louana brand coconut oil @ walmart

S

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
I recently purchased some louana brand coconut oil at walmart. The oil is a solid so i do not believe it is hydrogenated but the container does not specify virgin therefor i am assuming it is not virgin and it doesnt have a coconut flavor so I believe it is refined. Will this oil have the health benefits desired in a coconut oil or do I need to find a virgin coconut oil? btw it was only $2.50 FOR 32 OZ.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
coconut oil has the highest levels of saturated fats of any oil , hence being a solid at room temperature. I would stay away.
cc

S

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
i thought it was considered a healthy oil despite being saturated?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i thought it was considered a healthy oil despite being saturated?
Not really... but can we utilized in ways that can be beneficial... such as PCT, it is a great time to throw that in there.

Adams

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
actually it can be used anytime. it also sppeds of the thyroid , making it effective for fatloss.

louana is not the best brand but it works. spectum brand is organic and i give spectum's five stars.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Coconut milk/oil is a great source of MCT's and should be a staple for those on keto IMHO. Its saturated fats are in the form of MCT's.

A New Look at Coconut Oil

Sundram et al (1994) fed whole foods diets to healthy normo-cholesterolemic males, where approximately 30% of energy was fat. Lauric acid (C12:0) and myristic acid (C14:0) from coconut oil supplied approximately 5% of energy. Relative to the baseline measurements of the subjects prior to the experimental diet, this lauric and myristic acid-rich diet showed an increase in total serum cholesterol from 166.7 to 170.0 mg/dl (+1.9%), a decrease in low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) from 105.2 to 104.4 mg/dl (-0.1%), an increase in high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) from 42.9 to 45.6 mg/dl (+6.3%). There was a 2.4% decrease in the LDL-C/HDL-C ratio from 2.45 to 2.39. These findings indicate a favorable alteration in serum lipoprotein balance was achieved when coconut oil was included in a whole food diet at 5% of energy.

Tholstrup et al (1994) report similar results with whole foods diets high in lauric and myristic acids from palm kernel oil. The HDL cholesterol levels increased significantly from baseline values (37.5 to 46.0 mg/dl, P<0.01) and the LDL-C/HDL-C ratios decreased from 3.08 to 2.69. The increase in total cholesterol was from 154.7 (baseline) to 170.9 mg/dl on the experimental diet.

Ng et al (1991) fed 75% of the fat ration as coconut oil (24% of energy) to 83 adult normocholesterolemics (61 males and 22 females). Relative to baseline values, the highest values on the experimental diet for total cholesterol was increased 17% (169.6 to 198.4 mg/dl), HDL cholesterol was increased 21.4% (44.3 to 53.8 mg/dl), and the LDL-C/HDL-C ratio was decreased 3.6% (2.51 to 2.42).

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im on low carb, i take it.

ketosis is 50 carbs or below daily, correct?

D

deech

Board Supporter
Awards
im on low carb, i take it.

ketosis is 50 carbs or below daily, correct?
I believe you can achieve ketosis with even a little higher carbs, but use ketostix to be sure. I suspect everyone is a little different this way.