Apple cider vinegar?

Bulldog7

Awards
Has anyone used apple cider vinegar in order to help achieve fat loss? If so any feedback?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I am using it right now, no feedback quite yet, I seem to be loosing at a decent/slow rate right now. It just seems that whenever I start doing something (cutting, bulking) that requires discipline, **** comes up in my life that makes it hard.

ManBeast

Bulldog7

Awards
Ya I hear ya....how long have you been using it?

IRISHRYG

Board Supporter
Awards
someone suggested this to me to help lower blood pressure, any truth that it can help do this?

mab904

mab904

Awards
Vinegar can help to lower blood sugar. So this may be its benefit as far as weight loss.
One theory on why vinegar lowers blood sugar is that vinegar affects carbohydrate digestion. Acetic acid, a component of vinegar, interferes with the enzymes that digest carbohydrates. So the simple carbs pass on through without stopping, much like fiber does.:)

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
My GF's mother uses this and said she dropped two pants sizes in about two months while using this. I dunno if she was doing anything else but she claims not have been.

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
So you just take a shot of it, I was taking a TBSP in water, but it doesn't taste very good, A shot seems like it would burn the hell out of your throat, and do you take like an OZ or 2 OZ, what kind of dosing do you follow for it to be effective? Thanks.

-WannaGro

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I have a shot of ACV anytime i eat any refined or processed carbohydrates (wholegrain bagels, mostly).
Interesting. I could DEFINITELY use something as I eat quite a bit of processed carbs. Do you mean you do a full shot glass type shot 1oz? Do you mix it in anything?

CROWLER

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to mix a 50/50 ratio of white wine vinegar and lemon juice I a bottle and swig a mouthful post workout. Excellent glucose transport agents. Read the thread, I logged my results there as well.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I could DEFINITELY use something as I eat quite a bit of processed carbs. Do you mean you do a full shot glass type shot 1oz? Do you mix it in anything?

CROWLER
I actually use the bottle cap - its about 2 tbsp. I just pour into the cap and neck it. There is a mild burning sensation, but it passes, or you can drink some water to neutralize it.

I recall a post by Spook of Avant where he was talking about insulin response from nutrients, and he was basically saying (since i can't be bothered to search and can't recall the quotes off my head) that processed carbohydrates don't send the same signals that "natural" or fiberous carbohydrates do. The acetic acid provides substrate for the TCA/kreb's cycle to help send the signals.

I class myself as an "endomorph" so i find this not only quite helpful with regards to processed carbohydrates, but also quite important.

Marshall Law

Awards
someone suggested this to me to help lower blood pressure, any truth that it can help do this?
Yes, I've been using this for years and it's worked wonders in both weight loss and BP.

I mix it with 100% Organic Apple juice and you can hardly taste the ACV.

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
I actually use the bottle cap - its about 2 tbsp. I just pour into the cap and neck it. There is a mild burning sensation, but it passes, or you can drink some water to neutralize it.

I recall a post by Spook of Avant where he was talking about insulin response from nutrients, and he was basically saying (since i can't be bothered to search and can't recall the quotes off my head) that processed carbohydrates don't send the same signals that "natural" or fiberous carbohydrates do. The acetic acid provides substrate for the TCA/kreb's cycle to help send the signals.

I class myself as an "endomorph" so i find this not only quite helpful with regards to processed carbohydrates, but also quite important.
I took a full shot 1 time per day with dinner - I'm talking filling up a full shot glass, to the brim.

after doing this for about 2 months, my stomach started bloating immensely and my doctor basically said something to the effect that I was taking way too much at once and it was destroying my stomach.

Since then I haven't touched the stuff, but I think a shot using the bottle cap is MUCH more reasonable than a complete shot glass.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wonder how it would destroy your stomach. According to my numbers the pH of Apple Cider Vinegar is lower than cola.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I took a full shot 1 time per day with dinner - I'm talking filling up a full shot glass, to the brim.

after doing this for about 2 months, my stomach started bloating immensely and my doctor basically said something to the effect that I was taking way too much at once and it was destroying my stomach.

Since then I haven't touched the stuff, but I think a shot using the bottle cap is MUCH more reasonable than a complete shot glass.
You only really need 2 tbsp or so. But i am suprised you developed an issue through it, because several people on avant take 2tsbp vinegar with most meals, which surely accumulates to the same as, if not more than, a shot glass worth?

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
It depends on what type of shot glass he is using, I know of 3 sizes (1 oz, 1.5oz, and 2oz), I have 2 sizes my self. 1oz might not be that bad, but alot of people have the 2oz ones that look alot like 1.5 oz and 2 oz seems like way to much vinegar to take all at once. I just take a TBSP before meals.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I've been using ACV as a general detoxifier for years now. I use about 1-2 oz in a half-glass of water. Whenever I eat processed carbs or when it's been a while. It detoxes the liver very well and it is useful for most digestive issues. A couple times a year I'll run it every day at waking up for a month, just to keep my insides nice and fresh.

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IS *NOT* JUST ACETIC ACID. IT IS ALSO MALIC ACID. And many other things. Sorry for the caps, but this is of MAJOR importance! Don't go and take white vinegar expecting the same benefits as pure organic cider vinegar. Organic is said to be very important because of the random effects that pesticides and fungicides can have on the chemistry of, in a first step, the formation of cider, and in a second step of the vinegar.

This is one reason why it has such a different effect from the other vinegars.

Here's a link to some cures with ACV: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

johngalt

Awards
Marc McDougal included the lemon juice/apple cider vinegar trick in one of his articles: "Lemon Juice/Vinegar: This is the equivalent of the highway signs reading "Emergency Pull Out Ahead," and no, we're not discussing coitus interruptus. Basically, taking about 1 oz of each of these, right before or during a meal can improve insulin sensitivity acutely. I recommend filling a shot glass half full of lemon juice and half full of apple cider vinegar, and knock it down right before a meal. You can even order this one at a restaurant when you don't have your r-ALA handy (and it's VITAL that you do this on a first date, all of us Rugged guys do it, I swear). Oh, and did I mention how cheap this is? I don't want to hear that you're fat because you're broke."Contradictory Nutrition, Part 1

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
I don't know the size of my shot glass - it was a standard shot. I'm guessing 2 ozs because it is not one of those tiny ones. It's the biggest one before becomming a "shooter" w/ a long neck.

I literally would take 1 full shot once a day w/ a meal. It burns like hell going down (obviously) but then was fine. After doing this for a month, maybe 2, that's when my stomach started having problems.

I dont' know if it was all the fault of the ACV or not. What I do know is I stopped taking that and the pain/bloating went away. After about 1 week I tried it again and later that night it came back. Since then I haven't touched the stuff.

I started taking it due to the great feedback I've read around the web. So I guess the moral from me is take it in moderation (1 oz or 2 tablespoons is probably fine). If I had to guess how many tablespoons I was taking I'd say at least 5. Which over time proved to cause some irritation, but who knows, maybe it wasn't the ACV and just a strange cooincidence.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Apple cider vinegar tabs are available and very convenient. Props to the manly "shot glass" proponents, however... ;)

WannaGro

Board Supporter
Awards
I've been doing the half shot ACV half shot lime juice(LJ). Seems to be doing
good and the lime helps eliminate alot of the burning. Oh yeah I take it before carb meals with a GXR, this might be counter productive though. What do you think? I might change to ACV/LJ mix before meals that are not surrounding a workout and then just the GXR on the surrounding meals.

Thanks
WannaGro

Sirius

Awards
that's alot of acid on a continous basis....down the road this can lead to stomach issues..ie..perforations...one other thing to consider is avoiding the teeth as much as possible unless you want to have no teeth when you're older...acid eats enamel..even at low concentration..and dentists have been talking about this apple cider vinegar trick and advising to be careful..just a heads up..sometimes the short term benefits don't outweigh the long term effects.