Bovine spongiform encephalopathy from GF Pro??

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
Mad cow from GF Pro. Is it possible? GF Pro is sprayed with some bovine plasma, but could that include the mis-shaped prion proteins???

I am serious. :) I use GF Pro and was just thinking about it.

This is probably been answered before, but I came up with nothing on a search.

thanks.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Definitely possible, but it would be Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in a human which I believe you probably know already. Those prions are tough little bastards.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
the same issue was raised on the Liver Tabs - I believe the super freezing may kill any Mad Cow.. could be wrong though

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
From what I remember, nothing kills/destroys the prions.

uhockey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
From what I remember, nothing kills/destroys the prions.
They aren't even completely denatured by autoclaving, 2 year burial, or superfreezing. Literally burning them until they are completely incinerated is the only method we've discovered yet.

Regarding the disease from GF-pro.....seems pretty unlikely.

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like those lil prions are really tough bastards.
I doubt I or anyone would ever get vCJD from GF, but was just pondering. :) :burger:

Pax

Pax

Awards
  • Established
Well... give it 10-20 years since that seems to be the latency period anyway... Come back then and let us know ;)

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
It isn't found in the blood or liver. It's found in the neurological system of the cow. There's little risk unless you eat neurological tissue.