Supps for lowering blood pressure...

bizzare_777

Awards
I was needed some advice on supplements for lowering High Blood Pressure. I have been reading lots of good reviews about celery seed extract and its effect on High B/P.

I remember hearing about Hawthorne Berry extract, but many say that it isnt as effective. Anyways, I just wanted to know what all you guys have used or tried. I was just diagnosed with borderline high b/p and i dont want to take
the meds. :(

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd second the hawthorn, though its effects are cumulative.

Also celery seed, garlic, and red yeast rice. Swanson sells a RYR/policosanol combo that's good for BP.

jeffas66

Awards
Forslean also (coleus extract).
And, not bad, it helps to get higher test and thyroid levels.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
... RYR/policosanol combo that's good for BP.
I have yet to hear the RYR or Policosanol help with BP. Cholesterol yes, BP not so sure.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The hawthorn berry does seem to work, or at least it did for me. I got a bit nervous because, due to stress, prolonged partying and just plain old week will power, I started smoking again for a little while at the end of last year. Stopped again as well.

However, my primary reason for quitting originally was BP issues. This time around I was going well beyond prehypertensive and figured What the hell am I doing to myself?, and stopped. However, BP didn't go all the way back down to normal. Stayed just over the edge of prehypertensive. Started HB extract at the recommended dosage and about two months later I'm good. BP is good. Diastolic still goes up a little too high for me sometimes, but otherwise I'm good. Hell, once I get some cardio going I should be better than good. It's that whole prolonged activity thing that gets in the way.

I'd be interested in hearing a few more first hand reports of celery seed extract. Twin Lab makes that c peptide which is supposed to be good, but it's damn expensive at the recommended dose.

the Cardinal

Awards
I was needed some advice on supplements for lowering High Blood Pressure. I have been reading lots of good reviews about celery seed extract and its effect on High B/P.

I remember hearing about Hawthorne Berry extract, but many say that it isnt as effective. Anyways, I just wanted to know what all you guys have used or tried. I was just diagnosed with borderline high b/p and i dont want to take
the meds. :(
Celery seed extract with 3-n-butylphthalide (3nB). I use a brand called Natural Factors (60 capsules at about $11.00). I use one per day upon awakening, and I've experienced real benefits. BP went from 138/90 to 130/80 in 11 months time.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Celery seed extract with 3-n-butylphthalide (3nB). I use a brand called Natural Factors (60 capsules at about $11.00). I use one per day upon awakening, and I've experienced real benefits. BP went from 138/90 to 130/80 in 11 months time.
Is that a fast turnaround? I'm asking honestly, I realized I don't really know what's a good turnaround time for this personal stat. Say for instance with no supplementation, how fast and how much through cardio and diet alone could a person modify their BP numbers?

the Cardinal

Awards
Is that a fast turnaround? I'm asking honestly, I realized I don't really know what's a good turnaround time for this personal stat. Say for instance with no supplementation, how fast and how much through cardio and diet alone could a person modify their BP numbers?
A very good question to which I have a very qualified answer: for me, yes.

The celery seed extract was the only new supplement I used for the purpose of BP control after my last physical. My diet (which ranges from okay to lousy), exercise routines (which are challenging), and other supplementation pretty much stayed the same (except for trying new products from time to time for other purposes). In fact, I gained an additional 5 pounds during the 11 month period between physicals, and unfortunately, a couple of those were fat.

The two readings came from my two physicals, which makes them somewhat "official." However, I suspect my BP began to improve with the use of the celery seed extract early on during the past 11 months, but since I never got it checked during this time, that's pure speculation on my part. I also suspect that a weight loss of as little as 10 pounds (which I'm working on), in combination with the celery seed extract, would bring my top number down to 120.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garz Supplement Auction 2
Supplements 13
Whacked Supplements 7
Whacked Supplements 40
Supplements 15