Can potassium be supplemented....?

bizzare_777

Awards
Can potassium be supplemeted or do we need to get this mineral through foods? If so, what would be an effective type or brand. Someone said that it was useless to try to supp with this mineral.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You'd be better off eating bananas but it doesn't hurt to buy some Potassium Gluconate if you have the need for supplementation.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Peas are also a good source of potassium. Did I see alot of potassium in sweet potatoes? Hold on I'll check...yep 1 cup, 256.88 mg. I forgot how good they were until 2 days ago. Slowly refining the daily diet again.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Go to your local grocery store and go down the spice aisle. Somewhere in there there should be this stuff called "No Salt". It is a salt substitute that contains K instead of Na. Use it just like you would salt, except more generously and you are good to go. 1 tsp. of it is like 2700 mgs.

bizzare_777

Awards
Do you have to be carefull when supplementing with Potassium? I was told that it wasnt safe to try and use just any type of potassium. Someone mentioned something about the ratio of sodium to potassium needing to be balanced and also different types of potassiums. For now im mostly drinking plenty of orange juice (which has like 450 mgs per serv) And oranges.

young_squatter

Board Sponsor
Awards
Do you have to be carefull when supplementing with Potassium? I was told that it wasnt safe to try and use just any type of potassium. Someone mentioned something about the ratio of sodium to potassium needing to be balanced and also different types of potassiums. For now im mostly drinking plenty of orange juice (which has like 450 mgs per serv) And oranges.
To much potassium can lead to access potassium in the blood and will make it harder for your body to aborb other vitamins.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Supplementing with potassium pills can be dangerous for those who are inexperienced.

I suggest you get yourself some organic blackstrap molasses. It has 700mg of K per tablespoon. But it's gotta be organic. The nature of molasses makes it so anything non-organic is loaded with chemicals.