptation to delete my previous post.

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
Take LOT OF ANTI-ACID OTC DRUGS, AND YOU WILL GET SAME THING.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I this related to the sodium bicarbinate they give to horses to prevent lactic acid build up in the muscles?
Baking Soda IS Sodium Bicarbonate. I've heard about this before too so I looked it up online. An article in runners world suggested that this "trick" could work for short events such as sprints...it also said that more than 20 grams will likely cause you to **** yourself. I wouldn't test this theory out on squat day.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Man i tried this in 1998, I will never forget, how EFFING bloated I was!!! I could not even lift, because my stomach was in so much pain. Just leave this trick alone for the sake of your gut.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Try mixing it with CEE for more of a flavor.:hammer:

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
30 grams of baking soda with 2 cups of vinegar should provide some interesting results. As mentioned you're better off supplementing with citrulline malate, or preferably l-carnosine or it's precursors to reduce lactic acid build-up.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read L-Carnosine is supposed to be the stuff for the job. Citrulline Malate works real well. 30 grams of baking soda and vinegar, yea just put the baking soda in your mouth and down the vinegar real fast, virtually no taste at all.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer pop rocks and soda when I'm looking for a good bloat!

And I cringe at seeing the vinegar and baking soda suggestions b/c you know somebody is going to half ass read that and try it. Kind of funny to picture though.

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is a very old trick but does work. track guys used to use it often, and a buddy of mine is trying it out right now. it can give you explosive crap that is hard to control though. be careful with that... other than that, it does work.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I prefer pop rocks and soda when I'm looking for a good bloat!

And I cringe at seeing the vinegar and baking soda suggestions b/c you know somebody is going to half ass read that and try it. Kind of funny to picture though.
Instead of making doodie, you'd be making a volcano in your pants.:icon_lol:

IronMarc

Awards
If you can down Clout, you can handle baking soda. One suggestion though, try taking it with Vinegar and not water, you'll get insane pumps! Oh and if you want some flavour, use the baking soday in the back of your fridge. It will be saturated with tastes and smells from years of fresh food from your fridge. Mmmm Left over Roast Baking-Sodexplode.

PIOTREK

PIOTREK

Awards
If you can down Clout, you can handle baking soda. One suggestion though, try taking it with Vinegar and not water, you'll get insane pumps! Oh and if you want some flavour, use the baking soday in the back of your fridge. It will be saturated with tastes and smells from years of fresh food from your fridge. Mmmm Left over Roast Baking-Sodexplode.
Is that what helped you get so buff?

IronMarc

Awards
no, thats hard work.

is that sarcasm? Hey I've only been training for about a year, not even yet. I'm 18, haven't done any hormones and used to be a fat piece of sh*t, Piotrek probably knows the feeling. If it's not sarcasm...thanks for the compliment :icon_lol:

400runner

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hard work works better than any supplement ever will, with the exception of gear, and others that are few a far between.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
He has a pretty dang good foundation for 18. At that age I weighed 117 pounds at 5'10". lol

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He has a pretty dang good foundation for 18. At that age I weighed 117 pounds at 5'10". lol
Agreed. He is bigger than myself and a year younger. One thing I don't do is insult someones progress.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
is that sarcasm? Hey I've only been training for about a year, not even yet. I'm 18, haven't done any hormones and used to be a fat piece of sh*t, Piotrek probably knows the feeling. If it's not sarcasm...thanks for the compliment :icon_lol:
...good reply...I hate having to read through bros mouthing off to eachother...I'm not saying that the comment was sarcastic, but it could have been taken that way...

IronMarc

Awards
...good reply...I hate having to read through bros mouthing off to eachother...I'm not saying that the comment was sarcastic, but it could have been taken that way...
sorry, I've been spending too much time on the getbig forums with all the trolls....so I was a bit on edge. I appreciate everyone at this forum though, alot of educated people and usually have great posts. Thanks everyone.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I was gonna start a new thread but I think this one is appropriate enough.

I would like to boost my bicarbonate electrolyte levels wich are usually on the low end, and were low out of range when taking 1-1.5 grams of vitamin C a day.

I have an antacid called eno, it contains:
Per 5g
Sodium Bicarbonate 2.29g
Citric Acid anhydrous 2.16g
Sodium Carbonate 0.5g

I would imagine if your gonna be downing baking soda that would probly be better then downing it alone. But I was wondering if there is anything better to add apart from calcium and magnesium?

Evian bottled water seems to have the highest Bicarbonate value(is this stuff even bioavailable?) especially in regards to its total mineral content, but was wondering if anyone else knows of anything else to take?

And OTC antacids such as gaviscon and especially mylanta arnt good to take long term.