High Protein Diets Need Calcium

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
**Study found with help of jboldman, Mod @ CEM, but this shows the importance of calcium when consuming large amounts of protein. We know high protein diets can pull calcium into the blood, potentially leading to kidney stones, but this also means your bones are lacking calcium. This is another argument for using a protein supplement in milk, other than post workout. Also, note the effects of protein on IGF-1, interesting.**

J Nutr 2003 Mar;133(3):852S-4S Related Articles, Links

Interaction of dietary calcium and protein in bone health in humans.

Dawson-Hughes B.

Calcium and Bone Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA.

Protein has both positive and negative effects on calcium balance, and the net effect of dietary protein on bone mass and fracture risk may be dependent on the dietary calcium intake. In addition to providing substrate for bone matrix, dietary protein stimulates the production of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), a factor that promotes osteoblast-mediated bone formation. Protein also increases urinary calcium losses, by several proposed mechanisms. Increasing calcium intake may offset the negative impact of dietary protein on urinary calcium losses, allowing the favorable effect of protein on the IGF-1 axis to dominate. Several, although not all, studies are either compatible with or support this hypothesis. Protein supplements significantly reduced bone loss in elderly hip-fracture patients in a study in which both the protein and control groups received supplemental calcium. In an observational study, total protein intake was positively associated with favorable 3-y changes in femoral neck and total body bone mineral density in volunteers who received supplemental calcium citrate malate and vitamin D, but not in volunteers taking placebos. In conclusion, an adequate calcium intake may help promote a favorable effect of dietary protein on the skeleton in older individuals.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Good thing I've been taking my calcium sup. ;)

Any idea how much would be required to reap the benefits? Currently I use 1000mg of Calcium Citrate just before bed.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Good thing I've been taking my calcium sup. ;)

Any idea how much would be required to reap the benefits? Currently I use 1000mg of Calcium Citrate just before bed.
Im sure its dependant upon how much protein you are taking in, I would think a 1 gram supplement, plus the plethora amounts of calcium average bodybuilders get. Also, remember to get plenty of water.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I can see popping a few 1000mg's here and there throughout the day, definitely... much more necessary than something like extra chromium, that's for sure... maybe an article is in order

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
yup. true a high protein consumption will decrease the human's absorption of calcium. also a diet high in fiber will combine with calcium in the intestines and form a compoung the body cant absorb (calcium-phytic acid). Another is caffeine (does so by increasing the urine you excrete, which leads to more loss of calcium). Sodium will increase urnary excretion of calcium as well. These are the main ones....while compounds found in green "leafy" vegetables (i believe they are called oxalic acids) will combine with calcium during digestion and make insoluble salts. Sage

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Yes calcium is definitely a plus on a high protein diet , I take my calcium supplement after workout and before bed, 1500grams both times.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
ooopsss my shitty mistake , mg :) lol thanks for noticing draven boy

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Regarding ZMA and calcium...

I try to take a mixed protein right before bed, for longer digestion. I notice that one of them is Calcium Caseinate. Will the calcium in this interfere with the absorption of the ZMA?

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Yes it will , calcium interferes with ZMA , so is better to take your ZMA before that last meal of the day.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, the Zinc and the Magnesium part...just not the Aspartate. I always take 500mg Magnesium, 50 Zincmg and 25mg b6 before bedtime. I guess I just dig the bizarre dreams.

shpongled

Awards
You should be taking in about a gram of calcium per 50 g of protein. Also, to avoid bone loss when taking this much calcium, the ideal calcium:magnesium ratio is 1:1 and should be at most 2:1. On top of that, high calcium intake can cause vitamin D deficiency so you should look for a brand of calcium that contains vitamin D. An interesting article on calcium, protein, and bone loss:

http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/prot-calc/prot-calcium-loss-1a.shtml

A few more things to keep in mind when taking calcium supps -

1)Calcium carbonate is not very bioavailable, you should try to get some citrate or ascorbate. These are much more expensive, so I use some of each.

2)Calcium should be taken in conjunction with milk for maximum bioavailability.

David

shpongled

Awards
Well, the Zinc and the Magnesium part...just not the Aspartate. I always take 500mg Magnesium, 50 Zincmg and 25mg b6 before bedtime. I guess I just dig the bizarre dreams.
If it's magnesium oxide or chelate, those are not very bioavailable at all. Aspartate is the best, citrate is also good. For the zinc, you can buy OptiZinc for pretty cheap (that's the DL form that is supposed to be more bioavailable). Go to www.puritan.com or www.iherb.com and run a search for Optizinc.

David