Canadian Whey Review: Houseman/Vantedge Nutrition's Vanilla & Chocolate concentrate

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Canadian Whey Review: Houseman/Vantedge Nutrition's Vanilla & Chocolate concentrate

^^^ This is a new Canadian whey supplier, owned and operated by our very own Houseman. They're not set up for retail shipments yet, but he is selling pre-opening samples if you contact him.

I was getting sick of paying local store prices and I didn't want to pay customs duties or cross-country shipping for my protein powder. Enter houseman... he told me about a company he is starting that is producing and packaging whey concentrates and isolates for the Canadian market. He sent me a few sample packs and they were excellent; definitely good enough for me to try an order. $5 / lb for concentrate is half the price of the best store in town.

Review: Vantedge Nutrition's Whey Concentrate

Taste, Vanilla (9/10): Really a quality vanilla flavor here. I wouldn't say it is like a freshly opened Tahitian vanilla bean.. more like a birthday cake. Yup, tastes like birthday cake. Sort of like Betty Crocker vanilla icing out of the tub. Easily one of the best, if not the best, vanilla whey I've tried.

Taste, Chocolate (7/10): It is a good chocolate taste, just a bit weak for me. I mentioned this to houseman and he said they will certainly look into this before the final production. If they don't change it, he said there will also be flavor packs available for those that like it stronger. I'm sure many would be satisfied with how it is.. but it isn't quite to the potency of Hershey's chocolate milk. I would buy it again because it is a quality cocoa flavor-- it doesn't smell cheap or "off" like some brands.

Mixability (10/10): Simply impressive. I don't think I've had another brand that mixes so easily. 10 seconds of shaking and it is super smooth. I bet it would work with a spoon, but I use shaker cups. Amazing mixability.

Value (9/10): Excellent price, even with shipping. I wish the zip bags were a bit higher quality, and there is no scoop. No big deal.

Overall Rating: 9/10

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow. Thanks for such a wonderful review.

Up there as one of the best, most thoughtout ones we've read yet :)

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
And you were right... I looked again and there were 3 scoops in the bottom of the box :thumbsup:

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Excellent :)
:box:

Seriously guys, i just went today and forked over 60$ for 5lbs of
sensation 81 (ultimate nutrition) Which really insnt that good.

I will definately be a reg customer.. My local supp store sells 5lbs of
nitro tech for 100$+ seriously
And i talked to ATW, shipping that dosent take the rest of my life costs as
much as the protein does.

Thank god for canadian protein!

PS can you make sure it has some digestive enzymes in it? i got gas right now
cause of the cheapo whey i just bought.

right then
:dance:

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
>>Seriously guys, i just went today and forked over 60$ for 5lbs of sensation 81 (ultimate nutrition) Which really insnt that good.

Since I got my shipment, I tossed out 1/2 a tub of undrinkable banana PVL this morning. Normally I would save it somewhere in a cabinet in case I ever ran out, but the thought of drinking it again wasn't appetizing at all. It was twice the price of Vantedge's product.

ps. I'm liking the chocolate the more I drink it.. but wifey agreed, needs more choco-power

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:box:

Seriously guys, i just went today and forked over 60$ for 5lbs of
sensation 81 (ultimate nutrition) Which really insnt that good.

I will definately be a reg customer.. My local supp store sells 5lbs of
nitro tech for 100$+ seriously
And i talked to ATW, shipping that dosent take the rest of my life costs as
much as the protein does.

Thank god for canadian protein!

PS can you make sure it has some digestive enzymes in it? i got gas right now
cause of the cheapo whey i just bought.

right then
:dance:
We're working on a probiotic version of our Isolate right now. Not likely to be ready anytime soon and have to really educate people on the benefits of it over regular isolate but there is an application for it being needed no doubt.

It's especially great for people (not just people who train and workout) who have immune illnessness.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
I am available part time as an R&D Consultant

And you were right... I looked again and there were 3 scoops in the bottom of the box
OK I thought of something that will turn the supplement industry on it's head with innovation.

Why not include 3 different sized scoops instead of 3 of the same?

22g, 30g, 45g for example.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
What the hell for? lol
Different size shakes for different size people? If you're going to include 3 scoops, why bother with 3 of the same size? No one offers a 45g scoop, but that is my normal size shake. You would singlehandedly save me the hassle of double dipping each time I had to drink my whey. Thank you for your support.

:cheers:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Different size shakes for different size people? If you're going to include 3 scoops, why bother with 3 of the same size? No one offers a 45g scoop, but that is my normal size shake. You would singlehandedly save me the hassle of double dipping each time I had to drink my whey. Thank you for your support.

:cheers:
LOL.

I agree on the one, larger scoop but three difference sizes? Seems odd.

Maybe I'll put out a survey and see many would find this useful ;)

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
spitboy is seeming strange, a little.

Hey I really need to get my protein cheaper than... Concentrate for 10$ / lb.

Hit me with mail, houseman?

Thanks

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
spitboy is seeming strange, a little.

Hey I really need to get my protein cheaper than... Concentrate for 10$ / lb.

Hit me with mail, houseman?

Thanks
Can't email without your email address.

Can't message you without you having that privledge.

:(

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm sure I adjusted my profile to say I wanted to receive emails. Hit me at [email protected]

Question : are there synthetic/artificial sweeteners or flavours in this? I am allergic....

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Got your addy. Go ahead and delete it.

No different than what might be in other protein powders.

Best I can do is send you samples packs of both vanilla and chocolate and see how you respond?

A

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
spitboy is seeming strange, a little
That in itself isn't strange at all.

Hit houseman up.. after living with the products for a while, I'd have to say it is the best whey protein powder I've ever used. It mixes immediately and tastes great. The chocolate has grown on me quite a bit, I'd probably give it an 8/10 now.

I'll be making another order in a few weeks.. you can't beat $5 CDN a pound for this quality.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ordered some today.. im stoked to try it out.. man im so sick of paying out the ass for crappy protein!@

Great prices, great customer service so far, will update on taste and shipping and the such.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Any plans for a casein based product?
Question: How would you feel about Milk Protein Concentrate (80%) instead of Casein?

Would likely be priced close to that of Whey Concentrate :)

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Question: How would you feel about Milk Protein Concentrate (80%) instead of Casein?

Would likely be priced close to that of Whey Concentrate :)
What is the mixibility like? I haven't read much about it, but I remember one review lately saying TP's MPC turned to goo if you let it sit for a few minutes after mixing. I don't mind having a casein blend that is a little chalky... so if the MPC is at least as good as a casein blend as far as texture, I would be good with that.

Right now my favorite non-whey is Ultra Peptide vanilla.. if it compares favorably to that, I'm in.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What is the mixibility like? I haven't read much about it, but I remember one review lately saying TP's MPC turned to goo if you let it sit for a few minutes after mixing. I don't mind having a casein blend that is a little chalky... so if the MPC is at least as good as a casein blend as far as texture, I would be good with that.

Right now my favorite non-whey is Ultra Peptide vanilla.. if it compares favorably to that, I'm in.
Casesin truly is a great product but given the price of pure casesin (about $13/lb) it can get expensive very quickly and the Canadian market isn't as up to speed on these products as those in the US.

But, MPC would be a suitable alternative for those looking for a slow absorbing, yet quality protein.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Casesin truly is a great product but given the price of pure casesin (about $13/lb) it can get expensive very quickly and the Canadian market isn't as up to speed on these products as those in the US.

But, MPC would be a suitable alternative for those looking for a slow absorbing, yet quality protein.
Does it mix easily?
Is the texture decent?
Does it taste good?

If your MPC gets three "YES" marks, then I'd buy it. I'm sure you'll try it before you sell it so you can give objective answers :)

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If your MPC gets three "YES" marks, then I'd buy it. I'm sure you'll try it before you sell it so you can give objective answers :)
As will you because I'll send you some :)

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Got my protein today after much delay due to my old roomates bastardness.
Just tried chocolate, will try vanilla later

Taste: 8 out of 10

Tastes WAY better than any other chocolate protein i have used

Mixability: 10 out of 10

Mixes no problem.. no chunks.. no lumps

Value: 9 out of 10
Better than anything else i can get for a comparible price, but shipping was a tad much

Good stuff. you got yourself a repeat customer!

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tried the vanilla today..

Probably the best vanilla i have ever tasted. Mixed with water it had no whey or aspratame aftertaste.. im very impressed!

BTW i think the website is

vantedgenutrition.com