Night time micellar protein drinks..anyone getting fat?

stratvox

stratvox

Awards
Ive been doing muscle milk shakes before i go to bed and swear that my fat content on my stomach has increased. I train 3-4 times per week and am seeing results otherwise. Anyone else get fat on this stuff?

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Its a PROTEIN SHAKE with some other **** in it.....excess calories make you fat, not muscle milk. If the extra calories from the muscle milk lead to an overall excess in calories, then you will add either a) muscle, or b) fat. Most likely both if you are doing things right. That said, drop the MM as its a rip off and just get some type of caseinate/milk isolate blend. Add any fat/carbs you want to it. Also, the lactose could add some degree of bloat but thats debatable.

Goat

Awards
Ive been doing muscle milk shakes before i go to bed and swear that my fat content on my stomach has increased. I train 3-4 times per week and am seeing results otherwise. Anyone else get fat on this stuff?
My secret recipe, I am taking this for cutting BTW:

1 scoop muscle milk
1 scoop ISS Casien Protein

enjoy

z28man

Awards
  • Established
They try to market it like the MCT will make you lean. Well, the carb sources are maltodextin and fructose. Definetly not the most ideal choices if youre trying to stay lean. I bought some of the Sci-Fit knock off stuff and just use half a serving to get some EFAs and a good mix of proteins. But I can only imagine what taking a full serving of that stuff everynight before bed would do to my midsection. I would use it sparingly.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
My secret recipe, I am taking this for cutting BTW:

1 scoop muscle milk
1 scoop ISS Casien Protein

enjoy
No thanks. It's way too much fat and sugars, I don't mind using it when I'm bulking, but when cutting? Not very smart.

stratvox

stratvox

Awards
Thanks for the feedback. I cant beleive i fell for the marketing nonsense. As far as it being a ripoff, I get the 2 pound container for about 16 bucks, so it seems priced ok. But, Its obvious that I need to cut back on the night time stuff. Scary thing is Im probably only consuming 3k calories, not really bulking, definitely not cutting right now. Trying to grow slowly. I guess a full diet modification is in order. Thanks a gain

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Strat - at that price, MM is a great buy for a trial, IMO.

I love the taste of MM.

It's pretty much best for a shake during the day. It's not really good for pre-WO or before bed (as mentioned). Perhaps 1st thing in the AM.

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
Strat - at that price, MM is a great buy for a trial, IMO.

I love the taste of MM.

It's pretty much best for a shake during the day. It's not really good for pre-WO or before bed (as mentioned). Perhaps 1st thing in the AM.
Yah im gonna agree, it tastes the best, but for pre-workout.... i wouldnt.. it is very heavy and thick, i can feel it settling in my gut when i have it

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cottage Cheese is your friend. Much cheaper and much healthier. Plus it has the slow digesting proteins.

Bobby Nevada

Awards
Cottage Cheese is your friend. Much cheaper and much healthier. Plus it has the slow digesting proteins.
Friendship 1% No Salt Added is my favorite friend. It's the only non-salted cottage cheese that I know of. Add a little Splenda and I'm gtg. :thumbsup:

Big_Spaz

Big_Spaz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Check out Syntrax Matrix 5.0. Also a great blend to use before bedtime.

-Spaz

cubbybear

Awards
I tried the Muscle Milk about 4 years ago and yeah it tasted good but so do a lot of others out there. I was also taking it before bed but after a while got away from it. I thought I wasn't losing weight as quickly while taking it. For a while there, the expensive new night-time proteins had become all the rage, but I have since gone back to not eating before bedtime as the old way works better for me. I've also heard that your stomach really needs time to rest when it's not busy digesting something, which is something that I hadn't heard before. That came from a nutritionist who was working with my grandfather who had just been put on a feeding tube because he could no longer swallow, and we were talking about it, so I don't know if applies as much to a normal healthy person but it might make some sense. Since I eat smaller meals every couple hours all day long, I figure I may as well let it rest at night. If I absolutely have to have something closer to bedtime though I try to get a slower digesting protein or a little cottage cheese instead of the traditional unhealthy snacks.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Evopro, also from Cytosport, is a better choice than Muscle Milk for bedtime IMO... however, I recently switched from Evopro to ON's 100% Casein product myself.

93cobra

Board Supporter
Awards
I would have to agree with what most of you are saying about MM. I also get it really cheap so it works out for me not to mention you can't beat the taste of Cookies and Cream. I use it when I am bulking though. That being said I did notice a little bit of extraneous fat when on it but it came of fairly easy. I was also taking it right before bed to get me through 8 hour fast.

Phosphate bond

Awards
I don't like all the canola oil they put in that one.

Milk protein isolate gets the job done and is 80% micellar casein. Cheap too.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't know what else you guys gaining fat of MM are eating, but I use Mm as my main protein supp, and whether I'm bulking or leaning out it works fine for me.. I'm currently using a scoop each of Evopro and Optimum 100% rocky road before bed, only because I've tried every flavor of MM, and I'm tired of it at the moment.. ;)

whatastud08

whatastud08

Awards
  • Established
MM does have somewhat of a high fat content, but fat isnt always the enemy, especially if your bulking. Fat gain is to be expected if your really looking for size, however if you feel you are putting more fat on than you should then you should probably start eating low fat Cottage Cheese before or switch to a night time protein that is lower in fat and carb content. Washing your cottage cheese in a strainer before hand is also a good idea if you go that route.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I suggest a re-evaluation of total caloric intake for the day before mixin' the Muscle Milk before bed.. Medium chain Tryglycerides(sp) can't be stored as fat, so ****-all about the fat content.. I've actually used MCT oil while dieting mixed with olive oil on grilled veggies or to bump up my fat intake while on a really low-carb diet.. This ****'s almost as bad as the "all methyls are toxic" banter, just makes my nuts itch.. :aargh: