Damn I underestimated Protein!!

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.5%

Damn I underestimated Protein!!

No flaming please, I am new. I have been lifting for a couple of years now and considered myself in fairly good shape for a non competitor. Thanks to this site I have begun paying more and more attention to my diet. I realized that I wasn't getting nearly enough protein for any significant growth. In only a week of making sure I get at least 200+ grams of protein per day (Weight=212) it seems like someone inflated me. I haven't gained any significant weight but it just seems like I am fuller and more defined. Is it really possible that muscles were starving for nutrients that much in order to expand?? Could I see change in just a week or is it the power of hope???

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

not power of hope it the power of Knowledge and Nutrition !!! keep it up bro...
  3. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.03%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Yeah word...Proper nutrition/training brings crazy results!..Take Bobo's clients for example, look at their befores/afters..I bet I could tell you they did a three week SD cycle in that time and you would believe me...Food is the best anabolic ever, works for everyone..
    •   

4. King Kong
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%

Yeah, my roomate last summer used protein for the first time and it took him to a whole new level. He's basically a natural freak, but just adding a little whey to his diet did wonders.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21%

I have been working out since 1980. All my best gains in strength and weight were directly proportional to increasing my quality of protein.

Find a whole protein shake that tastes good and it will be easier to chug after a workout or anytime you can't eat whole food. The rest of the time find a favorite protein food.(mine is chicken breast grilled with butter..oh the decadence)
    Hormones and specific aminos have their place, but they are not the key to weight and strength. First you need protein, then you can have protein synthesis!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.62%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

The important thing is that you learned. Gobble up the chicken & eggs
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.17%
    Achievements Posting Pro

MMM true protein with BSL flavors = bliss.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.22%

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    The important thing is that you learned. Gobble up the chicken & eggs
    I don't ****ing believe this. My diet is good, getting to be in good order, and I forgot about eggs. More protein I at least. I'm hardboiling like a freak from now on. I guess when I thought of eggs I always thought of how I like my eggs, fried in a pound of grease and put on a hungry man hero with bacon, ham, sausage, home fries, onions nd ketchup. Not healthy by any means, but sooooooo good.

How the hell did I forget about eggs?
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.5%

Thanks everyone, I knew that protein was important but I guess I didn't realize how important. Also, unless you pay attention you really don't realize that regular eating can leave you way short of your needs, protein and other.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.17%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DollarB22
    Thanks everyone, I knew that protein was important but I guess I didn't realize how important. Also, unless you pay attention you really don't realize that regular eating can leave you way short of your needs, protein and other.
    I had a similar experience when I ate more real food instead of relying on powders to make up my daily quota of protein.
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.06%

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG
    I had a similar experience when I ate more real food instead of relying on powders to make up my daily quota of protein.
    I second that - after trying protein shakes at all kinds of doses/combinations/different times of the day... blabla, I'm still not positive about the significance of protein powders aside from post workout (where I do notice a big difference in recovery if I skip my PW shake).

I did notice a big difference when replacing the shakes with 'real food'. Now if I do take shakes I try to make the meal look as 'real' as possible (i.e. in combination with whole grain carbs + fats).
    Same btw for protein bars - never noticed much of a difference between a protein bar and a snickers bar... except for the price. Maybe if I eat enough of them I'll eventually notice a difference...
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%

Apowerz, nice avatar...I think I saw you with some of your friends at a bench press competition at the DS booth...if it was you, I have a great memory lol.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.9%

You would be right...I was there with my wife and some other AM'ers... SO needless to say I will be at the Olympia, will I see you there???
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.28%

Quote Originally Posted by Apowerz6
    You would be right...I was there with my wife and some other AM'ers... SO needless to say I will be at the Olympia, will I see you there???
    No, I doubt I could make it to the Olympia....besides, I heard the Arnold Classic is a much better expo anyway. But would be cool to go see one, some day.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.68%

Dollar,

Don't forget H20 1-2 Gal per day hydrates and flushes everything, I was always walking around dehydrated , as well as lack of protein, I just started back 2 weeks ago and will be 46 in July want to be in the best shape of my life by Bday 7-16.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What flavor of protein shake is your favorite?
    By Chemo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM
  2. In Depth Protein Breakdown
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 10:53 PM
  3. Protein Squares by request
    By wardog in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-27-2003, 02:27 PM
  4. Protein supplement