What do you eat in the middle of the night?

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for advice on anything healthy that can be eaten during those times you wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I've tried various things to sleep through the night to avoid this, like Hoodia, sleeping pills, no caffeine 4 hours before bed, etc., but for whatever reason many nights I just can’t sleep all night. So I'm looking for a way to reduce the harm, since sleepwalking to the cabinet and grabbing a Pop-Tart is not acceptable. Any and all help is very, very welcomed! Thanks.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for advice on anything healthy that can be eaten during those times you wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I've tried various things to sleep through the night to avoid this, like Hoodia, sleeping pills, no caffeine 4 hours before bed, etc., but for whatever reason many nights I just can’t sleep all night. So I'm looking for a way to reduce the harm, since sleepwalking to the cabinet and grabbing a Pop-Tart is not acceptable. Any and all help is very, very welcomed! Thanks.
Have you tried Casien? Durring bulking I use 14oz of skim, 40g of casien, .5 cup of oats. Now, durring a cut I use just water and 2 scoops of casien and .25 cup of oats just for thickness.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
steak and eggs.

nah, i dunno. i sleep good. before bed, i have a 20oz skim milk, 4 whole egg, 1 scoop whey shake. keeps me from getting hungry.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have you tried Casien? Durring bulking I use 14oz of skim, 40g of casien, .5 cup of oats. Now, durring a cut I use just water and 2 scoops of casien and .25 cup of oats just for thickness.
I hate to ask, since I'm sure it's basic knowledge, but are there different types of oats, and how are you preparing that?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I eat cottage cheese before bed for my casien but I walways wake up in the middle of the night hungry. I usually grab a small bowl of shredded wheat or shredded oat squares with just a little milk. Sometimes I grab a brownie or somethin and feel guilty so I wake my wife up and burn off some calories on (in) her. ;)

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I hate to ask, since I'm sure it's basic knowledge, but are there different types of oats, and how are you preparing that?
I put 14 oz of water in blender, add in oats (Thick rolled oats, not instanized quaker stuff) turn on blender to low and then add protein powder, if you were to toss in powder it will float to top and stick to sides and spray when blender is first turned on - basic knowledge right... should see how much protein my buddys waste by not slowly adding in to a running blender.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I put 14 oz of water in blender, add in oats (Thick rolled oats, not instanized quaker stuff) turn on blender to low and then add protein powder, if you were to toss in powder it will float to top and stick to sides and spray when blender is first turned on - basic knowledge right... should see how much protein my buddys waste by not slowly adding in to a running blender.
never had that problem personally. i throw all my **** in there at once with the oats on top covering the protein powder.
hasn't flown everywhere so far.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I will give that a try. But I do have a couple more questions about mistakes I apparently have been making. Can I get these type oats at the average grocery store/super store? I have been buying the Quaker oats, but not the 1 minute type, the other that take 2-3 minutes in the microwave, and having those for breakfast. Also, I thought it was a good idea to limit carbs before bed. So the type oats you talk about are OK because they are a low GI type food? Thanks for the help!

WhutEvr

Awards
  • Established
4-6 ounces of turkey breast before bed and I sleep like a baby and don't wake up starving.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmmm. That would solve my carb question too. Isn't there something in turkey that promotes sleep as well, or was that disproven lately?

tlow4u

Awards
I eat nonfat cottage cheese right before bed, and when I wake up in the middle of the night, which happens frequently.

Nonfat cottage cheese has slow digesting protein w/a little bit of carbs seems to get/keep me sleeping better.

SVTMuscle

SVTMuscle

Awards
Low fat cottage cheese and an apple.
or a nice shake with 1% milk and natural peanut butter, that fills me up real nice

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lowfat cottage cheese+canned pumpkin+Splenda+vanilla+cinnamon (helps with the carbs in the pumpkin)= mmm, good night snack. You can make a "crust by food-processor(ing) almonds (and a touch of salt) and then tamping them flat in a pie tin with wax paper. Or you can just add a little milk and make a shake.

DR X

Awards
I eat low fat cottege cheese right before bed and I always have a protein shake sitting on my dresser that I will down when I wake up in the middle of the night.

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
DR X you are the man...lol

all of these years and I never thought of something so simple as a ready-made shake bedside...good call bro

I happen to have a mini-fridge right next to my bed where I keep my late night foods such as protein pudding made with casein or lowfat cottage cheese or plain fat-free yogurt etc...but I never thought of keeping a simple casein shake (or even whey for that matter) ready to go in the door.

I'm done ranting now :rant:

regards,
COTC