ORAC (antioxidant) Value

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

ORAC (antioxidant) Value

As a was looking for some potent anti oxidant supplements, this word kept coming up. I guess this how strong that the supplement is rated. Does anyone know what food or supplement has the highest ORAC rating.
    I came across ACAI powder it is supposed to be good.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by b_delgros
    As a was looking for some potent anti oxidant supplements, this word kept coming up. I guess this how strong that the supplement is rated. Does anyone know what food or supplement has the highest ORAC rating.
    I came across ACAI powder it is supposed to be good.
    This doesn't directly answer your question but all the studies seem to indicate that a variety of fruits/vegetables with varying ORAC values seem to offer the best protection. There are probably synergistic effects where combining ORAC 10A plus ORAC 10B = Effective ORAC 40.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.55%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Don't put too much value into ORAC numbers as the test/procedure is highly flawed. As mentioned earlier and elsewhere, it doesn't take into account oral bioavailbility nor the fact that your body can only use so much at a time.

I've tried a few of BAC's products and while I can't recommend their idebenone the Fruit Antioxidants, grape seed extract, green tea, ELLAGIC ACID/Pomegranate extract and BILBERRY EXTRACT all worked very well for me.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Now I am wondering if it is a scam.
    I searched all over the internet and found only a few actual ACAI juice drinks. As this berry is very powefull, there does not seem to be much of a market for it. All the places I check was more or less looking for someone to help sell there products.
    Not only was it expensive $30-$40 for a 15 day supply, it also had alot of marketing jazz added. Also, there are only 5 products that I found, and out of those 5 none were pure ACAI juice, they all had added extra fruit juices.

I was thinking the same about the Goji Juice, as good as it sounds I wish I had someone intelligent to back up the claims and know the research.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.74%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Those newer antiox fruits are heavily pimped by MSM companies..Goji, Acai, Mangosteen, Pomegranite et cetera and all are way overpriced as a result.

I'd just go with some quality grapeseed, bilberry, whatever powders and call it good. Way better value..proven results, particularly with Activen grapeseed extract.
  6. Handsome and intelligent
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

We just released VIGOR at the Arnold Classic Expo for this.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.35%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Try googling OPC-3. I was chatting with a respiratory therapist about different things, supplements, sleep apnea, etc... One of her friends turned her on to OPC-3, Now I don't know about the Orac value but from what I've read, the stuff looks potent. It's got your billberry, grapeseed, citrus, etc.....Take a look at it. If I didn't have like 500 supplements laying around, I might replace them with this stuff.
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.6%

I actually have used a powdered Acai berry drink and thought it was pretty good. I actually enjoy it a great deal. I got on this kick after being in LA last summer and drinking about 3 Jamba Juice a day with Acai in them. I have seen the powered drink I speak of at one of the online retailers pretty cheap. Don't know if I am allowed to post the link here or not......
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.6%

Whoops, look at that, I guess when I bout it it was on sale. I just went to the site and a 30 day supple is about $27.00. So It is almost a $1.00 a day. When I got it the same size bottle was like $16.50. WTF

Mr.50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.50
    I actually have used a powdered Acai berry drink and thought it was pretty good. I actually enjoy it a great deal. I got on this kick after being in LA last summer and drinking about 3 Jamba Juice a day with Acai in them. I have seen the powered drink I speak of at one of the online retailers pretty cheap. Don't know if I am allowed to post the link here or not......
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.55%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Goji and Acai are overrated and overpriced. Pomegranate extract can be fairly cheap though the juice for some reason isn't/. While goji or Acai may have a ridiculous ORAC value something like 11,000 while others are only 1-3k it's misleading. As stated you may only use 3-4k units at a time so 11k is just wasteful. Stick with the aox powders on BAC and you can mix up a nice ****tail at a decent price. If you want the convienence of a premade product then go with Vigor or even NOW Super Antioxidants. The most important thing though is to spread the doses throughout hte day.

Similar Forum Threads

1. ORAC Premium Antioxidant Protection
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 04:10 AM
  2. What is Your ORAC value?--Hint inside
    By Guest in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 09:47 PM
  3. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM