ALCAR and ALA

Sleigh

Awards
Hey I want to start running an ALCAR and R-ALA stack. I ordered my ALCAR off 1fast and some R-ALA off UniversalKits and am currently waiting for the products to get here. While I wait I got a few questions

To be clear I plan to run ALCAR at an average of 2 - 3g a day. And additional 10g of Fish Oil and 550mcg of Biotin.

ok

R-ALA is going to put a bit of dent in my pocket if I run it at 500mg/day but its managable no question, however I would like to see if there is an alternative to this. I currently take 3 multivitamins that collectively at the dosages I take have 225mg of ALA and 15mg of Q10. Can I take R-ALA at 250mg and stack the ALA and Q10 on top of that throughout the day to protect from oxidation? If so am I running the chance of creating high levels of oxidation or would I generally be safe?

If this wont do will running R-ALA at 500mg/day be sufficient?

Thanks

Ryan

vision

S-ALA?

by S-ALA do you mean synthetic?? Because if so your body doesn't absorb synthetic at all...

http://www.r-lipoic.com/

R-ALA should be taken at 200mg x 3 times a day with meals... that is the maximum amount of R-ALA your body will use effectively....

Sleigh

Awards
Err, not synthetic I mean just normal ALA i thought S-ALA was regular ALA, I guess it isn't?So 600mg/day would be best, 500mg/day is nearly as good?

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
S-ALA = half the isomer, and not the known good half
R-ALA =good half

Sleigh

Awards
Ok I changed my post.

So running 500mg R-ALA and 225 ALA would yield 612.5mg of R-ALA and 112.5 S-ALA per day. Ok so I'm set then, thanks.

Additionally does anyone know where to get real cheap bulk R-ALA?

vision

you can't really buy bulk because R-ALA interacts with air in such a way that it becomes useless... i personally use AST R-ALA because there is no confusion about whether it is R or S...

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
The dose of coQ10 is insiginificant, you need 300-600mg/day. This can be prohibitively expensive though so a better alternative is Idebenone. It will inhibit/quench free radicals oxidation in mitochondria that the ALCAR produces. 60-100mg/day ois sufficient and will allow you to discard the ALA/r-ala/krala. It's my personal belief that the various forms of ala are worthless and the repartitioning effects are over hyped. It may be an effective anti-ox but there are better alternatives without the sides.

BigSwede

Awards
r-ALA is a potent a/o, so Co-Q10 wouldn't be a necessity. I love Co-Q10, but it's where the greatest expense lies. Idebenone can be bought in bulk and is unimodal with respect to oxidation. It cannot go oxidative under stress like Co-Q10.

I reach bowel tolerance quicker on Bulk Nutrition's r-ALA than any other ALA product -- which is indicative of efficacy, at least for me.

I would give BN's Propionyl-L-Carnitine a shot, amazing stuff. I'd like to see NutraPlanet carry PLCAR.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I would give BN's Propionyl-L-Carnitine a shot, amazing stuff. I'd like to see NutraPlanet carry PLCAR.
I always wonder which is the best form of carnitine and when I thought it was ALCAR, poof a new form appear.
Now, could u tell me what's different?

BigSwede

Awards
Endurance for one thing... I run stadium stairs 5x a week and my splits have decreased every single day since starting the PLCAR.

Sleigh

Awards
I ended up ordering some Idebedone from 1fast400 in addition to the R-ALA. I'm going to drop the dose of R-ALA to 250mg/day and do Idebedone at 100mg/day. It's unbelievable how fucking cheap this **** is. ALCAR at 70$ canadian for a kilo with Idebedone at 40$ CA for 25g. This is almost going to last me a year at 3 or 4gs of ALCAR and 100mg of Idebedone a year, unbelievable. So now this PLCAR stuff, sounds like another good investment.

Has anyone thought about stacking PLCAR and ALCAR? Actually or perhaps take PLCAR one day and ALCAR the next?

What is the recommended dosage for PLCAR? Thanks guys..

Hey one more thing too, should Idebedone be split up into doses or just taken once?

BigSwede

Awards
I'm told that ALCAR and PLCAR don't play well together. I simply alternate every 6 hours or so. I run AL/PL/AL as I try to w/o at 3pm daily. I run a gram of PLCAR before workout.

I would run anitoxidants before bed, single dose.

vision

what is Idebedone?? i looked on 1fast400 and didnt see it... can someone tell me about it and why it is better than CoQ10??

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
what is Idebedone?? i looked on 1fast400 and didnt see it... can someone tell me about it and why it is better than CoQ10??
Its a controversial topic. What's pretty sure is that at a very high dose CoQ10 may become a prooxidant, while Ideb not.

Sleigh

Awards
Its called Idebenone

I just got it yesterday I'm taking right now about 200mg a day without any ALCAR or anything to see if I can really feel any of its nootropic properties. I will tell you I took some before I went to bed and woke up feeling a little groggy at first but now I feel really good, focused, etc.. but that could be anything. Yesterday I had some massive sunlight hit the gym and was on my feet for 7 hours in sales and felt real tired at one point but other than that was pretty good. I can't say I really *felt* something though, but this is only the first day or two. Anyways, I'm still waiting on my ALCAR.

On the avant labs board I read that Idebenone can super oxide heavily, if you search up Idebenone in the search and look for if you are taking idebenone STOP!~! thread you'll see the study the guy posted. The only thing is he is like the only one arguing this so it leaves me skeptic, if I see my cardio drop in soccer and my ability as well then I'll point to Idebenone as I'm on fire right now.

Anyways, adios!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I want to also bump PLCAR. I never really responded to ALCAR but have definitely felt the effects of PLCAR. PLCAR is to muscle what ALCAR is to the brain, more or less. Go here to read more about it: http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1961
But like BigSwede said, it's not advised to take ALCAR and PLCAR together. For future reference, it seems that a PLCAR, K-R-ALA stack (maybe with idebenone) would be somewhat better than ALCAR and R-ALA.

Sleigh

Awards
Heres the thing. I'm looking for ALCAR for more of its mental stimulating properties. I play soccer and the visual and mental cognition of this product is extremely appealing. Does PLCAR also have these abilities to the extent that ALCAR does?

Sleigh

Awards
Alright gents here goes,

Its 12:49 and I did about 50mg of Idebenone in the morning at 50 just in my last meal. All I can tell ya is I can NOTICE an improved state of concentration and mood. Now its not A LOT but its enough to be noticed. I also felt a bit more efficiency in my legs when I was biking this morning. Placebo? Maybe, BUT this is what I'm "feeling".

LATER

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I'd say that ALCAR is definitely the better choice if your main area of interest is increased focus.

BigSwede

Awards
I want to also bump PLCAR. I never really responded to ALCAR but have definitely felt the effects of PLCAR. PLCAR is to muscle what ALCAR is to the brain, more or less. Go here to read more about it: http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1961
But like BigSwede said, it's not advised to take ALCAR and PLCAR together. For future reference, it seems that a PLCAR, K-R-ALA stack (maybe with idebenone) would be somewhat better than ALCAR and R-ALA.
I am a strong-responder to ALCAR, but PLCAR seems to offer a more subtle mental edge along with a dramatic increase in endurance. I give the edge to ALCAR for mental-focus/cognition, but PLCAR wins for me on overall efficacy. As TCO stated; I would definitely stack with the r-isomer ALA and some Idebenone. I think we have an improvement on the Anarchy Stack here.

Sleigh

Awards
Thanks for the info,

now the question is... where can PLCAR be found for kilo sizes at low prices?

BigSwede

Awards
The only vendor I am aware of is bulknutrition. $68 per kilo

Edit: $200/kilo ... $40 for 200g

Sleigh

Awards
Where is it that it says 1kg for $68 of PLCAR? I looked all over and couldn't find it.

Sleigh

Awards
**** that, alright thanks . Maybe when I get a nice fat pay check I'll pick up some of that and some Phosphadatdyl Serine at KiloSports, 500caps 100mg 200$ US. Not bad at at 200mg/day. Anyways, thanks everybody for your help. Idabenone is great btw, pick some up just be weary about super oxidation I'm going ot have to do more research, later!!!