B12...?

Wolfe08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What are the benefits of taking B12 and why are people pinning it? to get a high Dose ? What for?

mab904

mab904

Awards
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. Cobalamin is the term used to refer to compounds having vitamin B12 activity.
Vitamin B12 requires a protein in the gastrointestinal tract that aids in absorption (intrinsic factor).
Hydrochloric acid also is necessary to split vitamin B12 from its peptide bonds. Atrophic gastritis results in a low acid-pepsin secretion by the gastric mucosa, which in turn results in a reduced release of free vitamin B12 from food protein to be absorbed. This condition is associated with advanced age.
Absorption of protein-bound vitamin B12 decreases with age or deficiency of iron or folic acid, and increases during pregnancy.
The body stores 2000 to 5000 mcg, primarily in the liver and kidneys, and excesses are excreted by way of kidney or in bile.

Vitamin B12 is connected to a conenzyme form and is essential for normal metabolism in all cells especially those of the gastrointestinal tract, bone marrow, and nervous system. The vitamin also functions in the transfer of methyl groups in the synthesis of nucleic acids, purines, and pyrimidine intermediates. Red blood cell formation and control of pernicious anemia.
Protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism.Converting homocysteine to methionine. Neurotransmitter synthesis.
Vitamin B12 alters neurotransmitter synthesis through S-adenosylmethionine.
Vitamins B12, B6 and folic acid work together to provide methyl groups in biological pathways and reduce homocysteine.

Injectable form may have better absobtion.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
From the research I've done it seems that injectable is the only form that is even worthwhile.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
To some degree, yes, but Oral b12 is supposedly worthless, whereas oral4ad is decent, trans 4ad is very effective, etc.

93cobra

Board Supporter
Awards
Cyanocobalamin injection is used to treat and prevent a lack of vitamin B12 that may be caused by any of the following: pernicious anemia (lack of a natural substance needed to absorb vitamin B12from the intestine); certain diseases, infections, or medications that decrease the amount of vitamin B12 absorbed from food; or a vegan diet (strict vegetarian diet that does not allow any animal products, including dairy products and eggs). Lack of vitamin B12 may cause anemia (condition in which the red blood cells do not bring enough oxygen to the organs) and permanent damage to the nerves. Cyanocobalamin injection also may be given as a test to see how well the body can absorb vitamin B12. Cyanocobalamin injection is in a class of medications called vitamins. Because it is injected straight into the bloodstream, it can be used to supply vitamin B12 to people who cannot absorb this vitamin through the intestine.

Information via Medline. For the rest of the info go to http://http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a605007.html

Phosphate bond

Awards
From the research I've done it seems that injectable is the only form that is even worthwhile.
You don't really need the injectable. Even the straight oral 2mg b-12 is working for elderly folks with pernicious anemia.

The sublingual might be even better.

Key is having a massive oral dose. (mg level)

Some injectable forms (hydroxy-cobalamin) have caused allergic type reactions.

1hotblackchick

Awards
i ordered b12 complex injectable through a vet site has anyone ever used that if so how much should i use its for animals

1hotblackchick

Awards
i ordered b12 complex off a vet site has anyone ever used b12 from the vet it for animals .how much should i use?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 6
Nutrition / Health 0
Nutrition / Health 0
Supplements 5
81dcs Supplements 5