ORAC (antioxidant) Value

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As a was looking for some potent anti oxidant supplements, this word kept coming up. I guess this how strong that the supplement is rated. Does anyone know what food or supplement has the highest ORAC rating.
I came across ACAI powder it is supposed to be good.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
As a was looking for some potent anti oxidant supplements, this word kept coming up. I guess this how strong that the supplement is rated. Does anyone know what food or supplement has the highest ORAC rating.
I came across ACAI powder it is supposed to be good.
This doesn't directly answer your question but all the studies seem to indicate that a variety of fruits/vegetables with varying ORAC values seem to offer the best protection. There are probably synergistic effects where combining ORAC 10A plus ORAC 10B = Effective ORAC 40.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Don't put too much value into ORAC numbers as the test/procedure is highly flawed. As mentioned earlier and elsewhere, it doesn't take into account oral bioavailbility nor the fact that your body can only use so much at a time.

I've tried a few of BAC's products and while I can't recommend their idebenone the [SIZE=+1]Fruit Antioxidants, grape seed extract, green tea, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ELLAGIC ACID/Pomegranate extract and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] BILBERRY EXTRACT all worked very well for me.
[/SIZE]

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now I am wondering if it is a scam.
I searched all over the internet and found only a few actual ACAI juice drinks. As this berry is very powefull, there does not seem to be much of a market for it. All the places I check was more or less looking for someone to help sell there products.
Not only was it expensive $30-$40 for a 15 day supply, it also had alot of marketing jazz added. Also, there are only 5 products that I found, and out of those 5 none were pure ACAI juice, they all had added extra fruit juices.

I was thinking the same about the Goji Juice, as good as it sounds I wish I had someone intelligent to back up the claims and know the research.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Those newer antiox fruits are heavily pimped by MSM companies..Goji, Acai, Mangosteen, Pomegranite et cetera and all are way overpriced as a result.

I'd just go with some quality grapeseed, bilberry, whatever powders and call it good. Way better value..proven results, particularly with Activen grapeseed extract.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Try googling OPC-3. I was chatting with a respiratory therapist about different things, supplements, sleep apnea, etc... One of her friends turned her on to OPC-3, Now I don't know about the Orac value but from what I've read, the stuff looks potent. It's got your billberry, grapeseed, citrus, etc.....Take a look at it. If I didn't have like 500 supplements laying around, I might replace them with this stuff.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I actually have used a powdered Acai berry drink and thought it was pretty good. I actually enjoy it a great deal. I got on this kick after being in LA last summer and drinking about 3 Jamba Juice a day with Acai in them. I have seen the powered drink I speak of at one of the online retailers pretty cheap. Don't know if I am allowed to post the link here or not......

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whoops, look at that, I guess when I bout it it was on sale. I just went to the site and a 30 day supple is about $27.00. So It is almost a $1.00 a day. When I got it the same size bottle was like $16.50. WTF

Mr.50
I actually have used a powdered Acai berry drink and thought it was pretty good. I actually enjoy it a great deal. I got on this kick after being in LA last summer and drinking about 3 Jamba Juice a day with Acai in them. I have seen the powered drink I speak of at one of the online retailers pretty cheap. Don't know if I am allowed to post the link here or not......

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Goji and Acai are overrated and overpriced. [SIZE=-1]Pomegranate extract can be fairly cheap though the juice for some reason isn't/. While goji or Acai may have a ridiculous ORAC value something like 11,000 while others are only 1-3k it's misleading. As stated you may only use 3-4k units at a time so 11k is just wasteful. Stick with the aox powders on BAC and you can mix up a nice ****tail at a decent price. If you want the convienence of a premade product then go with Vigor or even NOW Super Antioxidants. The most important thing though is to spread the doses throughout hte day.
[/SIZE]