Bovine Colostrum

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Now I'll freely admit I haven't done much research on bovine colostrum as a worthwhile supplement, just keeping myself busy here... but as far as I can tell there hasn't been much discussion about it yet in this, the greatest of all bb forums, either... so I wanted to slap up a string of studies for reference purposes. There are some points of interest in there I think, all conclusions should be in bold... seems a little iffy as to overall efficacy, and I believe it's not the cheapest thing around but like I said I'm not all that keen on it as of yet... this string of studies suggests to me that long term supplementation can possibly enhance recovery, what do you all think?
---------------
Minor improvements in elite field hockey athletes here...
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2002 Dec;12(4):461-9
The effect of bovine colostrum supplementation on exercise performance in elite field hockey players.

Hofman Z, Smeets R, Verlaan G, V d Lugt R, Verstappen PA.

Numico Research, Bosrandweg 20, 6704 PH, Wageningen, The Netherlands.

In a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study, we investigated the effect of 8 weeks of supplementation with bovine colostrum (Intact ) on body composition and exercise performance (5 3 10-m sprint, vertical jump, shuttle-run test, and suicide test). Seventeen female and 18 male elite field hockey players, including players from the Dutch national team, received either 60 g of colostrum or whey protein daily. The 5 3 10-m sprint test performance improved significantly (p =.023) more in the colostrum group [0.64 0.09 s (mean SEM)] compared to the whey group (0.33 0.09 s). The vertical jump performance improved more in the colostrum group (2.1 0.73 cm) compared to the whey group (0.32 0.82 cm). However, this was not statistically significant (p =.119). There were also no significant differences in changes in body composition and endurance tests between the 2 groups. It is concluded that in elite field hockey players, colostrum supplementation improves sprint performance better than whey. However, there were no differences with regard to body composition or endurance performance.
-------------

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Increases in blood buffer capacity with this one.. may help with quicker recovery in the long term...
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2002 Sep;12(3):349-65
Oral bovine colostrum supplementation enhances buffer capacity but not rowing performance in elite female rowers.

Brinkworth GD, Buckley JD, Bourdon PC, Gulbin JP, David A.

Centre for Research in Education and Sports Science at the University of South Australia, Adelaide 5032, South Australia.

A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled design was used in which 13 elite female rowers, all of whom had competed at World Championships, were supplemented with 60 g day-1 of either bovine colostrum (BC; n = 6) or concentrated whey protein powder (WP; n = 7) during 9 weeks of pre-competition training. All subjects undertook the study as a group and completed the same training program. Prior to, and after 9 weeks of supplementation and training, subjects completed an incremental rowing test (ROW1) on a rowing ergometer consisting of 3 3 4-min submaximal workloads and a 4-min maximal effort (4 max), each separated by a 1-min recovery period. The rowing test was repeated after a 15-min period of passive recovery (ROW2). The 4 max for ROW1 provided a measure of performance, and the difference between the 4 max efforts of ROW1 and ROW2 provided an index of recovery. Blood lactate concentrations and pH measured prior to exercise and at the end of each workload were used to estimate blood buffer capacity (beta). Food intake was recorded daily for dietary analysis. There were no differences in macronutrient intakes (p >.56) or training volumes (p >.99) between BC and WP during the study period. Rowing performance (distance rowed and work done) during 4 max of ROW2 was less than ROW1 at baseline (p <.05) but not different between groups (p >.05). Performance increased in both rows by Week 9 (p <.001), with no difference between groups (p >.75). However, the increase was greatest in ROW2 (p <.05), such that by Week 9 there was no longer a difference in performance between the two rows in either group (p >.05). b was not different between groups for ROW1 at baseline (BC 38.3 5.0, WP 38.2 7.2 slykes; p >.05) but was higher in BC by Week 9 (BC 40.8 5.9, WP 33.4 5.3 slykes; p <.05). b for ROW2 followed the same pattern of change as for ROW1. We conclude that supplementation with BC improves b (blood buffer capacity), but not performance, in elite female rowers. It was not possible to determine whether b had any effect on recovery.

------------------
hmm... this one again seems to support improvement after supping with colostrum in the long term...

J Sci Med Sport 2002 Jun;5(2):65-79
Bovine colostrum supplementation during endurance running training improves recovery, but not performance.

Buckley JD, Abbott MJ, Brinkworth GD, Whyte PB.

Centre for Research in Education and Sports Science, School of Physical Education Exercise and Sport Studies, University of South Australia, Adelaide.

This study examined the effect of supplementation with concentrated bovine colostrum protein powder (intact) on plasma insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) concentrations, endurance running performance and recovery. Thirty physically active males completed 8 weeks of running training whilst consuming 60 g x day(-1) of intact powder (n=17) or a concentrated whey protein powder placebo (n=13) in a randomised, double-blind, parallel design. Plasma IGF-I concentrations were measured prior to subjects performing two (approximately 30 min) incremental treadmill running tests to exhaustion (RUN1 and RUN2) separated by 20 min of passive recovery at Weeks 0. 4 and 8. Plasma IGF-I concentrations showed little change in either group (p=0.83). Effective peak running speed (PRSE; i.e. equivalent of peak power) during RUN1 was not different between groups at Week 0 (p>0.99), and had increased by a similar amount in both groups by Week 4 (mean+/-SD, intact 2.2+/-4.0%, placebo 3.2+/-3.3%; 95% confidence interval [95% CI 15.7 to -13.7%; p=0.89) and Week 8 (intact 3.6+/-5.6%, placebo 3.4+/-4.4 %; 95% CI -100.0 to 100.0%; p>0.99). PRSE was less in both groups during RUN2 (p<0.05), but was not significantly different between groups at Week 0 (p>0.99). PRSE during RUN2 tended to have increased more in the placebo group by Week 4 (intact 1.8+/-4.8%, placebo 4.2+/-3.9%; 95% CI 0.2 to -5 0%; p=0.07), but the intact group had increased PRSE significantly more by Week 8 (intact 4.6+/-6.1%, placebo 2.0+/-4.5%; 95% Cl 0.0 to 5.2%; p=0.05). resulting in a significantly faster PRSE (p=0.003). We conclude that supplementation with intact powder did not increase plasma IGF-I concentrations or improve performance during an initial bout of incremental running to exhaustion in our sample. However, performance during a second bout of exercise may be improved by as much as 5.2% in the average subject after 8 weeks of supplementation, possibly due to an enhancement of recovery.

--------------------
another, small but significant improvents were noted here as well in endurance cardio tests (cycling)

Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002 Jul;34(7):1184-8
Dose effects of oral bovine colostrum on physical work capacity in cyclists.

Coombes JS, Conacher M, Austen SK, Marshall PA.

School of Human Movement Studies, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Australia. [email protected]

PURPOSE: There is interest in the potential long-term use of dietary supplementation with bovine colostrum to enhance exercise performance. The purpose of the present study was to determine the dose effects of bovine colostrum on cycling performance. METHODS: Forty-two competitive cyclists were randomly divided into three groups and required to consume either 20 g/d bovine colostrum + 40 g whey protein concentrate (wpc), 60 g of bovine colostrum, or 60 g of wpc (placebo). Two measures were used to assess performance before (pre-) and after (post-) an 8-wk supplementation period. The first measure required subjects to complete two VO2max tests separated by 20 min with the amount of work completed in the second test used to evaluate performance. The second performance measure was the time to complete a work-based time trial following a 2-h cycle at 65% VO2max. Subjects were required to maintain their regular training and keep a food and training diary over the study period. RESULTS: After supplementation, the performance enhancement in Measure One was not statistically significantly different in the colostrum groups compared to the placebo group (placebo = 3.4%, 20 g = 4.0%, 60 g = 3.9%; 95% confidence interval (CI) for differences, +/-1.8%, P > 0.05). In performance Measure Two subjects in the 20 g and 60 g groups completed the time trial significantly (P < 0.05) faster post supplement compared to pre supplement (improvements in performance times, placebo = 37 s, 20 g = 158 s, 60 g = 134 s; 95% CI for differences, 47 s). CONCLUSION: Oral bovine colostrum supplementation at 20 g or 60 g/d provided a small but significant improvement in time trial performance in cyclists after a 2-h ride at 65% VO2max.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
hmm... mebbe increase lbm?
Nutrition 2001 Mar;17(3):243-7
The effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in active men and women.

Antonio J, Sanders MS, Van Gammeren D.

University of Delaware, Sports Science Laboratory, Newark, Delaware 19176, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of 8 wk of bovine colostrum supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in active men and women. Subjects were randomly assigned to a placebo (whey protein) and colostrum group (20 g/d in powder form). Each subject participated in aerobic and heavy-resistance training at least three times per wk. Body composition was assessed via dual x-ray absorptiometry analysis. Treadmill time to exhaustion, one repetition maximum strength (bench press), and the total number of repetitions performed during one set to exhaustion at a submaximal load for the bench press (50% and 100% of body weight for women and men, respectively) were ascertained. The whey protein group experienced a significant increase (P < 0.05) in body weight (mean increase of 2.11 kg), whereas the colostrum group experienced a significant (P < 0.05) increase in bone-free lean body mass (mean increase of 1.49 kg). There were no changes in any of the other parameters measured. Thus, supplementation with bovine colostrum (20 g/d) in combination with exercise training for 8 wk may increase bone-free lean body mass in active men and women.

---------------
here, colostrum seems to support serum IGF 1 increase

J Appl Physiol 2002 Aug;93(2):732-9
IGF-I, IgA, and IgG responses to bovine colostrum supplementation during training.

Mero A, Kahkonen J, Nykanen T, Parviainen T, Jokinen I, Takala T, Nikula T, Rasi S, Leppaluoto J.

Department of Biology of Physical Activity, 40351 Jyvaskyla, Finland. [email protected]

This study examined the effect of bovine colostrum (Dynamic colostrum) supplementation on blood and saliva variables (study 1) and the absorption of orally administered human recombinant insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I (rhIGF-I) labeled with 123I (123I-rhIGF-I) (study 2). In study 1, adult male and female athletes were randomly assigned in a double-blind fashion to either an experimental (Dynamic; n = 19) or a control (Placebo; n = 11) group. The former consumed daily 20 g of Dynamic supplement, and the latter 20 g of maltodextrin during a 2-wk training period. After bovine colostrum supplementation, significant increases were noticed in serum IGF-I (P < 0.01) and saliva IgA (P < 0.01) in Dynamic compared with Placebo. In study 2, gel electrophoresis was carried out in 12 adult subjects with serum samples taken 60 min after ingestion of 123I-rhIGF-I and showed peaks at 0.6 and at 40-90 kDa, with the former inducing 96% and the latter 4% of the total radioactivity. It was concluded that a long-term supplementation of bovine colostrum (Dynamic) increases serum IGF-I and saliva IgA concentration in athletes during training. Absorption data show that ingested 123I-rhIGF-I is fragmented in circulation and that no radioactive IGF-I is eluted at the positions of free, or the IGF, binding proteins, giving no support to the absorption of IGF-I from bovine colostrum.

----------------

but here, blood IGF 1 levels were NOT affected

Nutrition 2002 Jul-Aug;18(7-8):566-7
Effects of oral bovine colostrum supplementation on serum insulin-like growth factor-I levels.

Kuipers H, van Breda E, Verlaan G, Smeets R.

Department of Movement Sciences, PO Box 616, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands. [email protected]

OBJECTIVES: We investigated whether supplementation with 60 g/d of bovine colostrum affects blood levels of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF binding protein-3 in relation to doping testing. Nine endurance-trained men ingested 60 g/d of bovine colostrum for 4 wk. METHODS: Blood and urine were sampled before starting supplementation. After 4 wk urine and blood samples were taken after an overnight fast and 2 h after ingestion of the last portion to study possible acute effects. RESULTS: Blood IGF-I levels before supplementation were (mean +/- standard deviation) 31 +/- 13 nM/L, and no acute effects were observed after 4 wk of supplementation (33 +/- 9 nM/L). Levels of IGF-binding protein-3 were 136 +/- 11 nM/L before supplementation and 135 +/- 16 nM/L after 4 wk of supplementation. Two hours after ingestion of the last portion, the level of IGF binding protein-3 was 131 +/- 19 nM/L, which was not different from baseline values. Drug testing in a laboratory accredited by the International Olympic Committee did not show any forbidden substance before or after 4 wk of supplementation. CONCLUSIONS: Daily supplementation with 60 g of bovine colostrum for 4 wk does not change blood IGF-I or IGF binding protein-3 levels and does not elicit positive results on drug tests.

-------------------

Here's one I thought was particularly interesting... seems to suggest supping with colostrum helps protect from intestinal damage involved with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (nsaid's).

Clin Sci (Lond) 2001 Jun;100(6):627-33
Co-administration of the health food supplement, bovine colostrum, reduces the acute non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced increase in intestinal permeability.

Playford RJ, MacDonald CE, Calnan DP, Floyd DN, Podas T, Johnson W, Wicks AC, Bashir O, Marchbank T.

Department of Gastroenterology, Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W120NN, UK. [email protected]

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are effective analgesics but cause gastrointestinal injury. Present prophylactic measures are suboptimal and novel therapies are required. Bovine colostrum is a cheap, readily available source of growth factors, which reduces gastrointestinal injury in rats and mice. We therefore examined whether spray-dried, defatted colostrum could reduce the rise in gut permeability (a non-invasive marker of intestinal injury) caused by NSAIDs in volunteers and patients taking NSAIDs for clinical reasons. Healthy male volunteers (n=7) participated in a randomized crossover trial comparing changes in gut permeability (lactulose/rhamnose ratios) before and after 5 days of 50 mg of indomethacin three times daily (tds) per oral with colostrum (125 ml, tds) or whey protein (control) co-administration. A second study examined the effect of colostral and control solutions (125 ml, tds for 7 days) on gut permeability in patients (n=15) taking a substantial, regular dose of an NSAID for clinical reasons. For both studies, there was a 2 week washout period between treatment arms. In volunteers, indomethacin caused a 3-fold increase in gut permeability in the control arm (lactulose/rhamnose ratio 0.36+/-0.07 prior to indomethacin and 1.17+/-0.25 on day 5, P<0.01), whereas no significant increase in permeability was seen when colostrum was co-administered. In patients taking long-term NSAID treatment, initial permeability ratios were low (0.13+/-0.02), despite continuing on the drug, and permeability was not influenced by co-administration of test solutions. These studies provide preliminary evidence that bovine colostrum, which is already currently available as an over-the-counter preparation, may provide a novel approach to the prevention of NSAID-induced gastrointestinal damage in humans.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Here's another one supporting the one above, says again that results prove positive in colostrum protecting the gut/bowels from NSAID damages...

Gut 1999 May;44(5):653-8
Bovine colostrum is a health food supplement which prevents NSAID induced gut damage.

Playford RJ, Floyd DN, Macdonald CE, Calnan DP, Adenekan RO, Johnson W, Goodlad RA, Marchbank T.

University Division of Gastroenterology, Leicester General Hospital, Gwendolen Road, Leicester LE5 4PW, UK.

BACKGROUND: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are effective for arthritis but cause gastrointestinal injury. Bovine colostrum is a rich source of growth factors and is marketed as a health food supplement. AIMS: To examine whether spray dried, defatted colostrum or milk preparations could reduce gastrointestinal injury caused by indomethacin. METHODS: Effects of test solutions, administered orally, were examined using an indomethacin restraint rat model of gastric damage and an indomethacin mouse model of small intestinal injury. Effects on migration of the human colonic carcinoma cell line HT-29 and rat small intestinal cell line RIE-1 were assessed using a wounded monolayer assay system (used as an in vitro model of wound repair) and effects on proliferation determined using [3H]thymidine incorporation. RESULTS: Pretreatment with 0.5 or 1 ml colostral preparation reduced gastric injury by 30% and 60% respectively in rats. A milk preparation was much less efficacious. Recombinant transforming growth factor beta added at a dose similar to that found in the colostrum preparation (12.5 ng/rat), reduced injury by about 60%. Addition of colostrum to drinking water (10% vol/vol) prevented villus shortening in the mouse model of small intestinal injury. Addition of milk preparation was ineffective. Colostrum increased proliferation and cell migration of RIE-1 and HT-29 cells. These effects were mainly due to constituents of the colostrum with molecular weights greater than 30 kDa. CONCLUSIONS: Bovine colostrum could provide a novel, inexpensive approach for the prevention and treatment of the injurious effects of NSAIDs on the gut and may also be of value for the treatment of other ulcerative conditions of the bowel.

-------------------

Another one supporting the increase of SERUM IGF 1 levels in athletes...

J Appl Physiol 1997 Oct;83(4):1144-51

Effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on serum IGF-I, IgG, hormone, and saliva IgA during training.

Mero A, Miikkulainen H, Riski J, Pakkanen R, Aalto J, Takala T.

Department of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Jyvaskyla, 40351 Jyvaskyla, Finland.

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of bovine colostrum supplementation (Bioenervi) on serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), immunoglobulin G, hormone, and amino acid and saliva immunoglobulin A concentrations during a strength and speed training period. Nine male sprinters and jumpers underwent three randomized experimental training treatments of 8 days separated by 13 days. The only difference in the treatments was the drink of 125 ml consumed per day. Posttraining increases were noticed for serum IGF-I in the 25-ml Bioenervi treatment (125 ml contained 25 ml Bioenervi) and especially in the 125-ml Bioenervi treatment (125 ml contained 125 ml Bioenervi) compared with the placebo (normal milk whey) treatment (P < 0.05). The change in IGF-I concentration during the 8-day periods correlated positively with the change in insulin concentration during the same periods with 25-ml Bioenervi treatment (r = 0.68; P = 0.045) and with 125-ml Bioenervi treatment (r = 0.69; P = 0.038). Serum immunoglobulin G, hormone, and amino acid and saliva immunoglobulin A responses were similar during the three treatments. It appears that a bovine colostrum supplement (Bioenervi) may increase serum IGF-I concentration in athletes during strength and speed training

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I used colostrum last year, no noticeable effect. On paper, looks like a winner.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried it yet, but the studies seem to conflict each other.

Plus it's not cheap.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
I've used it to. But I'm curious, if it has the potential, where does the obstacle to efficacy really lay? It would be great if we could get half this stuff to do what it has the potential to do eh? ;)

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I wanna get my hands on some human colostrum, no doubt that would work.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Sorry guys, all these articles are junk, they're from Pubmed and uncited, good try though ;)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
man, ****... but you can see what journal's they're from?... where's my list of Credible Vs. Tainted & Untrustworthy Medical Publication's at?