Meal Replacement Protein products

GuyinLA

Awards
I have been a long-time user of VPX Micellean Superfood. I like the product because it contains high-quality protein along with some quality (complex) carbs. Also, it isn't very expensive. It is the only product from VPX that I buy. It appears that the company has stopped making it since it is becoming harder and harder to find.

Can someone recommend a replacement for me? Most of the MRPs I find have malodextrin for carbs and I am looking for something better.

Mass Meal by ErgoPharm looks very interesting. It is priced reasonably and is made by a reputable company. Anyone tried?

EAS Myoplex Deluxe would probably work but it is too expensive.

IntakePerformance by Instone might work. Has anyone tried?

Lean Mass Complex by Prolab would work, except that the primary protein used is concentrate and I would prefer higher quality protein.

I am also looking into Allthewhey and Protein Factory. Any recommendations here?

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Quoted from Greg @ VPX Sports regarding this issue back on 01/09/06.

No these products have not been discontinued. We changed our contract manufactures and made some changes to the nutritional content on all of our proteins. We are now going to be using 21% Glyco Macro Peptides. This will make for an even higher quality protein.
Sorry for the delay. We are very upset about the time it is taking this new company to produce our products.

shct

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
My choice is Champion Nutrition low-carb MRP's which can be found for as little as $22 for 20 packets.

Ttokkyo Jack

Awards
I used to use Optimum Nutritions MRP, which for the price/benefit is a great choice. I got tired of all of the flavors, so I started using Lean Mass Complex Cinnamon Oat flavor, and I think its awesome. Best tasting I have tried so far.

jdahlum

Board Supporter
Awards
Gotta agree with the Lean Mass Complex Cinnamon Oat. I have been using the Prolab stuff for a while and it is all good. I even like the vanilla. Just compare the ingredient list to other MRP's....it is all whole foods and stuff you can understand. Lots of quality stuff in there!

PriestProdigy

Awards
I have tried the Instone MRP. It's kinda pricey but it is well worth your money. At first I did not like it, it says to put 16oz of water and it was way too thick for me. So, then I put in 20oz of water and it was night and day. I do use them but I only use them if I'm not getting any other fat source in my diet for the day. It does have a lot of healthy fat's in it.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Tried a sample of the Lean Mass Complex by Prolab as well. Taste is seriously awesome but the higher whey concentrate levels gave me gas to no end.

You could get something like Muscle Milk and mix in your own oats or other carbs. I like MM's protein profile and there is no beating the taste. Price could definitely be lower though.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
MM is pretty damn cheap if you ask me. Under 17 dollars on some websites. I'm actually trying Mass Meal by Ergopharm due to a certain sale and I really like it. Great taste, but not as thick in consistancy compared to MM. When Lean Mass Matrix (or whatever it's called now) first came out a few years ago, I gobbled that **** up. The chocolate and cinnamon-oatmeal were really good.

GuyinLA

Awards
I have started with Ergopharm's Mass Meal and like it very much. Very good taste and solid ingredients.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Gotta agree with the Lean Mass Complex Cinnamon Oat. I have been using the Prolab stuff for a while and it is all good. I even like the vanilla. Just compare the ingredient list to other MRP's....it is all whole foods and stuff you can understand. Lots of quality stuff in there!
Thats what I am using now, just adding a extra scoop of Whey in it to bump up the Protein intake.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
S.A.N. Infusion is a pretty good meal replacement. pretty similar to VPX micellean in terms of ingredients. the only problem with it is that it is pricey. i make it cost effective by taking half servings and blending with milk and ice. the vanilla caramel swirl has to be one of the best tasting powders ive ever tried.

stri8ted_planet

Awards
  • Established
Core MRP or Ultramet are both really good econimical choices.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SAN Infusion and Mucle Milk are part of my daily protein IV's.. :D

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I was looking at San Infusion and I was wondering what flavor everyone thinks is best?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
I was looking at San Infusion and I was wondering what flavor everyone thinks is best?
vanilla caramel swirl all the way!!! the only other flavor i have tried is chocolate peanut butter. dont get me wrong, that was good too, but vanilla caramel is just awesome. you wont be disappointed. and if you are, ill buy it off you :food:

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I concur on the vanilla caramel Infusion...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
when I use them I'll use Lean Mass matrix cinnamon oatmeal, that's a lifesaver, I'll add a scoop of ATW chocolate every time I feel I'm not going to get my next meal on time.

dam225

Awards
I have still yet to see any feedback on the Core MRP by Core Nutritionals. Much cheaper than Infusion and uses only oats and barley for its carb sources.
ND,

My name is Doug Miller, and I am a drug-free pro bodybuilder and co-owner of Core Nutritionals (www.corenutritionals.com). Core MRP has been on the market (limited) for almost a year now now and has been receiving nothing but positive feedback. I personally used this product throughout the prep of my first pro show and could not be happier with the results.

Core MRP is the first product of the Core Nutritionals line. It’s a balanced, chocolate flavored meal replacement powder with a 40g blend of fast and slow digesting proteins (whey concentrate and isolate, caseinate, egg albumen, L-glutamine), a 40g blend of low glycemic, whole-grain carbohydrates (oat and barley flour), and 9g of natural fiber. It does not contain aspartame, fructose, sucrose, corn syrup solids, hydrogenated oils, high glycemic index dextrose and maltodextrins, or soy and other low quality proteins.

Being a competitor I can appreciate the importance of having high quality supplements. That is why we independently test our products and will only produce products that have been proven to work.

The next Core Nutritionals product will be a post workout recovery drink that contains whey isolate (CFM), dextrose, maltodextrin, and added BCAAs, glutamine, taurine, and antioxidants. We are also working on a Cinnamon Vanilla Oat flavor of our Core MRP. Look for these products in the near future.

I hope you all enjoy this product as much as I do.

Doug Miller

thylittle

Awards
i want to know if taking pure malodetrin and glucose or dextrose is good to take after a workout mixed with whey and glutamine. After I workout I take 40 grams of dextrose and 40 grams of glucose base carb powder with 2 scoops of whey......

Does that sound like a good mix??? or do you have a better sugg?

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
i want to know if taking pure malodetrin and glucose or dextrose is good to take after a workout mixed with whey and glutamine. After I workout I take 40 grams of dextrose and 40 grams of glucose base carb powder with 2 scoops of whey......

Does that sound like a good mix??? or do you have a better sugg?
80g of high glycemic carbs seems like overkill to me. if i were to do this, i would at least take some form of ALA or other insulin mimickers to help store those carbs as glycogen. personally, i think a better idea would be to split it up with half dextrose and the other half of carbs coming from a lower glycemic carb such as oats. just my opinion. most people on here are more knowledgable than me though so id get their opinions before making anything final.

Pimp C

Awards
I like Myogenix's Myolean Evolution. It has no maltodextrin, no whey concentrate, and no lactose. Also BSN's new Syntha-6 product is good. It has lots of fiber and a good dose of healthy fats. The ultramet lo carb ones are good too.

thylittle

Awards
80g of high glycemic carbs seems like overkill to me. if i were to do this, i would at least take some form of ALA or other insulin mimickers to help store those carbs as glycogen. personally, i think a better idea would be to split it up with half dextrose and the other half of carbs coming from a lower glycemic carb such as oats. just my opinion. most people on here are more knowledgable than me though so id get their opinions before making anything final.
what kind of oats are you talking about..I keep hearing everyone talk about these things. Is it oat meal or what?

thylittle

Awards
I have heard that drinking pure 100% malodextrin mixed with whey is the best thing to take after a workout. Has anyone heard this or have better idea.?

william3162

Board Supporter
Awards
Pour a half cup of oats together with your protein isolate in the blender and you get a very nice MRP.

GuyinLA

Awards
I did some comparisons of many of the products listed above. My criteria are (1) I don't want protein concentrate (I don't digest it well but also because other proteins are superior), (2) I want complex carbs (no maltodextrin), (3) cost must be within reason. These are my criteria. Naturally, reasonable people can arrive at different criteria.

What I found is that Ergopharm MASS MEAL is apparently the ONLY meal replacement protein that has zero protein concentrate. If you go to the Ergopharm website, that is a big selling point. All of the other products seem to have some (hard to tell how much, but law requires the label to show order of predominance). Mass Meal has complex carbs/zero maltodextrin and the cost is very reasonable (lower than most other products per serving). The only negative is that the 34 grams of protein per serving is lower than most of the others (Infusion is 47 grams, Ultramet is 42). I could add use more, but that would of course drive up the cost. For me, the taste is good, easily digestible, and filling.

INFUSION, using my criteria, comes in second. Negatives: (1) Very expensive (around $2.20 per serving while Mass Meal is at most $1.66) (2) has protein concentrate (2nd in order in the protein listing). Positives: High protein, complex carbs/no maltodextrin, and, from what people say above, good taste.

ULTRAMET is very inexpensive. The big negative is that all the carbs come from maltodextrin. There is protein concentrate, but Whey Protein Isolate is first in the protein listing. Too bad about the maltodextrin, otherwise I would give it a shot.

CORE MRP is all protein concentrate. Just doesn't work for me.

MYOLEAN is expensive, about $2.13 a serving, so I didn't look any further.

INSTONE: I couldn't figure out the source of carbs. Like all the other brands, it has protein concentrate.

Pimp C

Awards
vitaplusonline has myolean evolution for $27.57. that's $1.83 per serving. i dont think you find what you want for less than that.

GuyinLA

Awards
vitaplusonline has myolean evolution for $27.57. that's $1.83 per serving. i dont think you find what you want for less than that.
You're right but I think it is hard to find at that price. MYO LEAN EVOLUTION isn't sold at the sites where I normally buy (one of which is Nutraplanet; the others are not sponsors of Anabolicminds). So, I went to bodybuildingcom, which is usually only a little higher than other sites. I did a Froogle search and at most other places the price is similar to bodybuildingcom.

That said, I looked more carefully at the product. It meets all of my criteria. Zero protein concentrate, complex carbs, and the cost (at the site Pimp C mentions) is reasonable. With 42 grams of high-quality protein, Myo lean is a very solid product.

So, my assessment is revised: there are two products out there that work for me: ErgoPharm's MASS MEAL and Myoplex's MYO LEAN EVOLUTION.

Thanks for the info Pimp C.

thanatopsis

Awards
  • Established
I like MHP "Up Your Mass" for the quality carbs and fats. Unfortunatly it has some soy protein in it... but for me having low GI carbs and being cheap wins the day.

Pimp C

Awards
All of MHP's products have soy as the main ingredient, which sucks.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Mass Meal has complex carbs/zero maltodextrin and the cost is very reasonable (lower than most other products per serving). The only negative is that the 34 grams of protein per serving is lower than most of the others (Infusion is 47 grams, Ultramet is 42). I could add use more, but that would of course drive up the cost. For me, the taste is good, easily digestible, and filling.
You are wrong about the carbs, Mass Meal has both maltodextrin and fructose. Malto is ok with me, but fructose, no way.

INFUSION, using my criteria, comes in second. Negatives: (1) Very expensive (around $2.20 per serving while Mass Meal is at most $1.66) (2) has protein concentrate (2nd in order in the protein listing). Positives: High protein, complex carbs/no maltodextrin, and, from what people say above, good taste.
Mass Meal can be found for 1.34 per serving. Infusion can be found for 27 per tub, making it 1.8 per serving. The cost per gram of protein is lower than that of Mass Meal and the protein breakdown is the following:

30% Micellar Casein
30% Whey Concentrate
25% Whey Isolate
10% Colostrum
5% Lactalbumin

That's what Matt [SAN's owner] posted over at bb.

I know it is high on concentrate, but the amount of colostrum is significant.

GuyinLA

Awards
I stand corrected again, this time by machinehead. (1) I re-checked the ingredients in MASS MEAL. It does have maltodextrin and fructose along with complex carbs. I agree that fructose is undesirable, unless the amount is insignificant. (2) I know that MASS MEAL can be obtained for $1.34 at one site (where I get mine) but it isn't an Anabolicminds sponsor so I didn't mention.

machinehead's INFUSION comments: (1) Good info provided on protein content. (2) I wasn't able to find a price of $27 a tub. On Froogle there is a website indicating that price, but upon going to the site the product is not available. I checked Froogle, and I found it as low as $30, which translates to $2.00 a serving. That is a little pricey when you can get MYO LEAN at $1.83. And, there is no protein concentrate in MYO LEAN.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
From my experiences, the best I've tried is Champion Nutrition's Ultramet. It's affordable, good protein blend, and the chocolate flavor tastes as good as muscle milk.

GuyinLA

Awards
From my experiences, the best I've tried is Champion Nutrition's Ultramet. It's affordable, good protein blend, and the chocolate flavor tastes as good as muscle milk.
On the plus side, there is no protein concentrate in ULTRAMET. On the negative, in my view, is no complex carbs. All carbs come from maltodextrin and fructose. I found one site that has it for $1.53 a serving, so price is very good, as stated in fbxdan's post.

thylittle

Awards
I thought you wanted high glycemic carbs after a workout so that the carbs get in your system very quickly...ie malodextrin or dextrose...then i hear that you want low glycemic to drip in your system like a IV after a workout. Like myolean.....
SO WHICH ONE IS IT HIGH OR LOW AFTER A WORKOUT????

Pimp C

Awards
high to restore muscle glycogen. dextrose, maltodextrin, or vitargo are good choices. My personal favorites are Gaspari's Size On, Myogenix Aftershock (also has protein), Scitec's myomax 10 in 1, Pure Vitargo (rather expensive) or Alri's Regeneration (which is what I'm currently using).

GuyinLA

Awards
I thought you wanted high glycemic carbs after a workout so that the carbs get in your system very quickly...ie malodextrin or dextrose...then i hear that you want low glycemic to drip in your system like a IV after a workout. Like myolean.....
SO WHICH ONE IS IT HIGH OR LOW AFTER A WORKOUT????
After a workout I think high glycemic carbs is desired. However, you don't use a MRP after a workout. You consume MRPs in place of a meal. I use MRPs in place of breakfast, which works well for me because I consume on my way to work. Later in the morning I'll consume some real food (sunflower seeds, fruit). On a high protein diet, some people will consume a MRP as a mid-morning, mid-afternoon, or post-dinner meal.

MYO LEAN would not be good after a workout. I looked at the company's product line and i think AFTERSHOCK RECOVERY would be the product you are looking for after a workout.