Hyaluronic Acid and Hair?

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
I read some comments on the board about hyaluronic acid being used for joint problems. Someone mentioned that as a side effect, he thought his skin looked better after a while.

Has anyone noticed any change in hair? See also below:

Scalp Tissue and Hair Follicles

"Structurally the scalp is identical to the skin tissue located throughout the body except it also contains about 100,000 hair follicles that give rise to hair. Actually the hair and the hair follicle are a derivative of skin tissue. There are two distinctive skin layers, one, the epidermis (outer layer) which gives rise to the protective shield of the body and the other, the dermal layer (deep layer) which makes up the bulk of the skin and is where the hair follicle is located. This dermal layer is composed of connective tissue and the connective tissue, with its gelatinous fluid like characteristics provides support, nourishes and hydrates the deep layers of the scalp. The result is healthy lustrous hair and a moisturized scalp. Again, all of this is made possible because of the presence of HA in the scalp tissue and its ability to form this fluid and hold water."
http://www.hyalogic.com/aboutha.htm

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
It's true about the skin. I once worked on a formulation that used it to cancel the adverse effects of strongly caustic topical meds like gycolic acid and retinoids. I'd think it would benefit hair too at least indirectly. Wounds heal quickly when it is supplied mainly due to the enhanced collagen synthesis.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. How much was in your formulation? Most labels say to use 50mg per day.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. How much was in your formulation? Most labels say to use 50mg per day.
I'd have to check (I don't remember off hand) but it was definitely less than 50mg/ml (5%)

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to check (I don't remember off hand) but it was definitely less than 50mg/ml (5%)
I think he meant 50mg in caps or some other orally administered form. This route is worthless or so has been my experience. I notice a slight improvement in skin(more pliable) when injecting it for bad knee.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I think he meant 50mg in caps or some other orally administered form. This route is worthless or so has been my experience. I notice a slight improvement in skin(more pliable) when injecting it for bad knee.
I meant in a topical formula, but I agree that orally 50mg is nothing. The sodium form is orally active but at least 250mg is required IMO.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Doc! So I think you're saying to try 250mg or more orally ED.

(And yes, I was referring to 50mg capsules earlier).

P.S. ersatz- I was asking about hair, not necessarily skin.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Doc! So I think you're saying to try 250mg or more orally ED.

(And yes, I was referring to 50mg capsules earlier).

P.S. ersatz- I was asking about hair, not necessarily skin.
I shave my head or have it cropped very short so I wouldn't know anything about it making hair more lustrous. Definetely doesn't make it grow any faster.

I've used 300mg/daily for a month with effects nowhere near that of injectable. I can't recall if it was the sodium version or not and I no longer have the bottles. They were some cheap ones from a chain store like Vitamin World or Planet or something along those lines.