L-arginine Supplements Linked to Increased Risk of Death in Heart Patients

  1. Registered User
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,372
    Answers
    0

    L-arginine Supplements Linked to Increased Risk of Death in Heart Patients



  2. Gold Member
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    965
    Answers
    0


    makes sense when you think about the effects of l-arg, it gives you pumps.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Apowerz6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,108
    Answers
    0


    A study halted because of seven people died? since when do studies stop when people die? Seven is so low, I wonder if they would have stopped if 3 people died? No seriously now i can honestly say to those neigh sayers who say Larginine is bunk. Its killing people, and you're not getting a pump?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,372
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Apowerz6
    A study halted because of seven people died? since when do studies stop when people die? Seven is so low, I wonder if they would have stopped if 3 people died? No seriously now i can honestly say to those neigh sayers who say Larginine is bunk. Its killing people, and you're not getting a pump?
  5. Registered User
    x_muscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    627
    Answers
    0


    "In conclusion, L-arginine therapy should not be given to patients following a myocardial infarction. It neither alters noninvasive measures of vascular stiffness nor improves left ventricular function," the authors said.

    I dont think it has side effects on helthy active men
  6. Registered User
    Jay Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    228
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Apowerz6
    A study halted because of seven people died? since when do studies stop when people die? Seven is so low, I wonder if they would have stopped if 3 people died? No seriously now i can honestly say to those neigh sayers who say Larginine is bunk. Its killing people, and you're not getting a pump?
    You are joking, right?

    If you are researching something and immediately notice a trend towards the treatment group being more likely to experience a fatal outcome if you don't stop the expirament you are a murderer.

    If L-arginine gave you "a pump" it owuld decrease workload on the left ventricle by creating systemic vasodilation thereby decreasing vascular resistance and work of the left ventricle. It would decrease the oxygen demands of the muscle tissue because it wouldn't be working as hard and should improve the outcome in an MI. This is why MI victims are given nitroglycerin. If l-arginine worked, other than giving you a pump it would give you a bitchin' head ache (vasodilation of the cerebral vasculature cause increased intercranial pressure) as well as a host of other issues associated with decreasing vascular tone.
  7. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,700
    Answers
    0


    It's probably a case that Arg is nowhere near as powerful of NO releasing agent as nitrogycerin is. If they were subsituting Arg for NG, then I could see a spike in fatalities simply because the treatment/preventative measure was not enough.

    I don't think the study can conclusively state much of anything about Arg use in healthy people or even MI patients other than the fact that they should stick to the tried and true NitroGlycerin.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Apowerz6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,108
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mc
    You are joking, right?

    If you are researching something and immediately notice a trend towards the treatment group being more likely to experience a fatal outcome if you don't stop the expirament you are a murderer.

    If L-arginine gave you "a pump" it owuld decrease workload on the left ventricle by creating systemic vasodilation thereby decreasing vascular resistance and work of the left ventricle. It would decrease the oxygen demands of the muscle tissue because it wouldn't be working as hard and should improve the outcome in an MI. This is why MI victims are given nitroglycerin. If l-arginine worked, other than giving you a pump it would give you a bitchin' head ache (vasodilation of the cerebral vasculature cause increased intercranial pressure) as well as a host of other issues associated with decreasing vascular tone.

    Ok who let the serious guy in? Wow do you talk like this to girls, I bet the reaction from your smartness causes a reaction in their cerebral cortex and they immediately get wet...

    Chillax.
  9. Registered User
    Jay Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    228
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Apowerz6
    Ok who let the serious guy in? Wow do you talk like this to girls, I bet the reaction from your smartness causes a reaction in their cerebral cortex and they immediately get wet...

    Chillax.
    I wasn't stressing, was just trying to clear the air. I'm a medstudent and my fiance is a PA so yeah, most chicks I talk to I do talk like that
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Arachidonic Acid Linked to Lower Risk of Heart Disease
    By SwolenONE in forum Advanced Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
  2. Arachidonic Acid Linked to Lower Risk of Heart Disease
    By SwolenONE in forum Molecular Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
  3. Dietary supplements that may increase risk of Lung cancer
    By Riquee in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
  4. Low testosterone linked to long-term risk of death in over-50s
    By yeahright in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
  5. Juice Consumption Linked to Reduced Risk of Alzheimer's
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 01:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in