Protease Enzyme and Kidney function

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
Would Protease Enzymes help the body eliminate protein waste from the bloodstream? I want to know because I am considering adding this to my supplement list to help lower my Blood-Urea Nitrogen (BUN) which is elevated only due to excess protein.

Thank you for your input.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Would Protease Enzymes help the body eliminate protein waste from the bloodstream? I want to know because I am considering adding this to my supplement list to help lower my Blood-Urea Nitrogen (BUN) which is elevated only due to excess protein.

Thank you for your input.
No. They help breakdown/digest proteins. Nitrogen is a byproduct of amino acid metabolism (deamination) after the digestion.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
They are usually used for people with decreased enzyme levels. If you have no preexisting condition i.e. pancreatic problems then you should already be producing sufficient enzymes to digest the protein you consume. I am not an expert, but I would venture that adding additional enzymes might increase the rate at which the proteins are broken down into tri & di peptides; they may also increase the amount of protein digested since the proteases will have access to the proteins for a longer period of time. So yes I think it possible that it may increase available amino acids and possibly an elevated BUN.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
As the others said, the enzymes wont help.

To reduce the BUN you should first drastically reduce your daily protein intake and then consume more water. Vitamins B and antioxidants helps the kidneys to a certain extent too.