using fenugreek for pct? take it pwo!

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
to paraphrase Author L. Rey, fenugreek seed contains the amino acid 4-Hydroxy-Isoluecine which exhibits potent insulinogenic effects capable of enhancing storage of nutrients (aminos, creatine, etc) in the muscle.

1 gram of fenugreek extract contains about 80-100mg of 4-H-I, and according to ALR 200mg is good lower-end dose. so take 4g of fenugreek extract PWO along with your shake and creatine which will yeild between 300-400mg of 4-H-I.

I'm going to try this on my next pct with 3g of CEE mixed in with some gatorade pwo and will report on how it goes.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You may find this of interest

The addition of fenugreek extract (Trigonella foenum-graecum) to glucose feeding increases muscle glycogen resynthesis after exercise.

Ruby BC, Gaskill SE, Slivka D, Harger SG.

Department of Health and Human Performance, The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana, U.S.A..

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of ingesting an oral supplement containing 4-Hydroxyisoleucine (4-OH-Ile, isolated from fenugreek seeds [Trigonella foenum-graecum]) with a glucose beverage on rates of post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis in trained male cyclists. Following an overnight fast (12 hr), subjects completed a 90-minute glycogen depletion ride after which a muscle biopsy was obtained from the vastus lateralis. Immediately and 2 hours after the muscle biopsy, subjects ingested either an oral dose of dextrose (Glu) (1.8 g.kg BW(-1)) or 4-OH-Ile supplement (Glu+4-OH-Ile, including 2.0 mg.kg(-1) 4-OH-Ile with the same oral dose of dextrose) with a second muscle biopsy 4 hours after exercise. Post exercise muscle glycogen concentration was similar for both trials. Overall, there was a significant increase in glucose and insulin concentrations from time 0 throughout the majority of the 4-hour recovery period, with no significant differences between the two trials at any time point. Although muscle glycogen concentration significantly increased from immediately post exercise to 4 hr of recovery for both trials, the net rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis was 63% greater during Glu+4-OH-Ile (10.6+/-3.3 vs. 6.5+/-2.6 g.kg wet wt.(-1).hr.(-1) for the Glu+4-OH-Ile and Glu trials, respectively). These data demonstrate that when the fenugreek extract supplement (4-OH-Ile) is added to a high oral dose of dextrose, rates of post-exercise glycogen resynthesis are enhanced above dextrose alone.

PMID: 15719265 [PubMed - in process]

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
1fast has 4-hydroxy Isoluecine but it's like $4/gram. Fenugreek in bulk from Kalyx is dirt cheap.

The syrup smell and increase in acne keep me from using it more.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Omar hasnt been on for a year so does anyone have any info about fenugreek pre or post workout?