How would you know if your growth plates have closed?

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
asking as above...have been working out on off for 6 yrs and about to turn 21 soon...thinkin of going to anabolic stuff..but dont wanna cheat myself of any gains i can still do without those stuff...jus need some sort of gauge to see whether im suitable anot...

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
only way would be having a radiologist to xray and then check it.

93cobra

Board Supporter
Awards
Growth plate closure is best seen at the long bones of the body (femur and humerus) with an x-ray.

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
don't think i want to go to that extend...any other gauge without spending on things like x-ray i can safely say my body is ready for anabolic stuff?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wait a couple years.. If you're still the same height you are now, safe to say they've closed.. ;)

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
i have been the same height the last say..5 yrs..can that be considered that i am done with growing?

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
no because it is not unusal for males to grow later and for longer..

Wanker527

Wanker527

Awards
^agreed^

i have a cousin who was 6'0" from the time he was 18 until he was 24, 6 full years...but by his 25th birthday he was 6' 4", nearly 6'5". i wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it for myself.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
no because it is not unusal for males to grow later and for longer..
Indeed, seeing that I was 4'-11" when I started lifting at 14yrs, now I'm 30yrs at 5'-9".. :)

Weights don't stunt your growth, ignorance does..

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
thanks guys...that means no SD even after I turned 21 in a few months' time?

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
asking as above...have been working out on off for 6 yrs and about to turn 21 soon...thinkin of going to anabolic stuff..but dont wanna cheat myself of any gains i can still do without those stuff...jus need some sort of gauge to see whether im suitable anot...
Well you will always be able to make gains naturaly. Well I'm sure at least into your 50's. If you really want to take gear read everything you can and then decide if you want to go that direction. If you post things like height, weight, workout, length of time training(straight not off and on), and diet people will be able to help you.

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
alright...really thankful for all the help..my stats..

height: 169cm (dont noe wats that in inches)
weight: 160.82 pds
length of training: 2.5 yrs straight
diet
8.20am - 2 slices of pizza or 1 giant sandwich
9.30am - sliced fish soup with rice
12pm - lunch at the canteen(normally rice, some veggie some meat and some fish with a bowl of veggie soup)
3pm - 2 servings of protein shake with a cheese bun and a meat floss bun
6pm - 8 pills of thunder creatine and 1 serving of protein shake
6.30pm - instant mashed potato 1 serving
7pm to 8.15pm - workout
8.15pm - 2 serving of protein shake
9pm - my dinner (rice, cod fish 2 thick slices, skewed meat(beef/pork), oyster sauce stir-fried veggie and a big bowl of soup)
10pm - 1 serving of protein
10.30pm - 1 BK double turkey bacon/ Mushroom Swiss burger
12am - 2 servings of protein...

then i go to bed after the protein...

alot of the stuff may sound foreign to you guys but i'm living in an asian country...so that is the sort of thing we eat in asian chinese country..

E

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys...that means no SD even after I turned 21 in a few months' time?
Androgens increase the rate of longitudinal bone growth while estrogens attenuate it.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Yes, just like they can increase protein synthesis.
I wouldn't think it would be the "can" for protein synthesis as it would be for longitudinal bone growth. Wouldn't the longitudinal bone growth be dependant on whether or not there has been growth plate closure? Probably the reasoning for the initial question.

Us older folk are most likely not going to see any increase in longitudinal bone growth, but more likely an increase in density.

Just splittin' hairs I guess.

S

shiby1510

Awards
Well why do people say then to not take phera if you are under 21... for the reasoning that it could stunt your growth? Are you not saying that this will not happen?

W

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
ive grown two inches since i took androstendidione (sp?) like two years ago.... when i didnt know what i was doing

fairely high doses too

im eighteen now..... 6'3

Z

ZoMbSta

Awards
yeah..i wanna know y too...if androgens can add inches to your height..then everybody even those under 16 should be taking them!!