yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Companies Receive Warning From FDA
Concerns Surround Dietary Supplements

By Amy Shipley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 17, 2006; E05

Four companies distributing steroids in over-the-counter dietary supplements face possible criminal charges and regulatory action if they do not take steps to correct the violations by late next week, the Food and Drug Administration said in letters sent to the companies last Thursday.

The warning letters represented the FDA's first public action in its investigation into steroids in dietary supplements, which was prompted by a story in The Washington Post last October that uncovered five designer steroids in five readily available dietary supplements marketed by four companies. A later story revealed another such steroid in a different product by a fifth company.

The fact that the FDA letters mentioned only two of the steroids and one of the five companies raises the possibility of more letters or further action, but an agency spokesman said Wednesday it was the FDA's policy not to comment on pending investigations. Most of the companies cited in The Post piece announced around the time the story ran that they were discontinuing steroid products.

The letters come at a time of heightened scrutiny on the dietary supplement industry and renewed interest in steroids in sports with the recent publication of a book that alleges that San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds used of steroids and other drugs.

Also last week, Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) chaired a full hearing of the Government Reform Committee on the regulation of dietary supplements that was spurred in part by The Post story as well as the committee's yearlong investigation into steroids in Major League Baseball and professional sports.

Meanwhile, in late February, a prominent consultant and writer in the dietary supplement industry, Bruce Kneller, was arrested in Canton, Mass., and charged with possession and intent to distribute anabolic steroids. Kneller, a consultant to Gaspari Nutrition, one of the companies mentioned in The Post's investigation, pleaded not guilty.

And Patrick Arnold, whom federal investigators allege made the steroids at the center of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) scandal that ensnared Bonds and dozens of other well-known athletes, operates the Illinois-based dietary supplement company Proviant Technologies.

The FDA letters charged two companies -- Anabolic Resources of Gilbert, Ariz., and Supplements To Go of Cincinnati -- with distributing Anabolic Xtreme's Superdrol. Legal Gear of Brighton, Mich., and Affordable Supplements of Wichita, Kan., were charged with distributing Legal Gear's Methyl 1-P.

Don Catlin of the UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory analyzed Superdrol, Methyl 1-P and four other products for The Post last summer and declared that all contained anabolic steroids. The Post reimbursed Catlin for the cost of the testing.

Catlin later turned over information about the substances to the FDA at the agency's request.

The FDA letters cast doubt on the legitimacy of at least some claims by companies that they were pulling their steroid products from the market. In its letter to Anabolic Resources, the FDA noted that the company's Web site stated that Superdrol was "discontinued" even while it remained commercially available.

Three sources with ties to the industry said some dietary supplements containing steroids continued to circulate before last week's letters went out -- some openly -- but that many companies abandoned the production and distribution of such products last fall to avoid possible criminal sanction.

One company official also described the FDA warning letters as a relative slap on the wrist given the major action -- such as federal indictments -- some feared would result from the agency's investigation.

The letters, authored by Joseph R. Baca, compliance director at the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, charged the four companies with distributing drugs rather than dietary supplements and stated that they had 15 days in which to notify the FDA of specific corrective action taken.

The FDA, which noted that anabolic steroids may cause some long-term adverse health effects, in 2004 sent warning letters to 23 manufacturers and distributors of the now-illegal steroid androstenedione, which was used by Mark McGwire when he broke baseball's home run record.
© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Looks like the sh** is hitting the fan worse than ever...:mad:

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I think only a few people will see this article. It took me 10 mins to find the article from yesterdays paper and I was looking. It's in a small corner about three-four pages in the Sports section. Plus it's on the same page as the Wizards news, nobody reads anything about the Wiz unless someone holds a gun to your head.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Oh well to the dark side with me...Good work post.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
If it wasn't for the OTC hormones available, the FDA would be attacking creatine. Once they get creatine, they'll be working on banning protein powders. Once they get powders, they'll want to take multi-vitamins. Whatever the FDA can do ensure big pharma wins, they'll do.

I say give the FDA dog a political bone. Let's give Amy Shipley something to write about. It's not that we are governed by fat, weak, and slow leaders that bothers me. It's that when the government gets involved, the people lose. We lose our right to choose. The Bush Admin has squashed basic American Rights to new low margins. Shipley's inability to show the courage of men who will not go weakly into their future is pure ignorance or bias. We attach the label of "For the Children," to any political campaign. Look at the platform Bush was elected on. If they gave a damn about kids they'd feed them better foods in school and give them longer recesses. About a million problems fixed right there.

But there is no sense in actually helping your countrymen when you can make a living of their misery. The supplement industry is as American as Apple pie. It is people with a vision and product who are looking to invent or bring to light innovation. The FDA represents an empty government with no concern for true democracy. Merely looking to keep the medical field loaded with work. The fatter and weaker they let us become, the more we will need them at every corner of our life. God forbid we should dream to govern ourselves. God forbid an educated argument for health and liberty. God forbid media writing objective human interest stories about people in control of their unique and meaningful lives.

We live in a time of loss for America. Except the battle isn't overseas, it's right here. I am not proud of what our country is becoming. I love my country, but it doesn't stand for what it did a few generations back. We are living in more fear of our government than we are of our enemys with guns. A politician is an age-old concept, they haven't changed in thousands of years. But Washington was to democracy what Bush/ our government is to a citizens purgatory. Let's make a wealthy nation nobody wants to live in.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
like motiv8er said, next is creatine and then protein powder. I would be speechless if they really banned supplements. But somehow I can see them doing it.

I think the one good thing is that we have the elderly population on our side. They're the next biggest demographic besides us that uses supplements as a part of their daily lives. Hopefully they'll help us keep supps legal.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I've got something veiny and hard this b*tch can suck on!

:FUfinger:

ArnoldIsMyIdol

ArnoldIsMyIdol

Awards
  • Established
Yeah its like the guy who was on a airplane and said to the stewardess, "Can I have some of your TWA tea?"