cotton mouth from stim X - AnabolicMinds.com

cotton mouth from stim X

1. New Member

cotton mouth from stim X

I am getting cotton mouth really bad from stimulant x because i play sports and when i start playing it gets terrible. i am just wondering if there is anyway to help this at all or if its just something you got to deal with. i try to drink tons of water but when im playing basketball its like i cant get enough. i doubt there is really anything i could do about it but figured id ask anyway. thanks your help is much appreciated

2. Board Supporter

Try and drink more water before the event...

This is a common side effect and I have also experienced it during workouts.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

chew strong gum.. it helps alot especially cuz cotton mouth gives me horrible breath and my toungue feels like it gets stuck to my gums
    •   

4. Registered User

This should help in a balanced way 1:1 mix of gatorade or pedialyte in water.

When your metabolism is sped up, you use more water esp in heat losses.

Quote Originally Posted by chris42084
    I am getting cotton mouth really bad from stimulant x because i play sports and when i start playing it gets terrible. i am just wondering if there is anyway to help this at all or if its just something you got to deal with. i try to drink tons of water but when im playing basketball its like i cant get enough. i doubt there is really anything i could do about it but figured id ask anyway. thanks your help is much appreciated
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  172 lbs.

this unfortunetly is a side effect....

BUT, we have a new redesigned formula coming out soon!

Only advice i can offer is to drink water, sorry!
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeerDeer
    This should help in a balanced way 1:1 mix of gatorade or pedialyte in water.

When your metabolism is sped up, you use more water esp in heat losses.
    Actually, I would advise against this. "Cotton mouth" (also known as xerostomia) is a common side effect of many stimulants. It is caused by the actions of norepinephrine on the salivary glands resulting in a decreased flow.

During a time of "cotton mouth" you are much more susceptible to colonization of oral flora and in turn dental decay. Have you ever heard of "meth mouth" caused by methamphetamine abuse? If not, I suggest you google a couple pictures. Often times meth addicts will drink caffienated soda in order to provide synergistic effects of the caffeine with the amphetamines. The side effect of xerostomia coupled with the added sugar provides the perfect environment for rampant caries.

The best solution is to make sure to keep your water intake up (plain water that is) and make sure to maintain the oral hygeine if you start to get cotton mouth.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave
    chew strong gum.. it helps alot especially cuz cotton mouth gives me horrible breath and my toungue feels like it gets stuck to my gums
    The bad breath is due to the increased oral bacteria (and their products of metabolism). Chewing gum is a good idea as long as its sugar free...preferrably with xylitol as a sweetener as its been shown to reduce dental decay. Not only that, chewing gum, or anything really will increase your salivary flow.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  172 lbs.

good info, quigs!!!!
  9. Registered User

Xerostomia - simply put - is dry mouth.

And no, it is NOT mediated by norepinephrine, it is mediated by the anticholinergic effects (specifically Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor M3) exhibited partially by stimulant X and partially by the increase in the basal metabolic rate induce by stimX. Peripheral vasoconstrition mediated by stimX is not potent enough to cause such effects a la sudafed.

In any case - a balanced electrolyte solution offers superior benefits to plain water in this state. Furthermore, individuals on stimX do NOT experience TRUE xerostomia, rather they have a transient dry mouth and not a real CONDITION.

sugar free lozenges, chews, candies may also provide some added benefit but only to those experiencing true xerostomia.

Quote Originally Posted by quigs
    Actually, I would advise against this. "Cotton mouth" (also known as xerostomia) is a common side effect of many stimulants. It is caused by the actions of norepinephrine on the salivary glands resulting in a decreased flow.

During a time of "cotton mouth" you are much more susceptible to colonization of oral flora and in turn dental decay. Have you ever heard of "meth mouth" caused by methamphetamine abuse? If not, I suggest you google a couple pictures. Often times meth addicts will drink caffienated soda in order to provide synergistic effects of the caffeine with the amphetamines. The side effect of xerostomia coupled with the added sugar provides the perfect environment for rampant caries.

The best solution is to make sure to keep your water intake up (plain water that is) and make sure to maintain the oral hygeine if you start to get cotton mouth.
  10. Senior Member

Xerostomia - simply put - is dry mouth.

And no, it is NOT mediated by norepinephrine, it is mediated by the anticholinergic effects (specifically Muscarinic acetylcholine receptor M3) exhibited partially by stimulant X and partially by the increase in the basal metabolic rate induce by stimX. Peripheral vasoconstrition mediated by stimX is not potent enough to cause such effects a la sudafed.

In any case - a balanced electrolyte solution offers superior benefits to plain water in this state. Furthermore, individuals on stimX do NOT experience TRUE xerostomia, rather they have a transient dry mouth and not a real CONDITION.

sugar free lozenges, chews, candies may also provide some added benefit but only to those experiencing true xerostomia.
    In reality, salivary flow is related to both norepinephrine (the protein components of saliva) and acetylcholine (the fluid part of saliva). Substances which effect either of these (such as stim-x, B-adregenic drugs, or drugs that effect acetylcholine) can effect salivary flow.

I'm not really sure where you got your information about xerostomia, but you have been misinformed. While xerostomia is a condition, it may have many etiologies. One, as in the case of "meth mouth", is drug induced. There are many drugs on the market which cause xerostomia, and xerostomia may also be present without drug use.
    Stimulant-x is indeed strong enough to cause xerostomia, as I've experienced it almost everytime I've used the product (and I have normal salivary flow otherwise).

Also, sugar free gum would be benificial to those who use stim-x (not just those with chronic xerostomia). Any time you are without adequate saliva, you are increasing your chances of dental caries. The presence of an object in your mouth [insert joke here] will increase salivary flow and therefore decrease the cotton mouth.
  11. Registered User

That made absolutely no sense - do you realize that acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter? norepinephrine is a protein compnent of saliva?! wtf?

I think google or whatever you searched misinformed you. You really have almost NO idea what you are talking about LOL.

In reality, salivary flow is related to both norepinephrine (the protein components of saliva) and acetylcholine (the fluid part of saliva). Substances which effect either of these (such as stim-x, B-adregenic drugs, or drugs that effect acetylcholine) can effect salivary flow.
  12. Senior Member

That made absolutely no sense - do you realize that acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter? norepinephrine is a protein compnent of saliva?! wtf?

I think google or whatever you searched misinformed you. You really have almost NO idea what you are talking about LOL.
    That is not what I mean, and i apologize if i wasn't clear. Norepinephrine acts on the acinar cells within the salivary glands and causes them to release the protein components of saliva (mucins, immunoglobins, etc) while acetylcholine causes the production of a more serous saliva (water and electrolytes). There are mucous and a serous components to saliva just as there are serous and mucous glands (Parotid gland - serous, Sublingal = mucous, Submandibular = mixed serous and mucous gland) . Powerful stims either increase the production of norepi or block its degradation or both which can effect salivary output.
    By the way, I don't need google. I've taken enough classes at the undergraduate and graduate level (including oral histology, oral microbilogy, oral neurobiology, neuroanatomy/neurophysiology, oral pathology, pharmacology, etc) to be more than competent for my profession in these subjects. If you would like to continue with this discussion I'd be more than happy to, but I certainly hope that your responses are well thought out.
  13. Registered User

SO you are saying you know for a fact that stimX modulates NOR and Ach at the receptor/enzymatic level? Please review my previous statements for the facts.

By the way, this "oral" courses you mention are a load of crap. I have a MS in bio and an MD and there is no such individual course. All of these are covered in physiology and pathophysiology. Unless you went to Oral University.

Keep using your search engine to provide this info, buddy.

That is not what I mean, and i apologize if i wasn't clear. Norepinephrine acts on the acinar cells within the salivary glands and causes them to release the protein components of saliva (mucins, immunoglobins, etc) while acetylcholine causes the production of a more serous saliva (water and electrolytes). There are mucous and a serous components to saliva just as there are serous and mucous glands (Parotid gland - serous, Sublingal = mucous, Submandibular = mixed serous and mucous gland) . Powerful stims either increase the production of norepi or block its degradation or both which can effect salivary output.
    By the way, I don't need google. I've taken enough classes at the undergraduate and graduate level (including oral histology, oral microbilogy, oral neurobiology, neuroanatomy/neurophysiology, oral pathology, pharmacology, etc) to be more than competent for my profession in these subjects. If you would like to continue with this discussion I'd be more than happy to, but I certainly hope that your responses are well thought out.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

chew gum or suck on a piece of candy
  15. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by freezito
    chew gum or suck on a piece of candy
    That is the bottom line!

reps!
  16. Senior Member

SO you are saying you know for a fact that stimX modulates NOR and Ach at the receptor/enzymatic level? Please review my previous statements for the facts.

By the way, this "oral" courses you mention are a load of crap. I have a MS in bio and an MD and there is no such individual course. All of these are covered in physiology and pathophysiology. Unless you went to Oral University.

Keep using your search engine to provide this info, buddy.
    I have a BS in nutrition, MS in exercise physiology, and a DDS (hence the oral courses). So yes, I did in a sense go to oral university.
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

i think my woman went too oral university as well!
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  172 lbs.

ok, i'm glad that is over with..............

any other questions?
  19. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by freezito
    i think my woman went too oral university as well!

That is never a bad thing...except for the whole teeth thing...ouchie.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What type of ingredients to stay away from in stim/supp
    By UCSMiami in forum Advanced Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM
  4. Anxiety from hormone and stim use
    By Sea223 in forum Anabolics