Chromium question

CREAO

Awards
How would one go taking this? How many Mg should I take ....when to take it ...etc

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I don't know of any special way of taking it but I just take 300 to 500 mg a day. Some people supposedly take upwards of a gram per day but to me, that's a lot of little pills for not much effect.

the Cardinal

Awards
How would one go taking this? How many Mg should I take ....when to take it ...etc
The three forms of chromium supplements that I'm familiar with are picolinate, GTF, and polynicotinate. All are dosed in micrograms (mcg), not milligrams (mg) (1000 mcg = 1 mg). When used to increase insulin sensitivity, a minimum of 200 mcg/meal is the recommended dose.

I have read literature that recommended up to 1000 mcg/day for individuals with type 2 diabetes.

CREAO

Awards
yea I was wondering because my sister has juvenile diabetes and I was reading up on chromium and thought it may help her.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
yea I was wondering because my sister has juvenile diabetes and I was reading up on chromium and thought it may help her.
I have read that people with diabetes should stay away from it.....make sure you really look into it before she takes any

velikimajmun

Board Sponsor
Awards

This won't help juvenile diabetes (ie type I). For type II it could be ok

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think you may get tha most results by stacking 200mcg of Chromium with 20 mg Vanadyl Sulfate 3x a day with carb meals... I've used it with decent success before R-ALA became all tha rage with lowering blood sugar.

I know Chromium has been identified as a mutagen as well as toxicity reports, but I think you're fine as long as you cycle with with everything else, every 4-6 weeks.

the Cardinal

Awards
I know Chromium has been identified as a mutagen as well as toxicity reports, but I think you're fine as long as you cycle with with everything else, every 4-6 weeks.
You make a good point about the potential toxicity of chromium in excessive dosages. There shouldn't be any problems for the average person at 400 - 600 mcg/day, and as previously stated, up to 1000mcg/day is being prescribed for certain people with certain conditions.

Without getting into this too deeply, it's the hexavalent form of chromium (the type found on car bumpers) that exhibits mutagenic properties in a dose dependent fashion, as opposed to the trivalent form, which is the form of chromium commonly found in food. There is no evidence that I'm aware of that trivalent chromium exhibits a similar toxicity.

A single dose of up to 200 mcg daily from a chromium supplement shouldn't be harmful (although it's unclear how helpful it might be for someone with Type I diabetes). However, I think beyond that, the original poster should discuss any additional chromium supplementation with his sister's doctor before resorting to self help.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Agreed Cardinal. Trivalent chromium "may" be toxic at absurd doses like a lot of other metallic minerals...selenium, copper, iron et cetera. Copper is an antioxidant at low 2 mcg doses but become a free radical generator and a carcinogen at high doses. Selenium will easily bioaccumulate at mega doses..particularly in women..and cause all sorts of problems.

Keep the doses in the sane range and all of those are good for you.