Best time to take Multi Vits...

ZoMbSta

Awards
In the morning after you wake or at night before you sleep?

before or after meals?

Thanks..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My multi is a two softgel dose and I take one softgel w/ breakfast and one before bed. I think that the body reacts better to having the dosages split up. If I had to pick one time, it would be before bed do my body could have a fresh shot of micronutrients to assist with recovery.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
I've heard the best time to take it is with lunch. I used to take mine in the morning but a guy at my nutrition store (I don't know how reputable he is) told me it's better to take it at lunch because in the morning the stomach isn't able to digest the vitamin fully so a lot of it is lost. Sounds like bunk to me.

IMO it doesn't really matter when you take it as long as your dosing it. Either way you look at it, if you're taking 1 a day & you take it at the same time every day your simply taking 1 every 24 hours. How would what time of the day you take it vary this unless there's some sort of chemistry behind this I'm not considering.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
I've heard the best time to take it is with lunch. I used to take mine in the morning but a guy at my nutrition store (I don't know how reputable he is) told me it's better to take it at lunch because in the morning the stomach isn't able to digest the vitamin fully so a lot of it is lost. Sounds like bunk to me.
Well. I can hardly digest breakfast in the morning.....
I have a hard time digesting animal pak anytime of day (i will burp it for HOURS!)

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
multi's should be taken thru out the day for best results.. with food or with out food is up to you and your body.. some people can not handle the amount of some B's within a multi and thusly feel sick.. others.. like.. me.. it doesn't matter... but again.. even one a days.. do not do you much of any good... ( though its better than nothing) split them about.. morning.. noon and yes.. before bed...

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
I eat a lot of cereal these days (im in college) so i just started buying Total rather than wheaties... I know it sounds pretty "costo protienish" but i thought id give it a whirl.

xxtruxx1

xxtruxx1

Awards
  • Established
College=the root of most young people nutritional problems. LOL

I know my diet is skewed thanks to school.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
oddly enough my diet is drastically better now that im here.
I had pretty much stopped lifting (lazy/no partner) at home and i was eating out two to three times a day.

In the three weeks ive been away from home i have eaten out twice and im on a set lifting/cardio schedule.
I seriously had a pale complection when i left for college and now without tanning I have a lot more color to my face.
(but ya,,, most of the kids i live with eat like ****. (hot pockets ect.))

ZoMbSta

Awards
from where i am coming from...college don't make you fat..leaving college does..

anyway if i only take those once a day MV..should i take it before or after a meal?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
WTF? you people got nothing better to do? Take 'em when you remember. Before, after, during, morning, evening if I start to worry about some little **** like that... You get the point.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
WTF? you people got nothing better to do? Take 'em when you remember. Before, after, during, morning, evening if I start to worry about some little **** like that... You get the point.
SOOOOO...are you saying I should take them in the morning or in the evening?:blink: ;)

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
it doesnt matter when they are taken, as long as they are taken is the important part

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
SOOOOO...are you saying I should take them in the morning or in the evening?:blink: ;)
5:34 am is the most anabolic time to them. WTF? You didn't know that?!?
You should be banned from this board:study: :nutkick:

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
In the morning after you wake or at night before you sleep?

before or after meals?

Thanks..
If they are syntetic vitamins like 99.99% of multis, the earlier u take in the day, the better.

But ALSO some stuff can be irritating to the stomach, so taking after a meal would be better.

To sum up, the ideal is to take your multi after the first meal of the day, which has to be a decent meal not just a juice, but our breakfast is more then decent, isnt it? ;)

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Look who's back. Where and how have you been, sir Syr? :)

cgcrz8

Awards
Obviously the most important thing is to take them everyday, but I like to take them after my workout when my body is starving for nutrients with my creatine and protein shake. Any other time I take it, I just piss it right through an hour later (my piss is flourecsant yellow). When I take it after working out (I usually get the flourecsant color 3-4 hours later). Just my opinion but most important is taking them everyday.

ZoMbSta

Awards
having yellow piss usually means you are not getting enough water...are you sure you drink enough??

to syr: you mean there are non-sythetic vitamins?...what is the difference?

methyl-D

methyl-D

Awards
ive read in a couple places that the best time to take it is at lunch. I do know that multis require whole food to maximize their digestion and uptake. I would guess the breakfast lunch or dinner would be fine.

cgcrz8

Awards
i definitely drink a lot of water 1-2 gallons a day. Just a personal observation of bright flourescent yellow, not regular yellow.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
2 hours before my workout.

CROWLER

ZoMbSta

Awards
haha...maybe you might be able to glow in the dark soon from ur comments...oops..not trying to be rude...but yeah..

2hrs before w/o the logic is to force the nutrients into ur body during w/o?

aspire210

aspire210

Awards
  • Established
Obviously the most important thing is to take them everyday, but I like to take them after my workout when my body is starving for nutrients with my creatine and protein shake. Any other time I take it, I just piss it right through an hour later (my piss is flourecsant yellow). When I take it after working out (I usually get the flourecsant color 3-4 hours later). Just my opinion but most important is taking them everyday.
It's from the vitamins and its normal. I believe its the B vitamins that cause it.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
having yellow piss usually means you are not getting enough water...are you sure you drink enough??
Either that or B vitamins. You should know the difference of COLOR from either case :)

to syr: you mean there are non-sythetic vitamins?...what is the difference?
There is some algae and herbal extracts but the amount of nutrients is unknown and so normal syntetic vitamins are the way to go. Natural nutrients of all kinds have a different absorbtion and in general there is no better time to consume them.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've gotton an upset stomach from vitamins before. I stopped taking them and switched brands. no problems since.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
haha...maybe you might be able to glow in the dark soon from ur comments...oops..not trying to be rude...but yeah..

2hrs before w/o the logic is to force the nutrients into ur body during w/o?

Who are you talking to?

CROWLER

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Oh ok sorry,

I figure I have to take them sometime during the day. I used to take them after my workout but figured why not already have them in my system while I am working out.

I go by what works for me as I don't have one of them there doctoriates in human fisiolity, biology or humaness. ;)

CROWLER

badmofaux

Awards
I take my multivitamin in the morning with breakfast.

However, I just thought of this:
To improve absorption, do any of you chop your multivitamin in half, and take each half during different times of the day?

Or, what about multivitamins in liquid form--do any of drink your vitamins, instead? (I think I've seen the liquid form at Costco.)

BringnIt

Board Sponsor
Awards
Divided doses. With foods containing fat. If you take fish oil, it'd be a good idea to take it at the same time as that (vit. E will help prevent oxidation of the fish oil).

ZoMbSta

Awards
so the logic is take with something that has fats in them to absorb better?

GuyinLA

Awards
Maynard is correct. You should take throughout the day. Your body will not store water-soluble vitamins (C and B). Thus, any water-soluble vitamins that aren't absorbed are flushed out with the urine.

You should also take vitamins with meals because the fat-soluble (A,E,D,K) vitamins cannot be absorbed without some fat.

badmofaux

Awards
split them about.. morning.. noon and yes.. before bed...
So you chop each multivitamin into THIRDS?? :box: Doesn't this get awfully laborious?

...I could probably do this for a week, tops. :rolleyes:

BringnIt

Board Sponsor
Awards
No, you buy a good multiple vitamin that has a set serving size of at least two pills per day.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I eat a big breakfast, and take the multi with that meal.

chevelleman

Awards
I use the opti-men multi and really like it. I usually take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with supper or a little after.

badmofaux

Awards
I use the opti-men multi and really like it. I usually take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with supper or a little after.
Hi chevelleman--I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, but what is it about "opti-men multi" that you really like?

(I can't say I've ever actually noticed anything when taking multivitamins. I only take them because people say it's healthy to do so.)

GuyinLA

Awards
Here, I'll help you guys out:

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=5FE9540689EA473D8205DD04520274B8&cpid=61&promo=&pid=429&cid=67&lbl=1

It's what I use. A good multi where a full dose is 6 tablets... so you got options. I do 2 tabs with meals 3x a day.
For men, I think this is not a good choice. Men should not take a supplement with iron. Men get enough iron through food and taking excessive iron is not healthy. Puritan makes some iron-free multis though. The Puritan line is a good value.

I also like NOW Foods supplements. For a twice-daily multi consider this: http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=13687

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
For men, I think this is not a good choice. Men should not take a supplement with iron. Men get enough iron through food and taking excessive iron is not healthy. Puritan makes some iron-free multis though. The Puritan line is a good value.

I also like NOW Foods supplements. For a twice-daily multi consider this: http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=13687
I think that's splitting hairs to be honest, but if thats really a concern for you then by all means go iron-free.

GuyinLA

Awards
I think that's splitting hairs to be honest, but if thats really a concern for you then by all means go iron-free.
With all due respect, this really isn't splitting hairs. Lots of info out there but below is an excerpt from the National Institutes of Health website. It isn't hard to find iron-free multis, so it just makes sense for men to avoid iron.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

Who should be cautious about taking iron supplements?

Iron deficiency is uncommon among adult men and postmenopausal women. These individuals should only take iron supplements when prescribed by a physician because of their greater risk of iron overload. Iron overload is a condition in which excess iron is found in the blood and stored in organs such as the liver and heart. Iron overload is associated with several genetic diseases including hemochromatosis, which affects approximately 1 in 250 individuals of northern European descent [67]. Individuals with hemochromatosis absorb iron very efficiently, which can result in a build up of excess iron and can cause organ damage such as cirrhosis of the liver and heart failure [1,3,67-69]. Hemochromatosis is often not diagnosed until excess iron stores have damaged an organ. Iron supplementation may accelerate the effects of hemochromatosis, an important reason why adult men and postmenopausal women who are not iron deficient should avoid iron supplements. Individuals with blood disorders that require frequent blood transfusions are also at risk of iron overload and are usually advised to avoid iron supplements.

chevelleman

Awards
Hi chevelleman--I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, but what is it about "opti-men multi" that you really like?

(I can't say I've ever actually noticed anything when taking multivitamins. I only take them because people say it's healthy to do so.)
No offense takin. I was just saying what kind I take, but I have felt better since taking this certain multi. Just felt more energetic than usual(may be placebo). I have tried several different brands and this one I have been sticking with, thats all. Nice avatar by the way I love Spaceballs!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Have to agree on the iron free. My father was taking geritol and ended up in the hospital. Stopped the Geritol on Drs advice and problem gone.

CROWLER

ZoMbSta

Awards
so the end story is to not take vits with iron??..anything else?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wudog Supplements 24
botk1161 Supplements 30
Wudog Supplements 13
Wudog Supplements 0
Wudog Supplements 0