higher power r-ala

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
The price on this seems pretty low, just wondering if anyone has had good luck with it. I here so much about how it can degrade and how some r-ala is not all that pure.

BHERTZ

Awards
Not sure exactly what you mean by degrade or impure. Essentially what you are getting at is that chirality of any organic molecule which can be denoted as R or S. The human body almost always prefers R. (The naming doesnt really mean much, it's a lesson in stereochemistry which is the spatial relationships of side functional groups the carbon center.) S-ALA has been speculated to be neutral or actually adverse to the human body. That's why companies (not just in the ALA business) spend tons of $ making sure they have just R chirality in their compounds.

I may be answering the wrong question here, so feel free to ask again if I did just this.

Some people are quick to say it doesnt matter what you get (i.e. - buying generic ALA) but I am fairly convinced that R-ALA is the way to go. K-R-ALA is simply a salt form of R-ALA attached to K (Potassium). I have yet to read more about this further modification.

Higher Power has always worked fine for me, so I would not worry right now.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Not sure exactly what you mean by degrade or impure. Essentially what you are getting at is that chirality of any organic molecule which can be denoted as R or S. The human body almost always prefers R. (The naming doesnt really mean much, it's a lesson in stereochemistry which is the spatial relationships of side functional groups the carbon center.) S-ALA has been speculated to be neutral or actually adverse to the human body. That's why companies (not just in the ALA business) spend tons of $ making sure they have just R chirality in their compounds.

I may be answering the wrong question here, so feel free to ask again if I did just this.

Some people are quick to say it doesnt matter what you get (i.e. - buying generic ALA) but I am fairly convinced that R-ALA is the way to go. K-R-ALA is simply a salt form of R-ALA attached to K (Potassium). I have yet to read more about this further modification.

Higher Power has always worked fine for me, so I would not worry right now.

I'm sorry i didn't word that better, i have heard of companies bottling the generic version as pure R, i was just curious to see if people have had good results with this product becuase the price was rather inexpensive. I am always a little skeptical when price is good.

BHERTZ

Awards
I have a bunch of supps sitting on a shelf here and I was glancing through them. I have an Anabolic Pro-Line bottle of R-ALA while my NOW nutrition milk thistle blend has just regular alpha lipoic acid in it.

On the back of the R-ALA bottle it says that the active is specifically R-Alpha Lipoic Acid.

I believe they can not make false claims, so if it says R, its probably R. If I was a company I'd bank on the fact that most people are not informed or up to speed with their basic organic chemistry lol