Best time to take Multi Vits...

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chevelleman
    I use the opti-men multi and really like it. I usually take one in the morning with breakfast and one at night with supper or a little after.
    Hi chevelleman--I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, but what is it about "opti-men multi" that you really like?

(I can't say I've ever actually noticed anything when taking multivitamins. I only take them because people say it's healthy to do so.)

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyToad
    Here, I'll help you guys out:

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.as...9&cid=67&lbl=1

It's what I use. A good multi where a full dose is 6 tablets... so you got options. I do 2 tabs with meals 3x a day.
    For men, I think this is not a good choice. Men should not take a supplement with iron. Men get enough iron through food and taking excessive iron is not healthy. Puritan makes some iron-free multis though. The Puritan line is a good value.

I also like NOW Foods supplements. For a twice-daily multi consider this: http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=item...&item_id=13687
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GuyinLA
    For men, I think this is not a good choice. Men should not take a supplement with iron. Men get enough iron through food and taking excessive iron is not healthy. Puritan makes some iron-free multis though. The Puritan line is a good value.

I also like NOW Foods supplements. For a twice-daily multi consider this: http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=item...&item_id=13687
    I think that's splitting hairs to be honest, but if thats really a concern for you then by all means go iron-free.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyToad
    I think that's splitting hairs to be honest, but if thats really a concern for you then by all means go iron-free.
    With all due respect, this really isn't splitting hairs. Lots of info out there but below is an excerpt from the National Institutes of Health website. It isn't hard to find iron-free multis, so it just makes sense for men to avoid iron.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

Who should be cautious about taking iron supplements?

Iron deficiency is uncommon among adult men and postmenopausal women. These individuals should only take iron supplements when prescribed by a physician because of their greater risk of iron overload. Iron overload is a condition in which excess iron is found in the blood and stored in organs such as the liver and heart. Iron overload is associated with several genetic diseases including hemochromatosis, which affects approximately 1 in 250 individuals of northern European descent [67]. Individuals with hemochromatosis absorb iron very efficiently, which can result in a build up of excess iron and can cause organ damage such as cirrhosis of the liver and heart failure [1,3,67-69]. Hemochromatosis is often not diagnosed until excess iron stores have damaged an organ. Iron supplementation may accelerate the effects of hemochromatosis, an important reason why adult men and postmenopausal women who are not iron deficient should avoid iron supplements. Individuals with blood disorders that require frequent blood transfusions are also at risk of iron overload and are usually advised to avoid iron supplements.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by badmofaux
    Hi chevelleman--I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, but what is it about "opti-men multi" that you really like?

(I can't say I've ever actually noticed anything when taking multivitamins. I only take them because people say it's healthy to do so.)
    No offense takin. I was just saying what kind I take, but I have felt better since taking this certain multi. Just felt more energetic than usual(may be placebo). I have tried several different brands and this one I have been sticking with, thats all. Nice avatar by the way I love Spaceballs!
  6. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Have to agree on the iron free. My father was taking geritol and ended up in the hospital. Stopped the Geritol on Drs advice and problem gone.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  7. Registered User
    Answers

so the end story is to not take vits with iron??..anything else?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best time to take M1T
    By Spitdeath in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM
  2. When is the Best time to take Multi Vitamins?
    By Kam in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-29-2006, 03:24 PM
  3. Best time to take Fenugreek???
    By BLsGalant97 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
  4. best time to take nolva?
    By bep1414 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 06:20 AM
  5. (Bobo or anyone): When is the best time to take in fats?
    By adrenalinaddict in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM